Brewer Fanatic

Who has played their last game as a Brewer?

Est1970

Who won’t be back next year. My predictions:

Broxton - 20 HRs, 20 steals, but too many strikeouts and some shaky defense at times.

Garza - please don’t bring him back!

Villar - has great ability, but the mental mistakes, I’m ready to move on.

Walker - will be too expensive to keep.

Torres - too inconsistent, time to move on.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Your reasoning for Walker doesn't really make sense. He isn't that good and over the age of 30. We could easily sign him to what he will garner and not shed a single tear. Our payroll is so low and his contract would be so short it would create almost no future problem. Only way Walker doesn't come back is if we get someone better. Swarzak and Walker both seem like easy bets to return. Not that it would be crazy if they didn't.

Villar had a huge year in 2016 and showed some life again towards the end of 2017. He is also still cheap (thanks Jonathan...), and while he's arbitration eligible this year I can't imagine his number will be real high after his 2017 showing. Also, trying to trade him this offseason would be selling low. I don't think he's that 2016 guy, and don't want him to be the starter as he drives me absolutely nuts sometimes - but don't see any reason to get rid of him now. Especially if he can learn the OF he could have value as a super utility player a la Perez.

This will be one of the more interesting offseason in recent memory - lots of decent-to-good players, but no great players. So how do you upgrade? Who to trade/replace, if anyone?

As far as last game as a Brewer, I'll say:

Torres (please)

Garza (pretty please)

Broxton (need to make room in the OF)

Walker (price/years have to be right for Stearns to keep him, my guess is he'll be too expensive and more importantly will want too many years)

I am not Shea Vucinich

Garza is contemplating retirement and has no option so 0% chance he is back.

Walker wants to test the market, so I think he will sign elsewhere.

Sogard and Swarzak have expressed a strong desire to resign, so I think they will be back.

Walker will be arguably the top 2B available across all of MLB in free agency. Doubt we keep him. Doesn't really fit the Stearns MO of "young controllable talent"

I think the Brewers will clean house in the bullpen a bit: I predict at least Torres and Drake won't be back.

Garza is already gone, we know that.

I'll go ahead with my annual prediction that Braun will be traded.

Villar will be back.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Of the players on the 40-man, I'd say these guys are probably toast:

Oliver Drake - I imagine there will be better relief options signed this year. Perhaps he ends up in Colorado Springs as a depth guy.

Matt Garza - He'll be in some team's camp next year on a minor league deal. That camp will not be the Brewers'.

Carlos Torres - Same as Drake. The team has guys that can serve as functional relievers who are close to MLB ready as well.

Wei-Chung Wang - He'll be jettisoned off the 40-man before free agency and the Rule 5.

Aaron Wilkerson - I actually hope he does make it, and is given an opportunity to compete for the #5 starter role, but I would think he's in the bottom 3 for expendable 40-man roster guys.

Jett Bandy/Andrew Susac - One of these guys is gone, with the other likely coming back as a 3rd catcher behind Pina and Vogt.

Quentin Berry - No need for a guy who's only value is as a pinch runner.

Keon Broxton - This saddens me, as I really like Broxton's upside, and he seems like a genuinely good dude who is well liked in the clubhouse. But with Phillips' emergence as a potential everyday CF, and Brinson waiting in the wings, something's gotta give. Hopefully there's a GM out there who is enamored with Broxton's 20/20 season, highlight-worthy defensive gems, low salary and solid clubhouse presence, and gives up some decent value for him.

Eric Sogard - I seriously hope we find something better to sit on our bench. He is not very good.

Matt Garza - Doesn't need explaining.

Carlos Torres

Oliver Drake

Stephen Vogt - I think the Brewers go elsewhere for their back-up catcher. Probably someone without a terrible arm.

Very on the fence about Keon Broxton. All this talk about OF depth, but who do you put as the 4th OFer? Do you really make Phillips or Brinson the 4th OFer where ABs will be a bit sporadic? I think there is a chance Keon Broxton stays as a 4th OFer. I think Jonathan Villar stays another year.

