Brewer Fanatic

Brewers purchase Carolina Mudcats

patrickgpe
There are only a handful of AAA and another handful of AA teams owned by the major league clubs. Most of the team owned clubs are in high-A or rookie league, so I would think if the Brewers were to buy another team it would likely be a rookie league club. With that said, the AAA situation should be better than the current one as no AAA team will be in Colorado Springs and it looks like Vegas will have a new ballpark. Also, Syracuse and New Orleans will not be options. Worst case scenario is probably Fresno, but maybe the team can get into the new Vegas stadium - hopefully Oakland takes the worst case scenario. Billings seems like a natural fit for the rookie level as they choose a "beer batter" every game and fans get discounted beers if he gets a hit.

Living here, I almost feel like it's my responsibility to remind (point out to) the stadium group building in Summerlin know how much a draw it is when a Wisconsin team plays in Vegas. Every Badger football game played here against UNLV brings in a full house of UW fans. And I know that any Packers / Raiders game here is going to be a sea of green and gold. If this ownership group has a choice of team affiliates, I hope they know how all Wisconsin people need is a tiny excuse to come to Vegas and they'll come. I think Wisconsin visitors will add a AAA game to the agenda if the home club is the Brewers AAA team.

I was curious on how Las Vegas was compared to the rest of the PCL regarding the impact/ favoring of offense. A google turned up the attached article which was a nice read.

https://www.milb.com/milb/news/toolshed-stats-triple-a-ballpark-factors/c-208823408?tid=185364810

Now I realize that the ballpark itself plays an impact so assuming there are some differences between the new park being built & the current one, it will be interesting to see if the Vegas rank improves/ gets worse/ remains the same.

The one thing I took from the Stearns interview was the appeal of the Carolina League for its fairness to hitters and pitchers. We should find out in the next year how important this is for the parent club as the Pioneer League has always been a hitter's paradise and now you replace Helena with Colorado Springs. Maybe this makes them look at the Appy or NY/Penn League. The Appy league teams are all owned by parent clubs and it doesn't look like the Brewers are in the running for Greeneville. The Aberdeen IronBirds and the Vermont Lake Monsters would be good choices and it is well known that Cal Ripken, Jr. has been trying to sell a majority interest in the IronBirds for some time. Regarding AAA, replacing Colorado Springs with San Antonio should greatly decrease the hitter's advantage in the PCL, so there are a number of nice options at AAA.

Thinking way outside the box here, is there any rule that says the Brewers can't own or be part owner of or have some sort of partnership with an independent league team? The players wouldn't be Brewers property but it would give the Brewers a first hand look at those guys. And I think it would attract all the best available players and coaches knowing that a big league team is part of your management.

Just thinking if the Brewers went to the St. Paul Saints and said we'll give you $200K to employ a coach of our choosing and give us a couple roster spots to fill with players we want. No Veeck would turn that down.

Archived