Brewer Fanatic

Dellin Betances

Betances is said to be on the outs in New York. He lost control and fizzled down the stretch, but it might be worthwhile to try to buy low on him.

The Yankees are building for the present, so they wouldn't want a guy from the minors. I'm thinking maybe a swap involving Villar would be good - both players could use a change of scenery and both teams can buy low.

There is still talent in Dellin & I expect the Yanks are willing to move him if the price is correct.

Highly doubt Villar would be enough. More likely you hear the click of the phone hanging up once you confirm your entire offer is Villar for Betances.

I suspect the Yanks will be trying package Dellin with 1 of their bad contracts (Ellsbury/ Headley) so they can get closer to resetting their luxury tax & get ready to spend big next offseason.

I'd do a Betances for Villar deal in about a 1/2 second but I think the demand on the open market would demand far, far more than Villar. I don't think a back-end of the top 100 prospect plus another role player prospect would be out of the question.

I do think it makes sense for the Yankees to move him after the Randy Levine situation from last year. Add in that the Yankees picked up the two relievers from the White Sox and could very well go back and pick up another reliever in free agency, it actually is the perfect time for them to deal Betances.

Masahiro Tanaka had a down year, will be 29, and is owed $60+m over the next 3 seasons. Could we pair Tanaka and Betances and offer a package of players?
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Tanaka has an opt-out that he may exercise so he may be a free agent. If he doesn't exercise the opt-out, he has full no-trade protection so it's nearly impossible to think he would approve a deal to Milwaukee. His contract calls for 67 million over the next three years which would likely kill most of the Brewer's interest. And on top of all of that, it's been reported that he has a partial ligament tear in his elbow.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/tanaka-brilliant-game-leads-questions-opt-out-clause-article-1.3550237

Masahiro Tanaka had a down year, will be 29, and is owed $60+m over the next 3 seasons. Could we pair Tanaka and Betances and offer a package of players?

Tanaka had a terrible May for some reason, but otherwise was his same old self. He has an opt-out this year that I wouldn't be completely shocked if he took. He might be able to do better than 3/$60 on this market. Maybe 5/$100 with another opt-out in 2 years.

Point being, if Tanaka does not opt out, I think it would cost far too many prospects for our liking.

The contract doesn't scare me, but the injury listed in the post above does.

I like the idea of trying to build an elite bullpen to couple with the current starting pitching the Brewers have. Assuming Jimmy Nelson comes back mid-season and is close to what he showed last year, a rotation of Nelson-Anderson-Davies-Woodruff, while not elite, could certainly be above average. Keeping Hader as a Andrew Miller type and Knebel as the closer, if the Brewers can find elite relieving (maybe Swarzak is resigned and is for real) via a deal for Betances may be the best way to improve the pitching in the offseason. I would definitely be open to a deal here depending on what the Yankees view their want is.

I can't see the Yankees trading Tanaka, especially the way he pitched in the playoffs.

Better question: does Tanaka opt out & if so, do the Yankees pay even more to retain him (a la ARod & CC years ago)??

I can't see the Yankees trading Tanaka, especially the way he pitched in the playoffs.

Better question: does Tanaka opt out & if so, do the Yankees pay even more to retain him (a la ARod & CC years ago)??

IMO he'd be stupid not to opt out. Might as well add on 50 million and a couple years to the deal. It's a tough call for the Yankees because they've been burned on so many of the massive contracts they've handed out, but I think they will have to. Their rotation isn't anyting too special (minus Severino), and I think their farm pitching may be another year away.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I have a feeling someone will overpay for Betances.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Tanaka had a terrible May for some reason, but otherwise was his same old self. He has an opt-out this year that I wouldn't be completely shocked if he took. He might be able to do better than 3/$60 on this market. Maybe 5/$100 with another opt-out in 2 years.

Point being, if Tanaka does not opt out, I think it would cost far too many prospects for our liking.

The contract doesn't scare me, but the injury listed in the post above does.

I feel like this has been the case with him since he came over. I think this is the perfect year for the Brewers to go and spend big on a legit ace...there just doesn't seem to be one that I would trust to even get those first couple years out of before the inevitable final couple years where you know you're paying for decreased production.

Archived