Brewer Fanatic

2018 Free Agent Targets

Unless I missed something in this thread no one has mentioned DJ LeMahieu from the Rockies. Maybe I am missing something, but is there any reason not to target this guy? Seems like it would make more sense to sign him than to sign Cozart and make him move over from SS to a position he has never played before.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LeMahieu had a very reasonable .753 road OPS and .352 road OBP. I have a feeling that someone will overpay though.

Fun fact - he was drafted by the Cubs and traded for Casey Weathers (who never made the majors) and Ian Stewart, who had a 0.0 bWAR in the one season he played for the Cubs. If for no other reason, I'd want the Brewers to sign him just to remind the Cubs of that 18 times a year.

One other guy that really interests me is Otani from the Japanese league. I am sure he will come with a hefty pricetag (including $20 million to be posted to his NPB team) but isn't this the type of guy we should be taking a serious look at? Count me as more willing to risk money on a guy like Otani than someone like Lance Lynn.

One other guy that really interests me is Otani from the Japanese league. I am sure he will come with a hefty pricetag (including $20 million to be posted to his NPB team) but isn't this the type of guy we should be taking a serious look at? Count me as more willing to risk money on a guy like Otani than someone like Lance Lynn.

The thing with Otani is there is cap to how much a team can sign him for (aside from those with penalties who can't offer as much), meaning there is literally a level playing field for signing him financially so where he goes is going to be his own personal preference, not where the money is (ignoring the loop hole extension he'll sign before his second season). No way Milwaukee is anywhere near the top of his list unless we guarantee he'll play the OF when he doesn't pitch, which isn't going to happen either.

The thing with Otani is there is cap to how much a team can sign him for (aside from those with penalties who can't offer as much), meaning there is literally a level playing field for signing him financially so where he goes is going to be his own personal preference, not where the money is (ignoring the loop hole extension he'll sign before his second season). No way Milwaukee is anywhere near the top of his list unless we guarantee he'll play the OF when he doesn't pitch, which isn't going to happen either.

Ah ok. Thanks Jericho. I actually wasn't sure how that worked. Probably a pipe dream anyways but boy would I love to see a guy like that in a Brewers uniform.

As much as i'd like Darvish it ain't happening. Thus, its all about relief pitching for me. I like the Hosmer idea too, but wouldn't get outrageous with the deal. Thames isn't horrific, just streaky. He's like an upgraded version of Keon Broxton (who I think needs to go).

Resign Walker (2yr 28m 3rd yr option at $12m)

resign Sogard to a split contract like Captain K this year guaranteed for $1.5m

try to resign swarzak if possible for 2yr $10m

Sign Yu Darvish to 5 yr $140M with a 6th year option at $25M with a $5M buyout

Walker's not getting close to $14 million per year. He'll get more like 2yr $16-18m. I'm not sure I'd even go that high. At this point, he's an aging poor man's Scooter Gennett. Sign him for your price, not his if possible. Sogard's a better value and I doubt they'll sign both. If they did, Villar will be either traded for minimal return or non-tendered.

I don't think the Brewers can outbid the big markets for Darvish. That money would be better spent on Eric Hosmer, allowing them to deal Santana for a controllable less costly arm, and move Thames to RF to platoon with Perez initially. Prior to deadline, trade Thames, move Phillips to RF and put Brinson in CF for good, assuming he's shown he can hit in platoon arrangement leading up to that time.

I'm on board with Swarzak.

Unless I missed something in this thread no one has mentioned DJ LeMahieu from the Rockies. Maybe I am missing something, but is there any reason not to target this guy? Seems like it would make more sense to sign him than to sign Cozart and make him move over from SS to a position he has never played before.

I know that somebody mentioned a .753 OPS from Lemaheiu, but his career road OPS is .670. He may be a ~.700-.750 guy at Miller Park at best, which is "just a guy" to me and somebody will overpay as noted by the next poster.

Unless I missed something in this thread no one has mentioned DJ LeMahieu from the Rockies. Maybe I am missing something, but is there any reason not to target this guy?

He's not a free agent. He will be one after next year.

Yep, thanks. Realized that later after I posted the above. Still would love to have him if we have a need there after next season.

Neshek: 2 years, 10 million

Swarzak: 2 years, 10 million

Trade for Brandon McCarthy

Walker: 1 year, 10 million with a team option

Package Villar or Perez, Broxton, and Thames or Aguilar for Solarte

I'm with you on the relievers, seems a little on the light side but would be great if both of those happened. I'm not crazy about the McCarthy idea but it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world missing Nelson most of next year.

After that you lose me. No way is Walker back that cheap with a team option to boot. Solarte is basically an older Hernan Perez, no way do we give up that much for him.

