Brewer Fanatic

Coppolella/Braves

JosephC

https://sports.yahoo.com/john-coppolellas-resignation-just-start-atlanta-braves-problems-230643724.html

The rumblings about this situation have really exploded over the last couple days and it appears that Coppolella and the Braves were breaking just about every rule in the book. Bundling contracts for international free agents. Bringing international free agents into USA prior to signing deals. Signing international free agents under the age requirement. Cutting under-the-table deals with below-slot draft selections. Tampering with major league free agents to-be while they were still under contract with other clubs. It's so bad that I didn't know where to put this topic. Major Leagues? Minor Leagues? MLB Draft/International Talent? The topic could have gone anywhere!

With what happened with the Red Sox it's almost a guarantee that rookie league SS-Kevin Maitan (#38 prospect on MLB's top 100 prospect list) will be declared a free agent and there will be severe penalties for the Braves in the international market (minimum 1 year ban plus maybe penalties for following seasons?). With the other allegations surrounding the draft and free agents, it's very possible that the Braves will also be giving up some draft picks.

Have to admit that it is disappointing to see the news this morning that Dayton Moore is likely leaving the Royals and heading to the Braves. I realize the Royals are looking at major free agent losses but Moore and the Royals seemed like a match made in heaven. Atlanta is definitely a better market but it appears he's stepping into a major hornet's nest.

I wonder if Stearns will get in the Maitan sweepstakes? When those Red Sox signings were declared free agents they still were subject to bonus pool restrictions, so it's not likely a team like the Dodgers will just be able to throw a 30 million dollar contract in Maitan's direction.

With all the booster clubs / shady deals going on in NCAA it would make sense this goes on at the pro level. I guess I never really thought about it, but what is stopping a player for taking less money and then getting an "endorsement" from a local company that gets reimbursed by the team in some fashion and thus off their "books." I wonder if MLB audits the major customers list for a team and then compares that list to endorsements signed by players on their team. Not sure what authority MLB has or what level they can audit one of the clubs under their umbrella. These are privately owned entities. Will be interesting what the punishment will be. I agree, it should be high

I've heard Coppolella speak in interviews and he comes off as really odd. He seems awkward and nerdy and not what one would expect of a high ranking official.

He was on Buster Olney's podcast last Friday (9/29) and was peculiar then, as always.

Apparently, MLB's offices were tipped by an insider who was put off by Coppolella's style and tactics. Besides the rule-breaking nature of his actions, he was reported to be disrespectful of staff in meetings with yelling, etc.

I imagine that he's probably done in baseball. There are enough Ivy League types who have come into the game in recent years, there should be no shortage of people in the pipeline for prime baseball jobs.

Archived