Brewer Fanatic

Asdrubal Cabrera

LouisEly

The Mets are supposedly leaning towards picking up his option. If not, he's a guy I'd go after to fill the 2B hole - switch hitter with a good bat who has put up good numbers in a pitcher friendly park the last two years. I've been a fan of his for a long time. At 32 next year, he should still have a couple of good years left. He's no longer a starting SS and is best at 2B.

If the Mets do pick up his option, would they do a swap for Villar? Cabrera did ask the Mets to trade him earlier this year, but he retracted that a couple of days later.

Reyes has said he wants to come back, SS prospect Amed Rosario broke into the lineup last year, David Wright has "resumed baseball activities", they have soon-to-be 26-year-old Wilmer Flores, and if TJ Rivera can avoid TJ surgery they may see Cabrera as expendable.

He's a mirror of Walker with the bat in that he's better vs. LHP, so a Cabrera/Sogard combo might be better fit than Walker/Sogard. I think Walker will get a deal similar to the one Cabrera signed prior to 2016. All depends on when you see Hiura in the big leagues and what the Mets would want. I don't think it's out of the question Hiura is ready offensively by 2019. If it's more like 2020, then Walker might make more sense on a 2 yrs plus option. I think I'd take Cabrera over say a year of 36 year old Ian Kinsler.

ACab is nothing like the player he was when he came up with Seattle & Cleveland.

You have a better chance of Villar rebounding than ACab putting up good numbers and good D (at 2B)..

I would locate a different option to pursue..

Fun fact: If you go by Fangraphs WAR Asdrubal Cabrera was better this season than Orlando Arcia.

Take that for what it's worth.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=ss&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=y&type=8&season=2017&month=0&season1=2017&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0

Archived