Brewer Fanatic

Bring back Jake Odorizzi

ewitkows

Bumping this thread...

With the talk about the Brewers casting a wide net for SP, and discussions on this board focusing on Archer, if the Brewers are focusing on acquiring said SP via trade, they would be better off to try and acquire Odorizzi. I know the fear of him being a fly ball pitcher in Miller Park are real, but the cost of acquiring him would surely be less than what it would be to acquire Archer.

Tampa appears set in the OF with Dickerson, Kiermaier and Souza, at 3B and SS with Longoria, Adames and possibly at C with Wilson Ramos. Their big hole appears to be 1B with Morrison leaving and SP. If Braun is serious about a potential move to 1B, it would open Aguilar to be dealt and Aguilar just screams a Tampa-type player to me. Would an Aguilar, Supak and Ponce be enough to get Odorizzi?

Even if it isn't, I believe this is the type of move that the Brewers should be focusing on to improve the rotation. Trading from the mid-teens of the prospects to improve the rotation rather than draining the top of the prospects list of Brinson, Ortiz, Burnes to acquire an Archer.

If Braun is serious about a potential move to 1B, it would open Aguilar to be dealt and Aguilar just screams a Tampa-type player to me. Would an Aguilar, Supak and Ponce be enough to get Odorizzi?

Not knocking the idea but one thing to recall - Tampa manager Kevin Cash spent time in Cleveland before landing this job. He would be familiar with Aguilar and that could be a good OR bad thing (depending on Cash's experiences with Jesus in Cleveland/ spring training).

Odorizzi's career ERA+ is 103 and just 100 this past year. No 200IP to rely on. Posts similar numbers that he did in the minors that shows no ceiling at all aside from a #3 pitcher. He'll have 3 years of team control that goes through Super 2 Arb so it'll get pricey for what he produces. Ponce on his own to me has higher potential than Odorizzi brings. Tampa would definitely do the deal if that was the offer as Aguilar really fits their 1b profile,needs, cheap, under team control. With Ponce being a guy that may end up pitching for them when September rolls around. I'd expect Tampa moves one of Archer or Odorizzi, with Archer being on a sell high pedestal while Odorizzi is on a buy low pedestal. Odorizzi would remain to work on value and be a target around trade deadline if he's doing better than he was in 2017.

I'd rather send a better package to Tampa for Archer vs. the smaller package for Odorizzi and the ceiling he brings which I see as Archer's floor. The type of pitcher Odorizzi is something the Brewers farm has plenty of and better, just give those guys some time.

Odorizzi's career ERA+ is 103 and just 100 this past year. No 200IP to rely on. Posts similar numbers that he did in the minors that shows no ceiling at all aside from a #3 pitcher. He'll have 3 years of team control that goes through Super 2 Arb so it'll get pricey for what he produces. Ponce on his own to me has higher potential than Odorizzi brings. Tampa would definitely do the deal if that was the offer as Aguilar really fits their 1b profile,needs, cheap, under team control. With Ponce being a guy that may end up pitching for them when September rolls around. I'd expect Tampa moves one of Archer or Odorizzi, with Archer being on a sell high pedestal while Odorizzi is on a buy low pedestal. Odorizzi would remain to work on value and be a target around trade deadline if he's doing better than he was in 2017.

I'd rather send a better package to Tampa for Archer vs. the smaller package for Odorizzi and the ceiling he brings which I see as Archer's floor. The type of pitcher Odorizzi is something the Brewers farm has plenty of and better, just give those guys some time.

While I may not agree with the bold part, this is a great and well thought out response as to why the Brewers shouldn't deal for a mid-rotation starter.

• 4 weeks later...

The Rays have 6 outfielders on their 40 man roster but one is Jake Bauers who has played mostly 1B and is transitioning to the OF and another is Justin Williams who is a AA player that is not MLB ready. Their first baseman from last year, Logan Morrison, is a free agent so there is a good chance Bauers goes back to 1B. Dickerson was by far-and-away the team leader in at-bats from the DH position last year. If one assumes that Bauers ends up at first base and Morrison once again has to fill the DH spot then they only Kiermaier, Souza and Mallix Smith as MLB outfielders. There may not be a huge need for an everyday starter for them but they do need to add another outfielder to the mix and adding someone like Broxton gives them the option for using Dickerson as the DH again if that's how their roster shakes out in April.

I'd definitely do a straight up trade of Broxton for Odorizzi. All the numbers scream that Odorizzi is a pitcher to stay away from, but on the flip side Broxton has plenty of numbers himself which indicate he might end up going over the cliff in 2018 (and his offensive performance in 2017 wasn't exactly a thing of beauty to begin with).

Comment from a Rays fan on Brew Crew Ball asking if the Brewers would have interest in trading Broxton straight up for Odorizzi. Not sure why the Rays would need a OF with Kiermaier, Souza, Dickerson (unless they are moving one of them) but I absolutely would do Broxton-Odorizzi.

I hope that Rays fan is their GM.

Comment from a Rays fan on Brew Crew Ball asking if the Brewers would have interest in trading Broxton straight up for Odorizzi. Not sure why the Rays would need a OF with Kiermaier, Souza, Dickerson (unless they are moving one of them) but I absolutely would do Broxton-Odorizzi.

DH?

Archer is being marketed as if he's an ace. He's not even close. Now for 5 innings, he looks the part but rarely if ever gets past the 6th. An overpay is an overpay. I'd rather pay the cost of a number 3 and get a number 3 than pay the going rate for an ace, and get an average at best, number 2.

Odorizzi's WHIP since becoming a starter: 1.280, 1.152, 1.194, and 1.242. That's pitching in the NL East where he faced some very tough lineups. Nelson's WHIP in 4 seasons: 1.457, 1.286, 1.517, 1.249.

That's right, even last year, by far Nelson's best, Odorizzi had a better WHIP. Sure he's a flyball pitcher, but he's consistently fanned 8 or more per 9 innings and that's without facing the opposing pitcher in the vast majority of his starts.

Archived