Brewer Fanatic

Packer Offense Adjustments for Hundley

CheezWizHed

I'm a big believer that had McCarthy not been given two HOF caliber QB's while he's been the Packers' head coach, he'd have been fired a long time ago. Judging by yesterday's "game plan" with Hundley starting, my guess is that opinion will be cemented as fact for most of Packer nation by the end of this season. To me, the last 7 quarters of football shows just how much control Rodgers had over calling plays at the line of scrimmage.

It's really unfortunate, because this year Thompson strayed from his typical offseason plan, and he added veteran pieces at key places of need both offensively and defensively...to have this year go down in flames due to Rodgers' injury is crippling to their organization. Look around at the rest of the NFC - if Rodgers stays healthy they are likely a #1 or 2 seed with a great shot at getting back to the Super Bowl. Without him, this roster wasted it's last best shot and will be in need for some big time retooling before 2018.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm always amazed at people not willing to give McCarthy credit. Rodgers probably isn't the QB he is today without him. Favre doesn't change at the end of his career without him.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I'm always amazed at people not willing to give McCarthy credit. Rodgers probably isn't the QB he is today without him. Favre doesn't change at the end of his career without him.

Yep, he is a great QB coach. Not a HC. There are lots of great coaches in all sports that can't be a good much less great HEAD coach.

And I'll even give MM more credit that that. I think he was a really good HC. But time is way overdue to move on. He has his window won a SB, can't live off 2011 forever. TT is really getting a pass here too. Capers should have been gone a long time ago too, but it's not like TT has provided him with a boat load of talent.

I'm on an island, I know, but I've been calling for a complete overhaul for over 3 years now.

Given that AROD didn't go on the DL, I wonder if that means he can beat the 8 week return?

He went on the dl Thursday or Friday, after his surgery.

Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

I really didn't have a huge problem with this game. We lost because we suck without Rodgers...bottom line. The offense did a lot better than I thought they would. Hundley looked suprisingly comfortable consistently evading pressure and not bailing out too soon. He also made pretty good throwing decisions minus throwing a deep ball in the field of play which is almost surely a INT with him. Too bad he sucks on anything being thrown over 10-15 yards making him completely useless. That terrible throw to Montgomery was also pretty cringe worthy.

Hundley just isn't someone who is going to put together very good drives. To make matters worse he has zero big play ability with his arm making it a total dream to actually get down the field. Unless Aaron Jones is legitimately going to help Hundley out(my fantasy team hopes so) this offense will sputter and get out scored 9/10.

Yep, he is a great QB coach. Not a HC. There are lots of great coaches in all sports that can't be a good much less great HEAD coach.

And I'll even give MM more credit that that. I think he was a really good HC. But time is way overdue to move on. He has his window won a SB, can't live off 2011 forever. TT is really getting a pass here too. Capers should have been gone a long time ago too, but it's not like TT has provided him with a boat load of talent.

I'm on an island, I know, but I've been calling for a complete overhaul for over 3 years now.

Capers should've been gone after the 15-1 year when they gave up more points than any other team in the league. It was laughable he was kept around.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Too bad he sucks on anything being thrown over 10-15 yards making him completely useless.

Know who didn't suck at throwing the deep ball?

http://theheckler.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/2013-9-30-UncleRico.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Is he allowed to audible? I can't remember hearing one in the last game.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Two starts and two losses where the opposing QBs were seasoned vets Brees and Stafford. Now they get Bears and Trubisky, a rookie making his 5th start and the playing field is equalized a bit at the position. If the Packers defense is going to rise up and give them a chance, this has to be the week. Ravens offense the next week isn't very good either. They have to get off the field and set the offense up with some decent field position. It's way too early to give up on Hundley. He's making some progress. One of these weeks he's going to have a break out performance and McCarthy is going to fine tune his game plan to allow his talents to show. Hopefully it's sooner rather than later.

Hundley had a passer rating of 88 last week, which was considerably higher than the games against Minnesota and New Orleans. I think his arrow is still trending up, but his ceiling seems to be lower than I once thought it was. In any case, Go Pack!

