Brewer Fanatic

Brewers Sign Eric Sogard to 1 Year Deal

Bombers
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I expected about $2M or so for Sogard - but I thought he could get a two-year deal. Left handed bat, plays a good 2B and an adequate SS. Nice depth.

I will add this. I like the move because a guy like Sogard can help keep the team afloat if there is an injury. We have been killed in the past by having terrible depth. Sogard looks like he can provide that depth.

As noted, he had a career year last season - something we should be wary of. But he's also a different player than before his injury. Let's hope he can sustain his performance.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well they’re not gonna have all 3 of Villar, Perez and Sogard on the bench next year. I’m hoping for at least one of them to be in a trade rather than rolling with any. Combo of that threesome as the regular 2B. Not when there are plenty of options on the trade and FA market for 2B and all 3 of those showed they’re better as bench players

If they can't trade Villar, and considering they couldn't trade Gennett last offseason that's more likely scenario than you think, my guess is they just non-tender him.

Your guess would be wrong. They aren't going to non-tender a 26-year-old who just a year ago hit .285 with decent power and 60 SBs. Regardless of how much you seem to hate Villar, he is going to be given every opportunity to win the 2B job against next spring. The only way he's gone is if he perhaps is part of a trade.

i don't know why you're having such a hard time believing Villar could be non-tendered.

He was very bad in 2017 and doesn't profile well as a utility infielder. Yes, he had a very nice 2016 and based on that, someone will give him a shot at the big league level. Just don't know if that will be us.

I still would put him at more likely to be tendered than not, but the chance of him not is more real than you're making it out to be.

Of course they would prefer a trade, but if one happens it won't be for much. He isn't worth much more if any more than Scooter was worth in the spring.

Non-tender him and we will watch him light it up elsewhere like Scooter did all this season. Meanwhile we will have Sogard’s try hard but wet noodle bat leading off for us and getting on base about 32% of the time. History does tend to repeat itself.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Well they’re not gonna have all 3 of Villar, Perez and Sogard on the bench next year. I’m hoping for at least one of them to be in a trade rather than rolling with any. Combo of that threesome as the regular 2B. Not when there are plenty of options on the trade and FA market for 2B and all 3 of those showed they’re better as bench players

I think all three on the bench is an excellent outcome.

Perez is a bit of a power bat off the bench with some speed, and can play eight positions (all but catcher).

Villar is versatile and fast.

Sogard brings OBP skills at three IF positions.

If the Crew could get Walker on a deal structured like Chase Anderson's (two guaranteed years, two team options), this is a bench to ride with when you add the other half of the Phillips/Brinson, Thames/Aguilar, and Pina/Vogt platoons. If the starters are healthy, the Crew has loads of options for extra innings, etc. If someone gets hurt, people are there to step in.

I mentioned the "Bench Mob" the Bulls had earlier this decade. I think the Brewers have MLB's equivalent, and that helped fuel an 86-win season.

i like this move because it shows other fringe players with major league experience that it's worth striking a minor league deal with an invite to big league camp.

blaine boyer, chris capuano, jake elmore, paolo espino, will middlebrooks, hernan perez, manny pina, josmil pinto and alex presley, along with eric sogard, took gambles accepting minor league deals with the promise of a look in recent spring camps and made their way to the big league roster.

of course, not all panned out, but if you're able to harvest perez, pina and sogard from the scrap heap in two seasons, i say it's worthwhile demonstrating to other fringe players that it's worth taking the minor league deal.

it's expected that a 40-man spot will open up in 2018 by placing jimmy nelson on the 60-day disabled list, so any free agent accepting a minor league deal knows that spot could become his.

i like this move because it shows other fringe players with major league experience that it's worth striking a minor league deal with an invite to big league camp.

blaine boyer, chris capuano, jake elmore, paolo espino, will middlebrooks, hernan perez, manny pina, josmil pinto and alex presley, along with eric sogard, took gambles accepting minor league deals with the promise of a look in recent spring camps and made their way to the big league roster.

of course, not all panned out, but if you're able to harvest perez, pina and sogard from the scrap heap in two seasons, i say it's worthwhile demonstrating to other fringe players that it's worth taking the minor league deal.

it's expected that a 40-man spot will open up in 2018 by placing jimmy nelson on the 60-day disabled list, so any free agent accepting a minor league deal knows that spot could become his.

Indeed, it does. With a track record like that, it does make Milwaukee a place six-year minor-league FAs would consider going to.

Non-tender him and we will watch him light it up elsewhere like Scooter did all this season. Meanwhile we will have Sogard’s try hard but wet noodle bat leading off for us and getting on base about 32% of the time. History does tend to repeat itself.

