Brewer Fanatic

Jump on the Harvey Bandwagon?!!

I know a lot of you are all about Loewen. That is cool, but I am really liking the look of this Ryan Harvey. The kid is 6'5 and he is going to fill in the rest later as he grows. I am liking this guy a lot. I mean how many people come back from ACL surgery in five months and then jack a homer in his first game 400 ft!!

I don't know about the rest of the crew here, but I am definately jumping on because I do not think it will be that hard of sign either. These kids want to play pro ball now than latter. I don't know if it will truly take 4 mil to sign him either.

Any thoughts?!

Toby put it best on the other thread talking about how he would go on a rant if we don't take Loewen, but in the end will be happy with whomever we select (within reason of course, one player out of Weeks, Young or Harvey-if not Loewen).

However, there is a big reason I think I would stay away from Harvey & that is his knee injury. While ACL problems aren't nearly as serious for baseball players as they are for football players, the Brewers have had a pretty nasty career betting against the odds & taking guys with big warning signs (Gold & Neugie in '98 being exhibits A & B). A pitcher with an arm concern actually is probably comparable to a running back with a knee problem, but still, even a suspect knee on a future right-fielder has got to be a big red flag.

the Brewers have had a pretty nasty career betting against the odds & taking guys with big warning signs (Gold & Neugie in '98 being exhibits A & B).

Good point and I would add that Kyle Peterson was another example of a player with warning signs that turned out bad. If this were baseball the 3 strikes and you're out rule would be in effect. Oh wait.....nevermind.

I just have a prediliction towards taking pitchers over hitters, in most circumstances, if they are considered equal talents. I think it is a lot tougher to find good pitching, and if you have to take chances on pitchers, go for it (to a point). Loewen doesn't really have an injury that should affect his status, while the same can not be said for Harvey, and that's why I would be Harvey in the second tier of guys to be drafted (in the 4-9 range), though he may be at the front of that list.

Well we know that Loewen is gone, so now the debate is whether it will be Young or Harvey to me. Tampa seems pretty sure that they will take either Weeks or Young.

Preferrably I would like either Young or Harvey. I just think we might just end up with Harvey. Weeks isn't even scheduled for a workout with us. Is it a hint maybe?

Archived