Brewer Fanatic

2017 Playoff Thread [World Series: HOU vs. LAD]

owbc
This is one reason why I'm finding playoff baseball to be unwatchable lately, even with my secondary team Dodgers playing. All these stepping off, mound visits from the catcher, mound visits from the pitching coach, excessive pitching changes, the games take about a week and a half to complete, and most of these games have been low scoring. MLB really has to take a stand against this stuff, toughen up and shorten these games somehow. It's ridiculous.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is one reason why I'm finding playoff baseball to be unwatchable lately, even with my secondary team Dodgers playing. All these stepping off, mound visits from the catcher, mound visits from the pitching coach, excessive pitching changes, the games take about a week and a half to complete, and most of these games have been low scoring. MLB really has to take a stand against this stuff, toughen up and shorten these games somehow. It's ridiculous.

100 % agree. MLB the only sport that allows unlimited timeouts

The pitch clock is supposedly on the way, which may help "pace of play" (certainly more than the no-pitch IBB). I think we just need to be realistic about expectations, given that postseason games are just going to be longer than regular ones. You've got longer commercial breaks and additional pressure and all that. It's just a matter of determining how much is too much. 10 percent longer seems about right, with average game times around 3 hours and 20 minutes. Keep it under that, and it's probably fine.

From the MLB Rulebook section on umpires under "General Instructions for Umpires": Keep the game moving.

Specific rules about when timeouts can be taken would be great but quite frankly, the umpires should not be allowing players to visit the mound whenever they want to. And the umps are totally within their rights to refuse a mound visit if they chose.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Suck it Cubs.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

It's nice that this series will be played in comfortable conditions instead of the 40 degrees and rain/show that it is some years. Baseball is just not meant for those types of conditions. Over 100 might be a little uncomfortable but I'll take that over the other end of the spectrum any day.

Also, those World Series patches on the uniforms are horrible.

John Smoltz on the Dodgers not allowing their starters to face a lineup a 3rd time this year because the numbers say you shouldn't:

"Well, I don't know how long you can do that."

A quick check of the stats shows their 3 pitchers who started the most games all had an ERA+ over 125 and the Dodgers had the best record in baseball this year. I think it's working fine.

I haven't listened to any of John Smoltz before this postseason but he seems pretty dismissive of any new idea from the past 20 years.

Archived