Brewer Fanatic

A Loewen countdown?

I'm not sure if anyone else would find Loewen countdown meter amusing or appropriate. I believe that the O's have until midnight on may 26 to have Loewen signed. So with less then a week to go I wonder if a countdown to Loewnen is in order. I know the problem could be that if he isn't signed, and then the crew doesn't draft that we may have to nut the nuggett miner. Or the D-rays could piss in our post toasties and draft him, in either case I think it might be fun to countdown to our Canuck.

ANAHEIM, Calif. - Orioles executives Jim Beattie and Mike Flanagan spent much of their time yesterday with their baseball people discussing how much to offer last year's first-round draft pick Adam Loewen.

Those negotiations could go right up to Tuesday's midnight deadline, team officials said. If the Orioles don't sign Loewen, a 6-foot-6 left-hander from Chipola Junior College in Marianna, Fla., he'll go back into the June 3 draft, and the club will receive a supplemental round pick, No. 37 overall.

Community Moderator

Orioles executives Jim Beattie and Mike Flanagan spent much of their time yesterday with their baseball people discussing how much to offer last year's first-round draft pick Adam Loewen.

Boy, the Orioles really are morons. Maybe they should spend less time 'discussing' how much to offer him and actually MAKE AN OFFER to start negotiations. At the pace they're on, by the time they actually decide what to offer, it'll be June 4th.

The fact that Loewen remains unsigned when the sides were/are only 1.4 million apart is still astounding. Angelos says no more than 2.5 million, and Loewen wanted 3.9 mil. Heck, didn't we give Prince 2.5ish million to sign at a lower spot?

Good points Peavey. I guess they're trying to decide if they want to offer anything more than the $2.5 million that is still on the table.

The fact that Loewen remains unsigned when the sides were/are only 1.4 million apart is still astounding. Angelos says no more than 2.5 million, and Loewen wanted 3.9 mil. Heck, didn't we give Prince 2.5ish million to sign at a lower spot?

I think Prince signed for $2.375 million, but the Brewers wanted to sign him for about $2-2.1 million. Scott Moore's quick contract that was slightly over slot value screwed that up. The Orioles are using the $2.5 million the Reds gave to Chris Gruler with the #3 overall pick as a benchmark, while team Loewen is pointing to the $4.2 million Gavin Floyd received from the Phillies as the #4 overall pick from the year before (2001). Of course both aren't entirely accurate since Gruler came to an agreement beforehand as the Reds were on the cheap, and Floyd was one of the extremely talented players from the talent-laden 2001 draft.

So, they're letting Loewen sweat it out. Given the stories that teams are going to be more budget conscious certainly doesn't help any of the draft eligible players this year. If the Orioles get their offer up into the $3.5 million range, Loewen may not want to risk not being offered that kind of money again.

It seems like Loewen is going to be available. Thats a good thing for the crew because it means we can end up with either Young or Loewen.

Regardless of who TB takes one of those 2 will be available. I just hope we dont take the "wrong" guy and in 6 years we all look back and groan.

I still really like the idea of having Fielder and Young launching away in the minors in the Milw organization.

Community Moderator
Beloit could really use Young's offense. Fielder needs that protection as well. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/frown.gif

“I'm a beast, I am, and a Badger what's more. We don't change. We hold on."  C.S. Lewis

I still like the idea of Loewen keeping opposing hitters from launching away on him, and eventually in Miller Park. I know you are supposed to pick the best player available, when the top guys are so close, I'd go with the pitcher.

Hex on you, Angelos.

Isn't the deadline tomorrow night at midnight? I have read in reports that Tuesday midnight is the deadline (ie one week before the draft) for DFE candidates. Am I mistaken? Please let me know. Thank you.

PS - I hope and pray we can sign Eveland and/or Mannon!

From BA Draft Notes:

Quote:
The Orioles had until May 27 to sign Loewen, or he would reenter the draft.

So I guess it's about semantics here. Is it until May 27 as in "before May 27" or as in "on or before May 27".

I guess we'll find out tomorrow.

Nightmare Headline, "Loewen signs with O's; Eveland & Mannon to re-enter draft"

They have until 12:01 am EST on Tuesday, which is right about now. Unless we get a friendly tip on our own boys, we may not find out about Eveland, Mannon or anyone else until someone affiliated with the Brewers finds it necessary to fill us in. In other words, Drew Olson will let us know by next week http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif .

Well, our fortunes in the draft and with our DFEs have been decided, and I don't have any idea what those fortunes are. I hate that. I'm sure we'll hear about Loewen tomorrow and hopefully Mr. Rizzo will have good news for us on the Eveland front. Other than that, I guess we'll have to wait until Drew gets done with his Springsteen demos to find out about the other guys.

I just checked out the Balto newspaper and didn't find anything. I'm reporting that they didn't sign him, and we have more pull.

If they did sign him, I'm going to go punch something inanimate.

EDIT: Here is the excerpt from their site:

"WBAL's Steve Melewski is reporting that the Baltimore Orioles have signed their first round pick from the 2002 draft, pitcher Adam Loewen. The 6-6 left-hander agreed to terms just before the deadline passed that would have seen him re-enter the draft. He was not expected to last past the second pick this year, with the Milwaukee Brewers, owners of that pick, expressing strong interest in the Canadian hurler.

According to Melewski, Loewen signed a multi-year deal, and might have even agreed to a major league contract with the team. If that's the case that would place him on the 40-man roster immediately. The Orioles had one opening on their roster after waiving outfielder Gary Matthews earlier in the week. "

Major league deal possibly? Egads.

Well, Delmon Young it is, maybe.

Archived