My honest preference would be to let Villar have one more shot in 2018 at the regular 2B job and give him a long leash with Sogard/Perez as the backups.

I just don't know if they're willing to go into 2018 with that much uncertainty at 2B which is why I don't think Villar being non-tendered is as unthinkable as others do.

I think I wrote about this before but here it is again. I really get tired about hearing about versatility. I would rather have a guy be able to play one position and be great at it rather than three positions and be mediocre to average at all three. All I hear about is rebuild, rebuild, rebuild. Why not bring up a younger guy in Orf instead of signing an older veteran like Sogard. At some point Dubon is going to be up too. They have two to three guys at AAA that could easily play as well as Sogard and are younger. There really is nothing to lose by giving a chance to someone else.

I think I wrote about this before but here it is again. I really get tired about hearing about versatility. I would rather have a guy be able to play one position and be great at it rather than three positions and be mediocre to average at all three. All I hear about is rebuild, rebuild, rebuild. Why not bring up a younger guy in Orf instead of signing an older veteran like Sogard. At some point Dubon is going to be up too. They have two to three guys at AAA that could easily play as well as Sogard and are younger. There really is nothing to lose by giving a chance to someone else.

I get you're sick of hearing it, but versatility is really important. The Brewers (and most teams) now carry an extra arm in the BP. That means the guys on the bench really need to be versatile. Especially last year, as an example, when Aguilar took up one spot and can only play 1B. Another is the backup catcher, of course. So you can't have more guys than that on the bench who can only play one position correct?

1. The history of the Brewers has been one where injuries to key players derail promising seasons. In 1989, it was Molitor getting hurt early on, and the Brewers had Gus Polidor playing third - a guy who couldn't crack the Uecker line in a good year. One reason the Crew got so close in 2017 was they had the depth to take over when someone got hurt. It's about depth.

2. The jump from AAA to the majors is a big one. I think Orf could be Sogard 2.0, but keep in mind, Orf was in Colorado Springs half the time. His walk rate throughout his minor-league career points to him having the OBP skills and versatility to replace Sogard in 2019, but how did Colorado Springs play into those 2017 numbers?

3. Dubon, OTOH, has speed, but his Colorado Springs numbers raise a few red flags. He may well replace Villar if Villar doesn't turn it around in 2018-2019, but his ceiling seems low to me as a backup IF with speed.

4. Sogard came on as a minor-league contract with an invite. He performed well. It benefits the Brewers in the long run to reward those players who perform well in that situation. One, more of those players will be willing to sign with the Crew, and if they work as well as Sogard, Pina, and Perez do, they are cheap assets for the team. Two, such players are denied to the Cubs and Cardinals. Three, those that don't make the club out of spring training will be solid depth at AAA.

someone suggested on Twitter that he might also be a stopgap @ SS if the Crew decides to more Arcia with Dubon waiting in the wings?

Dubon is probably a future career utility infielder himself at the MLB level. The extra speed off the bench is a nice bonus too, but he's not a guy who strikes me as a future lineup regular.

I don't think many people believe Orf could play SS passably and that is the main reason Sogard was chosen (IMO). He can back-up both SS and 2B (possibly starting 2B if Villar/whoever falls). This allows Perez to be primary 3B and OF backup and extra SS/2B backup (assuming trade of Broxton, Phillips starting CF). Rest of the bench is now Aguilar for 1B/PH and backup Catcher (assuming 4-man bench). If we did Orf, Perez becomes the only SS backup and likely primary backup at 2B/3B/SS/OF with Aguilar for 1B and backup catcher. I don't see Orf being a primary backup anywhere so now he becomes a PH that would likely be used after Perez/Aguilar. Could Orf do primary backup at 2B/3B/OF? Maybe, but based on his low scouting/prospect pedigree, I wouldn't expect Stearns/Counsell to go with that plan to start the year. He will have to get luckily and earn it by injury replacement or poor performance.

As for Dubon, I don't think he is ready for mlb competition to start 2018. He had less than a half season at AAA and was only ok (AAA OPS of 739, AA OPS of 689). I could see Dubon looked as the primary IF backup (or possible starter) in 2019 if he does well in 2018, but I expect next year to be a full or near full AAA season.

Right now the brewers have a wonderful situation. Perez is a super sub. Sogard is a good Utility Infielder, Villar and Arcia can start. If Villar struggles they have 2 good options. I have no idea what Walker was looking for to return, but I think their infield is in good shape as of now.