Walker: 1 year, 10 million with a team option

Why would Walker take over a $7 million pay cut and not even get the security of a long term contract?

The reliever prices are low too. Neshek and Swarzak are probably looking at $7 million AAV at minimum.

LeMahieu isn't a FA until next year.

There's a fair chance the Stros will non-tender Mike Fiers. Wouldn't be a bad idea to bring him in on the cheap to compete for the 5th starter job if they want to buy some time for a young arm.

I actually really like that idea. Fiers is what he is ... probably a #4-5 starter at best on a good team, but his stuff probably plays a little better in the National League. They good thing about him is you know he's durable and will keep you in a game for the most part.

There's a fair chance the Stros will non-tender Mike Fiers. Wouldn't be a bad idea to bring him in on the cheap to compete for the 5th starter job if they want to buy some time for a young arm.

I actually really like that idea. Fiers is what he is ... probably a #4-5 starter at best on a good team, but his stuff probably plays a little better in the National League. They good thing about him is you know he's durable and will keep you in a game for the most part.

One tricky thing about bringing in a lower end guy like Fiers, I'm sure they would realize that with Nelson due back and Burnes on the way...that person might not make it the entire season in the rotation and would lose value next year on the open market. Might need to settle for a minor league deal. If Fiers had another opportunity that more likely guaranteed him the rotation spot all year, it might be a better bet. That's merely speculation on my end. Also a higher end guy would be a different story, as long as they are pitching well they'd keep the spot and the worse of Woodruff/Hader would go to the pen.

Walker's not getting close to $14 million per year. He'll get more like 2yr $16-18m. I'm not sure I'd even go that high. At this point, he's an aging poor man's Scooter Gennett. Sign him for your price, not his if possible. Sogard's a better value and I doubt they'll sign both. If they did, Villar will be either traded for minimal return or non-tendered.

Walker had season-ending back surgery last year and still got $17.2m for one year. This year he was relatively healthy, showed no ill effects from the back surgery, and had a typical Neil Walker season except for a brief slump working his way back from a hamstring injury, which is clearly fully healed with no lingering effects.

Granted, it all depends on the market, but if anything his salary will go or he'll get a similar salary on a multiyear deal. The Mets might not be in the bidding this year, but they have a history of buying when they should consider rebuilding. The Angels would probably love to add him, and the Brewers will be interested and have a lot of money to spend. I don't see any way his contract is even close to the bargain you're suggesting.

One tricky thing about bringing in a lower end guy like Fiers, I'm sure they would realize that with Nelson due back and Burnes on the way...that person might not make it the entire season in the rotation and would lose value next year on the open market. Might need to settle for a minor league deal. If Fiers had another opportunity that more likely guaranteed him the rotation spot all year, it might be a better bet. That's merely speculation on my end. Also a higher end guy would be a different story, as long as they are pitching well they'd keep the spot and the worse of Woodruff/Hader would go to the pen.

It would likely depend on if Fiers wants to be a #4-5 for a playoff-caliber team, or a #3-4 for a lower-rung team. If he pitches well, there will be a market for him in 2019.

Nothing would make the Rangers and Stros more complete that signing Fiers to a low contract and him pitching like a #2 for us next season.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Except that Walker is a actual good defender at 2B, something Gennett has never been. He also has a much bigger track record of success than Gennett. If anything, Gennett is a poor-man's Walker with worse defense.

Except that Walker is a actual good defender at 2B, something Gennett has never been. He also has a much bigger track record of success than Gennett. If anything, Gennett is a poor-man's Walker with worse defense.

I went through the exercise of finding comps for Walker a while back in a different thread, see below. It's almost like he either didn't read my post or ignored the facts. How Walker compares to these guys is moreso opinion, but the contracts received are facts.

"I disagree with you on this one Briggs. I looked back a couple years and tried finding a comp. 2016-17 had next to no middle infielders on the market that signed to big deals. Justin Turner got 4/64 and Luis Valbuena got 2/15(most thought he'd get like 3/30 i believe). 2015-16 saw Zobrist get 4/56, Daniel Murphy get 3/37.5, and Howie Kendrick get 2/20. Murphy and Kendrick were on a QO, so I think they were then tied to draft pick compensation as well driving down their values. Murphy is probably the best comp for Walker at that point(he's worlds better now but at that point they were statistically very comparable). I suspect he would have gotten a bigger deal without the QO, and that was 2 years ago with 2 other solid 2b on the market and he got 12.5/year. This year, Walker will be the best 2b on the market with a pretty significant dropoff beyond him. 15 million is probably very reasonable, and it could be more depending on which teams are involved in the bidding."

Archived