Brewer Fanatic

Brewers Sign Eric Sogard to 1 Year Deal

Bombers
Well they’re not gonna have all 3 of Villar, Perez and Sogard on the bench next year. I’m hoping for at least one of them to be in a trade rather than rolling with any. Combo of that threesome as the regular 2B. Not when there are plenty of options on the trade and FA market for 2B and all 3 of those showed they’re better as bench players

I think all three on the bench is an excellent outcome.

Perez is a bit of a power bat off the bench with some speed, and can play eight positions (all but catcher).

Villar is versatile and fast.

Sogard brings OBP skills at three IF positions.

If the Crew could get Walker on a deal structured like Chase Anderson's (two guaranteed years, two team options), this is a bench to ride with when you add the other half of the Phillips/Brinson, Thames/Aguilar, and Pina/Vogt platoons. If the starters are healthy, the Crew has loads of options for extra innings, etc. If someone gets hurt, people are there to step in.

I mentioned the "Bench Mob" the Bulls had earlier this decade. I think the Brewers have MLB's equivalent, and that helped fuel an 86-win season.

That would be a 6 man bench. They’re not doing that. That’s why I’m hoping one of Villar/Perez go since they’d be redundant bench players on a 5 man bench. That would also mean they’re not making the mistake of giving Villar the 2B job again

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it would be so nice for the brewers if Villar returned to his 2015 self and the brewers could rely him to hit leadoff everyday.

2016 self? Yes. I think Villar hit a lot better from August on. The stats say so... I sensed that Counsell gave up on him

When the Brewers acquired Walker I said it was more or less the end of Villar's season. It was.

That along with the CF experiment and Phillips performing well ended Villar's year. Stearns has seen and knows Villar better than anyone in baseball (going back to the HOU days). He obviously believed in him enough to try to sign him to an extension. I would be pretty surprised if he isn't starting on opening day. Too much potential to give up this quickly.

• 3 months later...

If the season started today I think our 12 position players would be Pina, Vogt, Thames, Villar, Sogard, Perez, Arcia, Shaw, Braun, Yelich, Cain & Domingo.

That would leave Maverick, Keon & Aguilar for a possible 13th spot or out in the cold.

Still have a feeling someone(s) listed above is dealt before opening day, but I'd be fine rolling into the season with this group of position players if that's how it shakes out.

• 2 months later...
Stearns waited all the way until June 19 before releasing Feliz. If Sogard doesn't pick it up soon, that day could come a month earlier for him. He's probably safe for two or three more weeks...but beyond that is very questionable.

Stearns waited all the way until June 19 before releasing Feliz. If Sogard doesn't pick it up soon, that day could come a month earlier for him. He's probably safe for two or three more weeks...but beyond that is very questionable.

With Feliz, you had a stretch of good years and a former elite asset (100 MPH arm). You had the time to try to wait it out and see if he got it back.

With Sogard you've got an OK defensive player (at 2B) that has been a basement level hitter except for 2 miracle months last year.

Please use said data to pull the plug much faster.

Archived