As others have said, I don't see the downside. Sogard, as much as I kept expecting him to cool off last year, maintained an ability to get on base and produce consistent, quality ABs. Especially given the all-or-nothing proclivities of much of the rest of the lineup, I see nothing wrong with having a guy like Sogard available as a pinch hitter and semi-regular.

Could he regress? Sure. Is he young and exciting? Probably not. But John Jay was the absolute most annoying Cub to me this year with a .296/.374/.375 slash. Sogard was .273/.393/.378. Granted, that's one year (SS alert), but I'm more than fine with a 2.4 million dollar gamble on a repeat. Sogard was a 2 win player last year by B-ref WAR, so I see no downside given a free agent win-above-replacement costs what? 8 million?

This and Anderson seem like smart signings to me. Not to mention, I find it easy to root for both guys.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Orf is not a SS. He does not have the arm for the position.

Dubon looks like a utility IF to me - just not enough bat. But let him play full time at AAA in 2018 and see if he can improve. That could put him in position to be a full time 2B in later 2018 or 2019 (if Villar falters). Or just better prepare him for life in the majors as a utility guy.

Hence, Sogard will provide a back up for 2018 at the middle IF spots - in particular for Arcia (I don't want Perez or Orf or Villar there if possible).

Those who are upset seem to think that Eric has just been handed the 2B job for next year. Stearns and Co are smart enough to know that he's not the 900 OPS guy he was for a few weeks. If that's who they think he is they wouldn't have acquired Walker. He's signed to be a bench/utility guy and if circumstances dictate it he can be released for very little in ST.

Im not a fan at the moment. Im guessing, the deal allows Stearns to put either Villar or Perez up for trade.

Dubon gets a longer look before a call up when/if needed. I cant see Sogard, Villar, and Perez remaining on Opening Day roster all together. This just solidifies the infield when that trade happens.

Those who are upset seem to think that Eric has just been handed the 2B job for next year. Stearns and Co are smart enough to know that he's not the 900 OPS guy he was for a few weeks. If that's who they think he is they wouldn't have acquired Walker. He's signed to be a bench/utility guy and if circumstances dictate it he can be released for very little in ST.

Maybe Stearns views it as you say, maybe he doesn’t. But Counsell played this guy way too much down the stretch and led him off in the process. That’s my concern with this guy. Too much playing time for a meh player with little to no upside.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

To me, Sogard sucks. I respect him because of his hard work, good attitude type of guy but he’s a wet noodle hitter that hopes for a walk. I guess that’s fine since the rest of our team swings for the fences but just not buying that he is of any real value and most likely be played way too much because Counsell loves these types of guys. He’s a AAA bat that is solid at 2B and just okay everywhere else. Was really hoping Stearns wasn’t drinking the koolaid on this one.

I think that right there is why Sogard is here and Gennett is not. For bench players how they fit is as important as overall production. The Brewers don't have a lot of batters who take walks so he brings something to the table we don't have a lot of. That is worth a couple million when taking his versatility and defense into account.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

He's signed to be a bench/utility guy and if circumstances dictate it he can be released for very little in ST.

I'm not sure what you mean by released for very little in ST. The Brewers are on the hook for the full $2.4M regardless if he is on the team or not, right? Maybe you mean $2.4M is little.

To me that means if he reverts to no-bat Sogard, they won't feel compelled to keep him around because of his contract. They will just eat the contract. So I don't know why anyone's undies are in a bundle regarding this signing. I guess those that are, wanted a Walker signing instead?....

I'm not even sure the Sogard signing would preempt the Brewers from signing Walker. This just gives them a little leverage in negotiations and if they sign Walker, they just trade Sogard (eat some money) or Perez.

I assume Villar is on the roster no matter what to begin the year (there will not be a non-tender), unless some team comes forward to offer a decent trade.

I'm relatively convinced that Nate Orf can hit MLB pitching. I hope he gets the opportunity. Could be a nice little platoon with Sogard until Hiura is ready....

Personally I would go with Villar for 155 games or so at 2B in 2018

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

it would be so nice for the brewers if Villar returned to his 2015 self and the brewers could rely him to hit leadoff everyday.

2016 self? Yes. I think Villar hit a lot better from August on. The stats say so... I sensed that Counsell gave up on him

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

it would be so nice for the brewers if Villar returned to his 2015 self and the brewers could rely him to hit leadoff everyday.

2016 self? Yes. I think Villar hit a lot better from August on. The stats say so... I sensed that Counsell gave up on him

When the Brewers acquired Walker I said it was more or less the end of Villar's season. It was.

Archived