Football IQ isn’t there yet. Called a timeout today when the first quarter was going to expire anyways. Never sees the blitz. Had opportunities to run today and didn’t. Just not too impressed with this guy.

Annnnnd then he put together a great drive to put them back up by 10. Maybe it is the play calling holding him back, I don’t know. He looked great there.

Seems to always roll right and rarely attacks the line of scrimmage when doing so. Rodgers needs to teach him the reverse pivot roll left play.

I guess he did have a hammy issue today.

You have to really be nitpicking to criticize his performance today. He was solid, protected the ball (2nd straight game with no inteceptions), and made big plays in the 4th quarter with the game on the line. With the team rushing for 160 yards, dare I say his performance was very "Zak Prescott" like. Over his last two games he's completed close to 70% of his passes.

It's amazing how so many football experts took his lackluster performance in his first couple of games playing meaningful time and concluded he wasn't a capable NFL quarterback. You don't draw conclusions about a player in baseball over 1/8th of a season nor should you in the NFL. He's not Aaron Rodgers. That doesn't mean he can't help his team win. He's settling in and getting comfortable in his role. He'll continue to fine tune. With 3 of the next 4 games very, very winnable, it's possible the Packers could go into their last 3 games with an 8-5 record and a playoff spot within reach. Then we'll see if Rodgers can return or Hundley can lead them to a playoff berth.

He had no interceptions, but two really bad passes to the sideline that were a tick from getting picked off. The first one would have been a pick 6. As the announcers pointed out, another time it was 3rd and short, he had his first option on a slant for the 1st down, and just didn't throw it.

Good news is he showed a nice touch on deep balls, which was the big knock against him coming in to the League. All in all, he looked like about 75% of the QBs in the NFL these days. Some great passes, and a lot of poor plays. It was odd he didn't run at all. They must have emphasized keeping a play alive and look downfield.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I'd be happy with Hundley if was a rookie. Having 3 years to practice and playing pretty "meh" while making very rookie mistakes (focusing on one side of the field, late passes, missing the blitz, etc..) is disappointing. He might be work his way up to being an ok backup. But seeing how raw he still looks makes me think that he will be nothing but a backup. But he did look better than Trubisky.

I'd be happy with Hundley if was a rookie. Having 3 years to practice and playing pretty "meh" while making very rookie mistakes (focusing on one side of the field, late passes, missing the blitz, etc..) is disappointing. He might be work his way up to being an ok backup. But seeing how raw he still looks makes me think that he will be nothing but a backup. But he did look better than Trubisky.

Has anyone said he will turn into or should be anything more?

There are some pretty terrible QBs out there. He could end up lower starter material due to his legs. He does make some really idiotic plays though. Sitting around on a bench only helps so much. My top two fails of the week were when he dived onto his throwing shoulder for absolutely no reason and when he chucked the ball out of bounds when he easily had some positive yard to run for. I don’t even expect that out of a 18 year old college freshman.

Has anyone said he will turn into or should be anything more?

Why shouldn't he? There was some consideration (small consideration) that he would've been a 1st round pick.

I keep waiting to see something from Hundley that makes me think he's worth it. That throw to Adams for the touchdown was nice a week ago but other than that, I'm just not buying that this guy is an NFL starter.

Sadly, it seems like he made the wrong decision on nearly every play today. Rushed, hold the ball, sack. Rushed, throw the ball, pick. Rushed, have time, roll out, get sacked holding the ball too long. Roll out, need to make a play, throw it, pick. Roll out, need to throw it because it's 4th down, throw it away or take the sack.

I thought he took a step forward last week. This was a massive leap backwards.

The Packers probably needed to win 3 games with Rodgers out to have a legit shot if he comes back with two to play. Last week was one, this week looked to be a possible win- at home, struggling offensive team with a below-500 record. Losing this one hurts a ton, especially when the defense actually played really well considering the crap field position they were constantly being put in.

Archived