Brewer Fanatic

Brewers who didn't make it but you think could have

OldSchoolSnapper
Vinny Rottino put together a huge season at Beloit in 2004 and played multiple positions. He always seemed like he was a candidate for the 25th spot on the roster, but never made the club out of spring training. I figured his fate as a career minor leaguer was sealed when they had him put on the catching gear in order to improve his versatility. I think he ended up on the Italian roster for the first World Baseball Classic, mostly because he had an Italian sounding name.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The late Jose Capellan. He was an as exciting of a relief prospect as you'd see when we acquired him for closer Danny Kolb. The scouting reports raved about his fastball which reportedly sat in the mid to upper 90s and hit triple digits at times. Unfortunately when he was called up to Milwaukee his upper 90s fastball looked a lot more like 91-92 and never lived up to the hype.

Yeah, Capellan was a definite disappointment. I also recall him having some attitude issues during his time here.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

So many to choose from but I'm going with Jim Tatum. He, John Jaha and Dave Nilsson moved up together and Tatum put up some big numbers at both El Paso and Denver in the early 90s. If I remember correctly the Rockies took him in the expansion draft and I don't recall what happened to him after that (fully recognizing I could easily look it up), but I seem to remember him going overseas to play.

For the poster who brought it up, Angel Salome was always jacked up.

Freeman, Stanicek, Newfield, Braggs, Tatum, Eldred.

You people really know how to depress a guy.

Two I don't think I've seen mentioned: Randy Ready; David Green, whom we at least pawned off on the Cardinals (along with Sixto Lezcano, who looked like a generational star as late as age 28).

Eric Arnett absolutely dominated in some of his starts for the T-Rats, but he also got completely obliterated at times too. He always seemed to be a guy who would figure things out.
"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Eric Arnett absolutely dominated in some of his starts for the T-Rats, but he also got completely obliterated at times too. He always seemed to be a guy who would figure things out.

There's a name I try to forget about. Maybe it's just me, but I don't recall ever having hope of him becoming anything (besides when he was first drafted). One away from Trout :ohwell

Former first-rounder - Kyle Peterson

Because we share the same name. My grandparents cut out the clipping of the newspaper after this draft and said this may be the only time you have been drafted by the Brewers. And they were right...

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

So many to choose from but I'm going with Jim Tatum. He, John Jaha and Dave Nilsson moved up together and Tatum put up some big numbers at both El Paso and Denver in the early 90s. If I remember correctly the Rockies took him in the expansion draft and I don't recall what happened to him after that (fully recognizing I could easily look it up), but I seem to remember him going overseas to play.

For the poster who brought it up, Angel Salome was always jacked up.

You're right, he was, although it looks a lot less apparent when he's playing with other guys who are 6'3 and 240 lbs. At 5'7 you don't look that big. Although 5'7 and 200 lbs is huge.

I remember how genuinely excited Doug Melvin was during his first interview after the Dan Kolb/Capellan trade. He said they were targeting a few mid-tier prospects back for Kolb, and the GM of the Braves said "why not just take the cream of the crop?"

Sounds like something Stearns might say about Corey Ray this off-season. :laughing

I can't complain about that trade, I liked it at the time, but a statement like that from an opposing GM I think would surely set off alarm bells in my head.

Hunter Morris in a big way. I was convinced he was going to be our starting first baseman for years. He had a good year for Wisconsin and dominated AA. I had every autographed card he had, a signed bat, bobble head, everything. Total let down.

It may not quite fit, but I remember in the early 80s following Randy Ready’s minor league exploits. He put up some big numbers at El Paso and I was hoping for big things.

He just couldn’t adjust to big league pitching for the Brewers but then had a really good year or two for SD and then ultimately lingered with the Phillies into the 90s.

The D’Amico, Neugebauer, Mike Jones pitching crash and burns were disappointing because of the hope they represented. But, I don’t know how well we were handling pitchers because there were too many injuries to mention.

Now's as good of time as any to check this out. Hasn't been updated in 6 years. Ha

http://www.brewerfan.net/ViewPower50.do

Wow, that list is sad. Time to bring back the power 50?

Looking over it I don't think it's that sad. Sure, I see only two guys still with the Brewers (Arcia and Nelson) and two more who are still in the organization (Ramirez and Dillard). But at least 19 of those guys made it to the bigs at some point including 11 of the top 20.

I only remember one other player on the field that day: Bucky Jacobsen was playing in the outfield. "Moneyball" used to talk about the eyeball test; Jaha and Jacobsen just looked physically different from all the other guys. I thought for sure he'd be a major leaguer.

...and he was, albeit ever so briefly.

