Brewer Fanatic

Crazy trade idea

OK - I know this is "crazy town" talk, but who says no to this trade deal:

Brewers get: Giancarlo Stanton and some $$ to cover at least some of his ridiculous remaining contract

Marlins get: Domingo Santana, Corbin Burnes, Isan Diaz and Marcos Diplan

Is that too much or too little to give up for Stanton? Or, do we want to stay completely away from Stanton due to that contract? I certainly wouldn't mind having his 60 HR bat in the middle of our lineup though.

Fun idea....that is actually a possible trade scenario

I'm a huge Stanton fan. He's only had, what? One full healthy season? Two?

I'd be very hesitant to trade pitching though.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Fun idea....that is actually a possible trade scenario

I'm a huge Stanton fan. He's only had, what? One full healthy season? Two?

I'd be very hesitant to trade pitching though.

I understand the hesitancy to trade pitching, but I think you'd have to if you want to get your hands on Stanton.

I guess the alternative is we go with a Santana, Phillips, Diaz and Diplan package? But again - I think the Marlins are going to want a top pitching prospect back in return if they are trading Stanton. I'd love to find a way to include Braun in this deal (to help offset some of the $$ we'd be taking on with Stanton), but just not sure how to do that? I guess you could go Braun, Burnes, Diaz and Diplan. Although, I think we'd also have to throw in another top prospect in this deal since Braun is an aging player with a big contract remaining. Might have to throw in an Ortiz?

I guess it'd come down to who you think will produce more in 2018-2020: Burnes/Santana/Diplan or Stanton. And what do you do with Braun if you bring in Stanton? And where do you find the pitchers to replace Burnes/Diplan?
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

I don't think that's enough for the Marlins to pull the trigger, also the risk that Stanton would exercise his opt out is too great. I don't think a trade like this makes sense for us, as fun as it sounds. It's also very likely a big market team would outbid that offer as the payroll portion isn't quite so detrimental to a big market.

IMO the opt-out in Stanton's deal will make a trade very difficult. Is a team trading for 3 seasons or for 10 seasons? Nobody knows. How can one value him when not knowing if he'll be controlled for 3 seasons or be controlled for 10 seasons?

See post #16 in following topic:

viewtopic.php?f=66&t=35761

Personally I'd find Stanton an easy pass for a small-market team. He's just missed way too many games in the past. Dodgers, Yankees, Angels can afford to take these types of big gambles, I don't think the Brewers can.

Archived