Brewer Fanatic

Packer Offense Adjustments for Hundley

CheezWizHed
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's a QB-driven league. Assuming they lose to the well-rested Steelers next week, they will be 0-4 against 3 Super Bowl winning QB's and Matthew Stafford. You either have the man or you don't.

Flacco may be a Super Bowl winning QB, but he still sucks and is by no means the reason today ended in a loss.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

It's a QB-driven league. Assuming they lose to the well-rested Steelers next week, they will be 0-4 against 3 Super Bowl winning QB's and Matthew Stafford. You either have the man or you don't.

Flacco may be a Super Bowl winning QB, but he still sucks and is by no means the reason today ended in a loss.

I know he's been the beneficiary of some good defenses, but I'd love to see the Packers start a Joe Flacco-caliber QB next week.

I know he's been the beneficiary of some good defenses, but I'd love to see the Packers start a Joe Flacco-caliber QB next week.

If this Packers team had Flacco as a QB, they are probably an 8-8 team. He's not good. He doesn't elevate anyone.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Is Hundley that much better than Callahan in practice that he's still starting? Is Callahan that bad? Is MM just that stubborn he doesn't want to admit Hundley shouldn't be starting? I can't figure what Hundley is bringing to the offense that anybody else wouldn't.

One offensive adjustment needs to be run more, so Hundley isnt dropping back over 40times in the game.

Second is quick passes...as Ive barked on how the offense always jumps in to gear when they finally did this during games.

In Hundleys case, he's clearly not ready to be a pocket passer. 3 step dropbacks and throw. Just gotta accept big plays are few and far between, and push for more productive little plays. Toss in an on purpose overthrown deep go route to keep the defense back from thinking nothing is thrown beyond 6yards and crowding.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I think a nice adjustment would be signing a quarterback better than Hundley.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Hundley gained 148 yards on his 3 TD passes. On his other 28 dropbacks:

14 completions for 97 yards (6.92 per pass)

1 rush, 6 yards.

4 sacks, -18 yards.

9 incompletions

Net: 28 dropbacks, 85 yards, 3 yards per dropback.

Pulled this off of Twitter. Thought it was interesting.

That makes sense. Overall numbers looked very good (QB rating of 134.3+), but he didn't strike me as playing THAT well. He deserves credit for the big plays too (at least a couple of them), but his overall numbers are a bit of a paper tiger.

I think the adjustment was made last week to put in more running (zone read) plays for him to get positive yardage. To be honest, this play should even be in there for Rodgers more often. Yes, you run the risk of him getting clobbered but that's where his intelligence just needs to be up there and get down whenever anyone is near him. You can get big chunk yardage plays with this play alone.

I think the adjustment was made last week to put in more running (zone read) plays for him to get positive yardage. To be honest, this play should even be in there for Rodgers more often. Yes, you run the risk of him getting clobbered but that's where his intelligence just needs to be up there and get down whenever anyone is near him. You can get big chunk yardage plays with this play alone.

No way in hell should the Packers be running the read option with Rodgers. His health is far to important to risk injury beyond his scrambling when the pocket breaks down.

Hundley is a lot younger, a vastly inferior passer, and nowhere near as valuable, so the risk is worth making him a runner multiple times a game compared to if Aaron is in the game.

Once a QB becomes a runner, he loses all of his protections and as much as you could say, well Rodgers would just need to be smart, the athletes on an NFL defense are all really big and fast. It would only take one big hit from a guy Aaron didn't see coming to ruin a Packers season, especially given he has to carry the bad defenses Ted puts together every year for the team to have a chance at the playoffs.

No way in hell should the Packers be running the read option with Rodgers. His health is far to important to risk injury beyond his scrambling when the pocket breaks down.

Hundley is a lot younger, a vastly inferior passer, and nowhere near as valuable, so the risk is worth making him a runner multiple times a game compared to if Aaron is in the game.

Once a QB becomes a runner, he loses all of his protections and as much as you could say, well Rodgers would just need to be smart, the athletes on an NFL defense are all really big and fast. It would only take one big hit from a guy Aaron didn't see coming to ruin a Packers season, especially given he has to carry the bad defenses Ted puts together every year for the team to have a chance at the playoffs.

Not talking about running it 10-15 times a game but it for sure should be in there once or twice. 99% of the time there is no defender there for 10 yards. Plenty of times on 3rd and 2 where if Rodgers pulls it and runs, he has an easy first down.

Weird, he played well when they were forced to run the spread. Stop trying to make him something he is not.

Rodgers is back.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

• 2 weeks later...

No Rodgers, no Adams, no Bulaga, no Evans, Spriggs goes out on the first play, Nelson goes out in the 2nd quarter, no Matthews, no Perry, no Randall, no King. Lucas Patrick in at RG, McCray in at RT, and a WR corp of Allison, Davis, Janis, and Michael Clark. Kendricks and Allison dropping passes, and Davis calling fair catches at the five yard line.

What the hell is Hundley supposed to do?

Oh please. We can list off excuses but Hundley is not a starting QB in this league.

I was a huge hundley supporter but dude has had plenty of opportunity to improve and at this point prob for the most part he is who he is. So why not at least give Callahan a chance? Especially in this game in the third or fourth quarter? Hundley had done nothing what is there to lose? Don't u want to at least see what u got in him going into next season? But I guess that just shows u what they must think of him if he still hasn't seen the field.

Conspiracy part of me wonders what a fiend of mine thinks that McCarthy is not playing him at this point because if callahan did play well people would question why he didn't play him earlier in the season. Could McCarthy be that stubborn?

I think it’s more that Hundley is a draft pick investment and Callahan is just some guy.

Archived