Brewer Fanatic

Braun trade ideas to Giants

NOMAAM

Braun + cash for Matt Moore. Moore has been bad the last two years but is still young & has talent plus affordable options. Dealing Braun gives the brewers more flexibility in roster management financially & position wise.

Or

Braun for Mark Melencon + cash. This is risky but if his contract is reduced some he becomes a nice bridge to the 9th or reduce the work load on Knebel. Braun has plenty of warts too so who knows if Giants even interested.

Matt Moore struggled too much with the Giants for me to think he'd succeed in a hitter friendly environment. There's also a very real chance that the Giants cut him loose this offseason. Hard pass. The Giants are probably the only realistic trade destination for him if a trade happened in the off season, I just can't imagine what they'd be willing to give up. Especially considering a down year and the FA options are fairly decent. I fully expect the Giants to be in the market for a LF, I just don't think they target Braun.

I'm pretty sure the Giants already announced that they are picking up the option on Moore. I had written off Moore for dead but he actually strung together a pretty good run during the second half only to have it all fall apart in a true blow-up start to finish off the season (7 earned runs in 1 1/3rd inning). But in the prior 13 starts he posted a mediocre 4.46 ERA but the WHIP was a nice 1.25 and the K/BB ratio was 2.87. Not saying it would be a good idea for the Brewers to trade Braun for him but Moore might be a pretty decent candidate to try and pick up in a deal and see if he figures it out. Will still only be 28 years old when next season starts.

Matt Moore has been bad the last three years but not as bad as Garza.

2015-2017 Matt Moore = 4.85 ERA, 4.49 FIP, 84 ERA+, 3.3 BB/9, 7.7 K/9, 2.30 K/BB

2015-2017 Matt Garza = 5.10 ERA, 4.76 FIP, 81 ERA+, 3.4 BB/9, 6.2 K/9, 1.83 K/BB

Would have agreed that Moore is as every bit as washed up as Garza had Moore not had that decent string of 13 starts late in the season.

Broxton to the Giants makes more sense than Braun possibly a Smith+ deal for Broxton.

The trade market for OF's is going to be depressed this off season due to all of the depth and quality of this year's free agency class.

Lets send Villar and Braun get Joe Panik to solve 2b. Of cluster. Get some sort of Bullpen prospect or bullpen arm on Giants ML team

I just don’t know how someone could value Braun and Villar any worse than this proposal. A little dumbfounded actually. How did you come up with your assessment here?

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I’d rather have the headaches than to just give talent away.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I bet the majority of MLB teams would have Braun rated as a negative surplus value player and Villar as less than a 1 WAR player moving forward. Those two things probably means Joe Panik has more value than Braun and Villar combined. If I were the Giants and had a left field opening, I would still not trade Panik for Braun and Villar.

Anyway, the Giants are moving Span to left field and Pence will probably be splitting time between left and right field. Braun makes no sense as a part time right fielder considering it's not his best defensive position and the salary that comes along with him. Braun makes no sense for the Giants, just like he doesn't make any sense for any MLB team not named the Brewers.

Lets send Villar and Braun get Joe Panik to solve 2b. Of cluster. Get some sort of Bullpen prospect or bullpen arm on Giants ML team

I just don’t know how someone could value Braun and Villar any worse than this proposal. A little dumbfounded actually. How did you come up with your assessment here?

Well you could start off with the fact Ryan Braun probably had negative value even after his pretty impressive 2016(maybe he was just even). Then he had a pretty disappointing and for a $20mil man a pretty terrible year. Ryan Braun probably has a very sizable amount of negative trade value now. If you view Jonathan Villar as a potential starter still then he could recoup that negative value and maybe if a team is optimistic give it enough positive value to get something good back.

You don't need to agree with him, but honestly that trade proposal value wise isn't that crazy. Ryan Braun has a ton of negative value and baggage around the league. That is just the reality of things.

I bet the majority of MLB teams would have Braun rated as a negative surplus value player

Do the majority of MLB teams value players based on surplus value? Do any MLB teams value players based on surplus value?

I'd bet that the majority of MLB teams in the top half of payroll pretty much just care about runs scored and runs given up and not so much how much they have to pay for it.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I bet the majority of MLB teams would have Braun rated as a negative surplus value player

Do the majority of MLB teams value players based on surplus value? Do any MLB teams value players based on surplus value?

I'd bet that the majority of MLB teams in the top half of payroll pretty much just care about runs scored and runs given up and not so much how much they have to pay for it.

I'd say every team takes a serious look at how much their production cost. They'd be fools not to because no one has an unlimited payroll.

Yeah, I mean this is a far different era in baseball from the 80s. GMs are smarter, sabermetrics are much better understood and most (every?) team has a staff dedicated just to analytics.

I suppose the higher payroll teams have a little more leeway in what they can ignore and tolerate, but simply spending at will with no regard to surplus value is a good way to end up with a 70 win team for 200M, which can and does happen.

Yeah, I mean this is a far different era in baseball from the 80s. GMs are smarter, sabermetrics are much better understood and most (every?) team has a staff dedicated just to analytics.

I suppose the higher payroll teams have a little more leeway in what they can ignore and tolerate, but simply spending at will with no regard to surplus value is a good way to end up with a 70 win team for 200M, which can and does happen.

Of course GM's are smarter and use advanced metrics....everyone does now. But I'd be surprised if they evaluate trades the same way a few writers and people on here do with regards to projected WAR and projected surplus or negative value moving forward.

Giants will be rebuilding. Why do they want Braun?

Is this just an assumption because they were bad this year? As of late in the year members of the front office actually came out and said they were NOT rebuilding next year and hoping to rebound and would be looking for some power hitters(though JD Martinez and Bruce were mentioned). Not to mention it just doesn't sound like the Giants to rebuild.

Not that I expect the Giants to trade for Braun or anyone to for that matter, but they seem like the most likely to.

Of course GM's are smarter and use advanced metrics....everyone does now. But I'd be surprised if they evaluate trades the same way a few writers and people on here do with regards to projected WAR and projected surplus or negative value moving forward.

This is exactly what some analytics guys in front offices do, evaluate the surplus value (if there is any) now and in the future for free agent signings, trades etc. Now, they obviously aren't GMs but I'm sure the info is passed along to the GM and then he makes a decision on whether it makes sense and is worth the risk on whether or not they're getting enough surplus value in the front part of a free agent contract compared to the likely negative value at the back or if they're getting enough in a trade.

Obviously the GM has the final say and may or may not listen to how much value they're getting but to say people aren't doing that in front offices is wrong. They'd be foolish to not at least listen to what their analytics guys have to say and then make a judgment on a trade/free agent signing from there.

Archived