Brewer Fanatic

Jacob deGrom

I really like the idea of trading for Jacob deGrom. The Mets will be rebuilding.

What are your thoughts on the type of package it would take to trade for 3 seasons of deGrom? He won't be a free agent until 2021. I would think the competition in terms of putting together a strong package for deGrom would be strong, we can't just lowball the Mets and get away with it.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

The off would have to be huge. And if he was on the market, we'd be outbid, I think, because we don't have the premium pitching prospects.

Hader/Brinson/Ortiz & a 4th prospect would be a start, but I think that that wouldn't be enough.

I really like the idea of trading for Jacob deGrom. The Mets will be rebuilding.

What are your thoughts on the type of package it would take to trade for 3 seasons of deGrom? He won't be a free agent until 2021. I would think the competition in terms of putting together a strong package for deGrom would be strong, we can't just lowball the Mets and get away with it.

Brinson plus Ortiz would be a starting point. He probably has similar value to Quintana.

If you can get it done without trading Hader, Burnes, Hiura, Woodruff I think you do it... What a huge difference maker deGrom would be at the TOR.

I'm a huge fan of DeGrom and think it's worth exploring for sure. That said, I'm not so sure they are interested in selling with Syndergaard coming back next year. We also have had bad experiences trading with the Mets.

It is certainly possible that the Mets don't grasp that they need to rebuild.

Two other possible trade targets from teams that might not realize how much they need to rebuild are Marcus Stroman & Chris Archer.

If you trade for one of deGrom, Stroman or Archer, and sign a Lance Lynn or Alex Cobb, all of a sudden you have a pretty interesting rotation happening.

I think it can/should be done.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

These are the types of guys we should target, for sure. If I traded for one of those guys, I would not be inclined to also sign Lynn or Cobb. We'd have a good set of 5 guys and enough depth. We might have to count on Suter/Wilkerson/whoever to make starts until either Nelson came back or Burnes was deemed ready, but that would probably work out ok. I think bringing in a vet or 2 on a minor league deal to serve as depth would be a good idea if we went that route.

Brinson plus Ortiz would be a starting point. He probably has similar value to Quintana.

DeGrom looks superior in terms of K/9, FIP, and cxFIP. Maybe not vastly superior but superior. Quintana has the LHP thing going for him, but I think DeGrom is clearly better.

Similar ages and both are controlled through 2021 but I don't think the Mets are going to use Quintana as a comparable price point. In addition to Brinson and Ortiz I would bet they'd also ask for an MLB piece like Santana.

I've had deGrom on my dynasty team since he debuted. Prior to this year he was a consistant, near-ace, TOR pitcher. This year, while his overall numbers look good, he threw a lot of stinkers where he got rocked. What does it mean? I don't know but it would be concerning to me especially since he's a guy who's had TJ and a couple other injuries prior. I don't know if I'd be comfortable giving up what it would take to get him.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

DeGrom would be awesome to have, but I just don't see the Mets going into a rebuild. They had so many injuries last year (pitchers and hitters) and they've cleared a ton of salary away - Bruce, Granderson, Walker, Reyes, Duda, Addison Reed -- that's a ton of cash. Right now, they only have $58M committed to next year - although they probably have $30-35M of arbitration awards coming.

Matz, Harvey, DeGrom, Syndergaard - that's a pretty good starting point on a rotation. I'm guessing the Mets see how things go instead of throwing in the towel and rebuilding. If things are a disaster come July, then they might look to sell, but at this point, I doubt they do it.\

Of course, you can never count on the Mets ownership - they have been frugal in the past - so you never know.

Archived