Brewer Fanatic

What ever happened to Matt Harrington

I remember he was that monster prospect who turned down like 4 million from the Rockies and then i believe the Padres drafted him and he turned down a million from them.

Did he ever sign with anybody or is he out of baseball pumping gas somewhere??

From this week's TopProspectAlert Weekly, under the Cold List:

9. Matt Harrington, RHP, no team: Could be drafted for a third time this year. Turned down more than $5 million from Colorado in 2000 as the No. 7 pick and now can't even get $500,000. 0-1 with a 5.73 ERA pitching for the Fort Worth Cats of the independent Central Baseball League. How pathetic.

Harrington's advisor is indeed Scott Boras. However, the first time around I believe it was Tommy Tanzer. He turned down 7 figures TWICE!

Not sure what the heck he is waiting for, as he'll continue to drop this year. He'll be lucky to make 6 figures.

I hadn't realized that he was a HS teammate of Dana Eveland (I do remember Mike Rizzo talking about watching Matt pitch with the Long Beach Breakers and I guess that should have clued me in)...maybe the Brewers will spend a second day pick on him and reunite the former teammates...sadly, Harrington would have to come a long way before he would be ready to pitch on the same team as Eveland.

I just talked to the Harrington family and Matt will back in the draft as things did not work out with the rays.

Yes Dana and Matt were teamates and oddly enough Dana's brother and Matt brother were teammates this year as well at varsity for Palmdale high school.

We had a party over my house this weekend and the Harringtons were over and they were pretty fustrated about the whole situation, Matt has been doing pretty well acordining to them at Fort Worth this year and feels very strong , since I know them so well I really wish them all the best. We also had the Cables over and Jason would also be a nice fit for the Brewers . Best case would be all 3 Palmdale kids playing for the Brewers but I kind of doubt if that would happen.

Mike

I guess when you start dealing with big numbers on a regular basis it maybe easy to lose perspective. It's one thing to try and maximize your bonus, since for a lot of these players that's all they'll ever really make as a player. So you want to try and grab that slice of the dream, but I wonder sometimes if they forget to assess what they are turning down. After a couple of million just about any non-Enron investment strategy would allow you to effectively "retire" and live a very comfortable middle class lifestyle. So given the risks if you've taken a deep breath and looked over the possibilities why try and holdout for that last couple hundred thousand. That's what stuns me so much about the Harrington thing. Here's to hoping he does get things turned around.

Harrington's advisor is indeed Scott Boras. However, the first time around I believe it was Tommy Tanzer. He turned down 7 figures TWICE!

Yep it was Tanzer and I do believe the Harrington's have filed a lawsuit against him for misrepresentation.

Archived