Brewer Fanatic

2017-18 Offseason Optimism Thread

torts

took 161 games to be eliminated from post-season contention!

Matt Garza wont be here!

THE YOUTH!

THE YOUTH!

THE YOUTH IS ON FIRE!!

POSITIVE MINDS BREED POSITIVE TIMES! I CANT WAIT TO SEE WHAT GREAT THINGS HAPPEN THIS FALL AND WINTER! I BREWLEVE IN THIS TEAM!

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

I guess I'm a bit of a realist. They had a really good year despite not making the playoffs. Even had they gotten in and beaten both CO and AZ to get to the NLDS against LA, I didn't see them beating the Dodgers in a five game series with the inconsistent offense and their pitching depth taking the hit it did by losing Nelson. I think they finished at least a good 10 games above what most prognosticators predicted them to finish around at the start of the season.

I'm very interested to see what Stearns will do in the off-season to improve the team and how active they might be in free agency. I don't think they really have any over-bloated contracts even with the few years remaining on Braun's deal. Continuing to stay the course and build through the farm system is never the sexiest move, but I trust Stearns to keep up the good job he's been doing in the two years he's had at the helm so far.

For me, the offense is the main part of the team that needs to be improved upon this offseason. The team set the all time record for strikeouts two years in a row, that can't happen again. The team was also amongst the worst in baseball with RISP, we saw time and time again how that hurt the team in crucial moments. We need more contact hitters and rely less upon the home run ball going forward.

I really cant think of anything that would derail my optimism this winter!

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

This time next year we will be the NL central champs! Can’t wait!
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I really cant think of anything that would derail my optimism this winter!

Are you sure?

http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/headshots/mlb/players/full/6218.png&w=350&h=254

yep! THEY WON 96 GAMES WITH YUNI!!!!

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

For me, the offense is the main part of the team that needs to be improved upon this offseason. The team set the all time record for strikeouts two years in a row, that can't happen again. The team was also amongst the worst in baseball with RISP, we saw time and time again how that hurt the team in crucial moments. We need more contact hitters and rely less upon the home run ball going forward.

Yah it would be fantastic to add more contact vs. swing and miss that we have so much of. The problem is where do we change? Only place you can focus is 2B. I saw someome mention Zack Cozart. That is probably dream scenario add for this offseason just off the top of my head.

To really make a strong difference one would have to make bold moves and trade away legit bats so we can replace them with someone more contact oriented. Would we really trade away a Santana/Thames/Shaw?

I'm actually optimistic about the bullpen for next year, even if Hader goes to the rotation. Knebel was lights out in save situations. I think Swarzak will be back. Jefress is back and pitching pretty well. And Hughes was outstanding over the final month (no earned runs).

I still cannot believe the brewers got Hughes! I dont understand why the Pirates kept LeBlanc over him! What a terrible organization the Pirates have turned into! GO BREWERS!

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

Found this interesting. 51 starts last season by the likes of Garza, Peralta, Guerra, Milone, Espino, Blazek, Jeffress. Almost 1/3 of games started by bad SP.

Granted, Garza had some good starts in there. Also, I understand every team, every year will have starts by bad pitchers. But 51 games is a ton. Even with Nelson missing a chunk (or all)of 2018 this is definitely an opportunity to improve by minimizing the number of starts from guys like this.

This would be similar to ABs from 2016/2017. I outlined in the past the huge number of ABs in 2016 by bad players like Walsh, FLores. Pressley, Elmore, etc. So in 2017 they eliminated most of that and improved run total from 671- 732. They still need to improve at the plate, but just by eliminating the worst of the worst there was improvement. Hopefully the same thing will happen with starting pitching. Just substituting horrible pitchers with average pitchers should help.

I think they absolutely should look at possible upgrades at 1st. Thames struggled to hold up over the whole year and Aguilar was great with spot starts but not sure if he could handle it full time.

So I think they could look at more contact hitters and 1st and 2nd base this year; look for an above average starter, and two above average relievers (Keeping Swarczak would be a nice start)

Thames and Aguilar as a platoon is fine.......

Its fine during a rebuild phase & when determining what are best outcomes in other areas of need (even optimistically there are still multiple areas of need w/ the Crew). However, if this club is looking to contend, it needs a better option at 1st or at least a better platoon partner for Thames.

Jesus is the definition of AAAA player. Some short spurts of success here & there but barely replacement level over the course of a season/ multiple seasons.

Thames and Aguilar as a platoon is fine.......

Its fine during a rebuild phase & when determining what are best outcomes in other areas of need (even optimistically there are still multiple areas of need w/ the Crew). However, if this club is looking to contend, it needs a better option at 1st or at least a better platoon partner for Thames.

Jesus is the definition of AAAA player. Some short spurts of success here & there but barely replacement level over the course of a season/ multiple seasons.

You may or may not be right long term ... but this is just a weird thing to say right now. He just finished his first full season and was a 1.3 WAR which by definition means he was above replacement level and worthy of a bench role this year. I would also be looking for a stud in order to seriously contend - but don't say silly things just to make a point.

You may or may not be right long term ... but this is just a weird thing to say right now. He just finished his first full season and was a 1.3 WAR which by definition means he was above replacement level and worthy of a bench role this year. I would also be looking for a stud in order to seriously contend - but don't say silly things just to make a point.

Its not a silly thing to say. Jesus has a career 0.3 WAR after posting 1.3 WAR last season.

I've been a supporter of Jesus for years, ever since he & I chatted for a few moments between innings as he got ready to bat during a Midwest League game in 2011 (BTW he went deep yard shot to left field in that at bat).

For a guy that could drive in runs by the boatload in the minors, every chance Jesus got in Cleveland was a struggle/ letdown.

Personally I am happy he performed well for the Crew last season. Maybe this is a case of changing scenery/ league that works out. Although a fan of his personally, I would not bet on that success being sustained.

For a guy that could drive in runs by the boatload in the minors, every chance Jesus got in Cleveland was a struggle/ letdown.

All 64 plate appearances they gave him?

Kind of hard to make an impact (and accumulate WAR) when you're stuck behind Carlos Santana.

It's possible to Thames/Aguilar was a fluke that will regress in the future, but if you're looking at how we will add wins to 2018, it will be difficult to find a way to improve on the numbers we got from 1B in 2017.

The holes in 2017 that we could hope to improve on are CF, which will likely be filled by a combination of Brinson/Phillips, 2B, the bullpen at the start of the season, and the last couple of rotation spots in the second half of the season. I expect we do something at 2B, move Hader to the rotation, add another starter, and add a couple of quality relievers.

As to the strikeout total, that's probably going to be a longer-term fix, but for now there are a couple of things that could help:

-having Brinson/Phillips as the CF/4th OF should improve on having Broxton/Perez as the CF/4th OF.

-we could find a 2B who is a contact-hitting / high OBP leadoff hitter

-re-sign Sogard as a utility guy, using Perez as part of a trade

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Archived