Brewer Fanatic

Brewers extend Chase Anderson

StearnsFTW

No details on how much he's going to get paid, but very glad to hear that they at least got his first year of free agency covered in this deal and now he is cost controlled for the next 4 years. Very good news for the Brewers I'd say.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/2017/10/26/brewers-give-right-hander-chase-anderson-two-year-contract-two-option-years/802027001/

MLBTR, says he is entering 2nd year of Super 2 Arb? Weird that they'd have an option on his last year. Also quite lights if he's making under 12mil for 2nd and 3rd year of Super 2 before what must be about 10 and 12million on option years.

Wow, so here's the numbers

8:34am: The two options are valued at $8.5MM and $9.5MM, MLBTR has learned (Twitter link). Both contain $500K buyouts.

8:26am: Anderson will be guaranteed $11.75MM over the two guaranteed years of the deal, reports FanRag’s Jon Heyman (on Twitter). MLB.com’s Adam McCalvy, meanwhile, tweets that Anderson can earn up to $31.35MM over the four years if both options are exercised and if Anderson meets all of the incentives that are baked into the deal.

Thanks Chase!

I wonder how much Jimmy Nelson's injury affected Chase's thinking here. I think he clearly left some (lots?) of money on the table with this deal vs. going year to year, but better to have financial security in place than potentially going down with a career altering injury.

I wonder how much Jimmy Nelson's injury affected Chase's thinking here. I think he clearly left some (lots?) of money on the table with this deal vs. going year to year, but better to have financial security in place than potentially going down with a career altering injury.

No doubt the Brewers would have offered an extension to Nelson had he not been injured. Jumping in and getting it done with Anderson who saw what can happen close up was a shrewd move. If he's good but the Brewers don't contend over the next couple years, he's prime trade bait. If they do contend, he's still affordable. Davies could be next?

Relatively low risk deal for the Brewers. Even if Anderson reverts back to what he was they just finished paying Garza 12 million a year and this is $12 million over two year. If Anderson continues to play well they control him through his age 33 season.

No doubt the Brewers would have offered an extension to Nelson had he not been injured. Jumping in and getting it done with Anderson who saw what can happen close up was a shrewd move. If he's good but the Brewers don't contend over the next couple years, he's prime trade bait. If they do contend, he's still affordable. Davies could be next?

If I recall Davies has Boras as his agent. I doubt that Davies signs a deal like this and instead goes year to year until FA.

Yes, it's a good deal for the Brewers. But I think it's a good deal for Chase too, just ask Villar. He had a really good year, but what if he reverts back to his norm or worse gets injured? If I were him, I would have taken this deal too. Hard to turn down a huge chunk of money.

Or, as a wise man once said: "If anyone ever offers you 10,000 to 1 odds on anything, you take it."

Absolutely nothing not to like about this. Worst case scenario if something happens we can back out prior to what would have been his last arby year. Best case scenario if he continues to pitch as he did in 2017 we've got him for 4 more years now instead of 3.

There is almost literally no risk for us in this deal.

What a great deal and so awesome to hear a guy that wants to commit to what is happening in Milwaukee. Hopefully, this past calendar year is what we are getting and we have one of the better pitchers in the NL on our hands for a really reasonable contract.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

With Chase signing a team friendly, relatively low cost deal, let the conversations of his trade value and the numerous top 100 prospects we could get begin in 3...2....1

I can't see why the brewers would do this to trade him. They are getting closer and closer to being a contender so there is no sense in trading one of their top 2 starters who is in a team friendly deal for 4 seasons. Especially with Nelson missing "significant time" this season, he will be looked at to lead the pitching staff not be trade bait.

With Chase signing a team friendly, relatively low cost deal, let the conversations of his trade value and the numerous top 100 prospects we could get begin in 3...2....1

I can't see why the brewers would do this to trade him. They are getting closer and closer to being a contender so there is no sense in trading one of their top 2 starters who is in a team friendly deal for 4 seasons. Especially with Nelson missing "significant time" this season, he will be looked at to lead the pitching staff not be trade bait.

It's a joke...since some people on here always think we should trade peole. No matter what.

(Repeats most everyone else)

I really like this deal. The best case scenario is a steal, the worst case is, like others have said, better than Garza or Suuuuup.

"There's more people to ignore in New York or in Boston than there are in Milwaukee, but I would still ignore them, probably."

-Zack Greinke

If (big IF) Nelson comes back strong, Hader turns into a TOR starter, Burnes looks like a #2, Woodruff puts up solid #3 type numbers, Davies remains a solid #3, Oritz/Peralta/Wilkerson/Supak/... continue strong milb performances in 2018, I would happily trade Chase in 2019. Heck, I'd be happy to trade Chase for an awesome package if only three of those five players I mentioned look good and the minor league players look ready.

Likewise, if we get offered some awesome prospects for Chase (better than the Quintana deal) at the 2018 trade deadline (if we are out of it) or in 2019 offseason regardless of how the rest of the team is doing, I would happily trade Chase.

Also, if our team falls apart in 2018, prospects start to look like busts and we need to re-rebuild (or re-tool) for 2021, trading Chase could get us several people to make us better for 2021/2022/2023/2024/...

That being said, none of this is now and I would think it terrible to trade a player the same offseason as getting an extension no matter the offer (bad precedent if nothing else), but I expect these discussions to occur in 2018/2019 if any of the above happens.

I had concerns about whether we should offer Anderson a multi-year contract, but this deal is a no-brainer. Congrats to Anderson for guaranteeing he's going to make a lot of money, and as a Brewer fan I'm happy to have him locked up to a team-friendly deal.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Archived