Brewer Fanatic

Cardinals hire Mike Maddux as pitching coach

owbc
Community Moderator

Being reported on Twitter.

Obviously we know what Maddux is capable of given his track record, it's a bummer to have him back in the NL Central and especially with the Cards. One has to wonder how the Nationals let him get away.

You don't like this as a Brewer fan. Mad dog was an awesome pitching coach when he was with the Crew. I can still hear Rock quoting Mike, " you throw strikes early, so you don't have to throw them late." The Cards didn't need this!! They already have the ability to make anyone look like Cy Young. Hopefully Derek Johnson can continue his impressive coaching so far and render the Cards obsolete! !!!

The hope has to be that the Cards get humiliated by the Crew in 2018, they do a clean sweep, and Maddux can get a good pitching coach job. Preferably in the American League.

I have that hope every year. The Cards aren't known for having a quick trigger on managers, but then again they are not known for having losing seasons.

You don't like this as a Brewer fan. Mad dog was an awesome pitching coach when he was with the Crew. I can still hear Rock quoting Mike, " you throw strikes early, so you don't have to throw them late." The Cards didn't need this!! They already have the ability to make anyone look like Cy Young. Hopefully Derek Johnson can continue his impressive coaching so far and render the Cards obsolete! !!!

I don't remember him as being all that. I can remember countless times where he went to the mound to settle down a pitcher and the very next pitch went flying out of the park. He was very overrated. He's competent sure, but so are lots of guys. Some of his Texas staffs were pretty poor too.

Why do pitching coaches get passed around so much?

Don Cooper's been with the White Sox since 2002. He's on his third or fourth manager. Rick Honeycutt's in his 12th season with the Dodgers. He's been through several managers too.

If Maddux was so good, teams would have their new managers keep him. He's not.

Archived