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=2368&position=1B/DH

Not sure if he got hurt during that year with Jack Z's Mariners, or why he never played in the majors again after that season.

Bucky got hurt in 1999 - I think he blew out his knee, and thus had to move permanently to 1B - and then got hurt again in late 2004. He either blew out his knee again or hurt his back and essentially couldn't play again.

Bucky was a good friend of my friend Jak when they were teammates in Beloit. I hung out with him a few times after games, and one night he rode shotgun in my car when I gave him a ride home from the bar (for some reason he lived in Janesville). Really, really nice guy.

Taylor Green. I saw him play a whole lot when he was with West Virginia in 2007, and spoke to him at length a couple of times. He is a genuinely nice guy, who had power, on base skills, and the ability to play all over the field. He worked his way up through the system, won the Minor league Player of the year award twice, and made it to the majors in 2011. Then just stopped. He got hurt in '12 and was never the same player. Missed all of 13, and wasn't even good in the minors afterwards.

I know there have been a lot of guys like Green in the system, but he stands out for me because watching him in his first trip through the minors, I was just sure he'd have a career in the bigs.

I'll also readily admit I thought Will Inman was the best pitching prospect since Ben Sheets.

This list just shows that nothing is guaranteed. It is kind of sad to read some of these because they had such high hopes as a Brewer.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Thought we had something when Hiram Burgos cruised through the minors in 2012 and had a couple of solid starts when he was called up in 2013. After that he struggled, couple of injuries, and he never made it back after being mediocre at best in the minors. Think he just became a minor league free agent again; would think we're letting him walk at this point.

I saw Dana Eveland throw a game for Beloit and thought that guy's gonna be an MLB pitcher someday. I guess a 10 year MLB career isn't really "not making it" but he's pretty much done nothing but be bad 99% of the time in those 10 years. Can't believe he's only 33.

That story reminds me of going to Appleton to see a John Jaha rehab appearance back in the 90s. I only remember one other player on the field that day: Bucky Jacobsen was playing in the outfield. "Moneyball" used to talk about the eyeball test; Jaha and Jacobsen just looked physically different from all the other guys. I thought for sure he'd be a major leaguer.

...and he was, albeit ever so briefly.

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=2368&position=1B/DH

Not sure if he got hurt during that year with Jack Z's Mariners, or why he never played in the majors again after that season.

Not sure how many rehab games John Jaha went on in Appleton ... but I don't think it was many and I was at this game I believe. I remember Jaha popping out and getting hit by a pitch. I also remember a line drive going into the stands and hitting a woman in the face. Off topic, but you saying that brought back some memories.

Wow! I was but a child, but remember getting to see Jaha playing for Beloit in Appleton. Looks like we've rounded up half the crowd!

Taylor Green. I saw him play a whole lot when he was with West Virginia in 2007, and spoke to him at length a couple of times. He is a genuinely nice guy, who had power, on base skills, and the ability to play all over the field. He worked his way up through the system, won the Minor league Player of the year award twice, and made it to the majors in 2011. Then just stopped. He got hurt in '12 and was never the same player. Missed all of 13, and wasn't even good in the minors afterwards.

I know there have been a lot of guys like Green in the system, but he stands out for me because watching him in his first trip through the minors, I was just sure he'd have a career in the bigs.

I'll also readily admit I thought Will Inman was the best pitching prospect since Ben Sheets.

I had him pegged as a left-handed Jeff Cirillo.

Would have been nice to have had him at the hot corner.

Back to the topic, I remember thinking Bob Skube showed promise when he got his cup of coffee in 82. But sporadic playing time in 83 didn't work out and got him sent down, never to be heard from again. Minor league numbers look like he could have earned another shot.

I don't know how much was what I thought I saw, or just wanting to hear cries of "Skube do!" when he got a big hit.

Yes! Someone remembers!

I was 11 when Skube played and was a member of the Pepsi Brewer Fan Club. In the back of the What's Brewing magazine, they had classified ads to join various player fan clubs.

It always amused me that Skube had his own fan club.

The only thing I remember him doing for the Brewers was a triple he hit in an early-season 1983 game.

I did not think this list was sad either. Bunch of productive major leaguers some role players and some chances that didn't work out. Seems like par.

At the major league level, Steve Kiefer turned my 11 year old head with a bunch of homers in his first couple of games with the Brewers, and I thought Julio Machado was a bullpen mainstay before he went to a South American prison forever. Sweet Lou "Woah Solvvd" Palmisano was the first great catching hope to come up through the minors and I bit on that. JM Gold was a minor league flamethrower that I was excited about.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Archived