Brewer Fanatic

2017-2018 Offseason Minor League Transaction Thread

Mass Haas
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brewers have signed LHP Mike Zagurski to a minor league contract per Jerry Crasnick via Twitter...

@jcrasnick: Veteran lefty Mike Zagurski has agreed to a minor league deal with the #Brewers. He’s pitched in the big leagues with #Phillies, #Dbacks, #Pirates and #Yankees and also played in Japan.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

• 3 weeks later...
Great news! Nick was the minor lg FA I wanted to resign the most. His signing makes Wang/Webb more expendable should we need a 40 man spot. With those two Boone Logan and Hader and now Nick (in the minors) we finally have some LH relief depth.

I thought they were going to lose him for sure (much like I thought when they took Perez off the 40 man after 2015 that they wouldn't get him back and that worked out well) and would have given him a 40 man spot instead of Webb. Forget his age, there's very little mileage on that arm and he can have value as a 13th pitcher by being an extra bench bat as well. This is an under the radar move with upside. Like it. He posted a 1.28 ERA and a microscopic 0.78 Whip in the 2nd half for Biloxi. He can get both lefties and righties out too. For his first year pitching, he was phenomenal. K rate wasn't spectacular but he didn't walk many.

Great news! Nick was the minor lg FA I wanted to resign the most. His signing makes Wang/Webb more expendable should we need a 40 man spot. With those two Boone Logan and Hader and now Nick (in the minors) we finally have some LH relief depth.

I thought they were going to lose him for sure (much like I thought when they took Perez off the 40 man after 2015 that they wouldn't get him back and that worked out well) and would have given him a 40 man spot instead of Webb. Forget his age, there's very little mileage on that arm and he can have value as a 13th pitcher by being an extra bench bat as well. This is an under the radar move with upside. Like it. He posted a 1.28 ERA and a microscopic 0.78 Whip in the 2nd half for Biloxi. He can get both lefties and righties out too. For his first year pitching, he was phenomenal. K rate wasn't spectacular but he didn't walk many.

I like it as well. Ramirez is probably a pretty good sleeper pick to see MLB innings this season. The fact that he has some potential as a pinch hitter doesn't hurt, either. The fact that he can hit, play 1B and maybe even the OF in a pinch would allow the team to carry an extra reliever and be short-handed on the bench.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Brewers announce the signing of three Dominican players to their first pro contracts, look for them on one or other of the two Dominican Summer League teams in 2018 --

RHP Claudio Mota, B/T: R/R, 6' 3" /194, Age: 20 (7/19/97)

RHP Alexis Ramirez, B/T: R/R, 6' 2" /170, Age: 18 (7/20/1999)

LHP Joandris Tolentino, B/T: L/L, 6' 1" /201, Age: 18 (11/21/1999)

Brewers have re-signed Hiram Burgos to a minor league deal per this report which has since been confirmed by Burgos himself.

I wonder if Burgos has a future in the organization as a coach.

I wouldn't be surprised at all. It seems like Burgos maximized his results based on his physical abilities. I know he didn't make the majors, but him making it to the majors at all with the stuff he has is generally surprising and commendable. We seem intent on keeping him around.

I know he didn't make the majors

No, he made the majors, six games in 2013, pitched pretty well in his first three starts but then likely got hurt in his fourth start (10 day break between starts, no regular work) and tried to pitch through it. Went on the DL, reinjured during rehab starts, shut down in early July.

Because of those six games he has been getting a minimum of $80K per year salary since. For $80+K/year, I'd play minor league ball until they took my jersey away.

Burgos has always been a favorite of mine ever since I was at a game at Miller Park in late 2012 and they showed his highlight reel when giving him the Minor League Pitcher of the Year award.

His changeup made my mouth water. I had hope last year he might get a few starts and another chance but it just never happened and with our best pitching prospects all nearing the upper levels of the minors, his chance with us to make the majors has likely passed, but still happy to have him around.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Brewers have re-signed Hiram Burgos to a minor league deal per this report which has since been confirmed by Burgos himself.

I wonder if Burgos has a future in the organization as a coach.

I have heard from a baseball writer I know that the organization values Burgos' presence in the system. They think he provides a positive influence on many of the younger players. He's a smart guy, versatile and he speaks English and Spanish, which is helpful with the many Latin players in the system.

He also provides a guy willing to bounce to wherever he is needed (AAA, AA, whatever) and eat up innings at Colorado Springs that the club is wary to put upon true prospects.

For Burgos, it's not a bad gig. As a former major league player, he makes a minimum of around $90,000 at AAA. That's not a bad job. He gets to play baseball, build up his skills as a teacher and mentor, and make a decent living.

Ultimately, I think you're right, that the team sees him as a coach down the road.

The Brewers signed soon to be 25 year old infielder Jake Hager to a minor league deal. The 2011 first round draft pick has spent his entire professional career thus far in the Rays organization, Kyle Lesniewski has a summary of the signing at Brew Crew Ball.

Turns out Hager had actually signed with the St. Paul Saints of the independent American Association on February 8th. So technically the Brewers acquired Hager's rights from St. Paul.

Also, Jake Hager is the real name of former WWE wrestler (and former world champ) Jack Swagger.

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fbrianmazique%2Ffiles%2F2017%2F11%2Fjackswagger_1920x1080-91f1af09a555434188a1896ba1ed1187-1200x675.jpg%3Fwidth%3D960

• 2 weeks later...
Brewer Fanatic Staff
No link for you yet, sorry, but it seems the Brewers have signed Orveo Saint, a native of the Bahamas, and they will start him out in Arizona with the Maryvale kids, and he'll be listed as a shortstop to begin his pro career. It appears he has lived in the Fort Lauderdale area for at least a couple of years. Saint was recently listed at 6'2", 190.

Perhaps something with his Bahamian background that allows for his signing pre-draft, Perfect Game lists his school as the Accelerated Learning Center in Fort Lauderdale.

The Brewers now confirm this signing by placing Saint on their Maryvale roster. He'll turn 18 in November. Otherwise, still little online about the player.

That post was from May 2017, but the signing somehow never formally materialized last year.

It has now, however, it seems, and folks can look for Saint to be in Maryvale this summer as an 18-year-old.

Brewer Fanatic Staff
Technically, a 2017 spring transaction, not sure if we ever learned specifically that 2016 34th round (Georgetown) RHP Matt Smith underwent Tommy John surgery shortly after spring training last year until now. Here's a hometown story with an update on the 2016 Helena Brewer and Wisconsin Timber Rattler.

Archived