I think Jonathan Villar stays. He had a good second half of the season and we don't have a solid 2B on the roster. Unless we find a long term solution(probably even more than Walker) I just don't see him being moved.

Re: Broxton

While, granted, it was in a small sample, Phillips hit .295/.368 vs RHP this year. I predict he will platoon with Brinson in CF, with Brinson occasionally getting starts in LF/RF too... Unless Braun or Santana is traded, Broxton will likely be the odd man out, especially considering that Perez/Dubon/Villar can play OF and fill the super-utility role.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Walker will be arguably the top 2B available across all of MLB in free agency. Doubt we keep him. Doesn't really fit the Stearns MO of "young controllable talent"

I think the Brewers will clean house in the bullpen a bit: I predict at least Torres and Drake won't be back.

Garza is already gone, we know that.

I'll go ahead with my annual prediction that Braun will be traded.

Villar will be back.

Pretty much agree with all of this except for Braun. To whom? The Dodgers don't need him, and the NTC makes it nearly impossible he agrees to go elsewhere now. Who is willing to give up much for a meh hitting 34 year old with a 1.5 WAR with recent injury concerns and a $20M a year price tag?

Even if they found a trade partner that Braun was willing to go to, they'd pretty much have to eat salary and take very little in return now, which isn't a great look for an 86 win team, especially after turning down better offers.

The window to trade Braun closed on August 31st, 2016. He isn't going anywhere now.

A lot of good answers but for me personally Wily Peralta has and I can't be happier. One of the most overrated players we've ever had. He progressively got worse every year of his career yet many insisted his breakout was right around the corner and that he'd be good once moved to the bullpen.

I'd tell Braun he can waive his no trade or sit on the bench. I'd like to see the youngsters in the OF for 2018. We have plenty of them who need playing time.

Can't he just retire for his own health or something? One can dream. I'm kind of sick watching someone swing helplessly at the plate half the time because of some injury. If we DLed him when we probably should I am not even sure he would play in half our games. This year he started just 95 games in the field...

I wouldn't be totally shocked if the Brewers got more aggressive in sitting him due to injury next year and DLed him more often. Lewis Brinson would outperform this years Braun on defense alone.

I guess we will see how next year goes. If he is injured this often and playing crippled half the time when he actually does play they need to figure something out for the future.

I'd tell Braun he can waive his no trade or sit on the bench. I'd like to see the youngsters in the OF for 2018. We have plenty of them who need playing time.

Can't he just retire for his own health or something?

It's cliche to say, but there are about 60 million reasons why he won't.

The season ends and then we find out again that Braun was playing hurt. Big surprise.

A left calf injury forced two stints on the disabled list in May before Braun's right wrist became the problem by July. He had a cortisone shot at the All-Star break, then quietly fought through irritation for most of the second half, impacting his ability to drive the baseball.

http://m.brewers.mlb.com/news/article/257039266/brewers-ryan-braun-looks-back-on-2017-season/

The season ends and then we find out again that Braun was playing hurt. Big surprise.

A left calf injury forced two stints on the disabled list in May before Braun's right wrist became the problem by July. He had a cortisone shot at the All-Star break, then quietly fought through irritation for most of the second half, impacting his ability to drive the baseball.

http://m.brewers.mlb.com/news/article/257039266/brewers-ryan-braun-looks-back-on-2017-season/

I thought they told us in July that he was dealing with a calf injury and would be all season.

This is a bit out there but I wonder if Domingo Santana is around next season. Braun is going to be here. Phillips and Broxton would make a good platoon in center and we need a place for Brinson sooner than later. Santana is a very good offensive threat but he is also a liability in the field. He could bring a lot more in return if we trade him and have Broxton as the 4th outfielder/weak side of a platoon.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Santana being traded makes too much sense not too happen, get the best prospect package you can get. Play Phillips and Brinson in CF and RF next year, and I might actually keep Broxton as a backup to both unless you can get something for him in trade.

Archived