Brewer Fanatic

2018 Free Agent Targets

The only potential superstar position player we have in the whole system is, to me, Hiura... I suppose Arcia is a possibility but that is a reach

The Royal won it all without a true superstar player so it can be done....

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The only potential superstar position player we have in the whole system is, to me, Hiura... I suppose Arcia is a possibility but that is a reach

It's a bit weird that you don't include Brinson. While Brinson isn't a surefire bet to hit 300, he can be productive with the bat while providing excellent defense. Hiura might end up at 1b or LF where the bat won't play. I know I hear all the time how his bat will play anywhere, but unless you are hitting 30+ bombs...your bat doesn't belong in LF or 1b. Hiura doesn't profile to do that.

Yes, and I think that is a reasonable blueprint. I think the Brewers need to shore up more good (non-elite) players. The Royals had Cueto, Zobrist, Morales, Volquez, Guthrie, Young, Infante, Vargas, Madson, Rios all on the roster.

Now, many of those guys were acquired via trade, but the Brewers have the opportunity to go add their Cueto or Zobrist prior to the season in 2018 or 2019. I just think that going into 2019 or even 2018 with "what we have" will put us in a situation of saying, "they're a starting pitcher away from getting in" and then we'll trade future assets away for a pitcher.

It's a bit weird that you don't include Brinson. While Brinson isn't a surefire bet to hit 300, he can be productive with the bat while providing excellent defense. Hiura might end up at 1b or LF where the bat won't play. I know I hear all the time how his bat will play anywhere, but unless you are hitting 30+ bombs...your bat doesn't belong in LF or 1b. Hiura doesn't profile to do that.

Brinson is Mike Cameron IMO with a tiny chance of being elite if he figures some stuff out at the plate. Brinson strikes out a ton just like Cameron so might be in the .250 range and obviously he isn't a consistent 40+ HR candidate.

Brinson being Mike Cameron even is an ideal situation. If he's that, I'd love it. But Cameron was just a very good player for 15 years. He never had the highs of a Trout or McCutchen in terms of being an MVP candidate.

I guess to be fair, Brinson does probably strike out less than Cameron did, but I think he'll fall a bit short of being an elite player. Definitely a chance.

I'd love to see Brinson be a superstar. It is hard for me to envision that. His ceiling looks more like a Lorenzo Cain/Mike Cameron type player, which obviously has value but isn't a guy you see in the All-Star game 7-10 years in a row.

Honestly it astounds me when I read people saying there isn't really anywhere besides 2B that they see a need for an upgrade on the Brewers. Say what? You wouldn't rather have Correa instead of Arcia? Sanchez instead of Pina? Arenado instead of Shaw?

Say what?!

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

I'd love to see Brinson be a superstar. It is hard for me to envision that. His ceiling looks more like a Lorenzo Cain/Mike Cameron type player, which obviously has value but isn't a guy you see in the All-Star game 7-10 years in a row.

Honestly it astounds me when I read people saying there isn't really anywhere besides 2B that they see a need for an upgrade on the Brewers. Say what? You wouldn't rather have Correa instead of Arcia? Sanchez instead of Pina? Arenado instead of Shaw?

Say what?!

Come on man, seriously? These superstar players don't grow on trees. Rizzo isn't the best 1b in the league, but you don't see the cubs trying to upgrade at the position because "well goldschmidt and votto are better". It's far more reasonable and more valuable to try and improve at your weakest spots and get better that way.

Correct. You want to improve at your weakest spots. The Brewers' goal is to win the World Series. They won 86 games. They have lots of weak spots. Yes they are ahead of schedule in the rebuild but they could use upgrades all over the roster. Knebel was the only legit All-Star out of the whole bunch. They have a nice core of 3-4 win players. Time to upgrade significantly and go for it....

Yes, many positions on the field can be upgraded. They may shuffle things around a bit, but I personally do not want to spend any prospect capital to obtain anything better than what we have. I could see a situation where we trade 2 pieces for 1 better piece.

All of that said, my strategy going forward is to not trade any of our controllable assets (for the most part). I would pony up for upgrades over the next few years.

When Shaw, Anderson, Nelson, etc. are due to be free agents, there is a high probability that almost none of those guys would be good 2nd contract guys.

Keep the flow of young talent coming in and fill it in with vets.

I think the upgrades are at 2B and pitching. I would not be opposed to keeping Walker, I liked him. Every team needs bullpen help, and I would target a decent starter, either through trade or FA. I am ready to move on from Broxton, I liked what I saw of Phillips. If Broxton can bring you a reliever, or a low end starter, I'd grab it. I'm fine with the Aguilar/Thames hybrid at 1B. You could get better there, but probably at high cost. I don't think this team needs a huge boost. I think they're good. We need a pitcher to replace Nelson, maybe one more for competition (either internal or external), and some bodies for the bullpen.

There are very few superstars, that's why they're superstars. I don't think that's a realistic goal in building a roster, especially in Milwaukee. If you stumble on it, great.

Arcia was young at every level. I mean look at this season, he's already shown more power. He could still get better and better and become Lindor. COULD.

Hader and Peralta both have nasty enough stuff that they could be that true ace type if they figure it all out.

Santana is what 24? And seems to cruise through hitting .900ish. Personally, I don't see his ceiling much higher but it's possible.

And yes Brinson. Ceiling is a star, but very few get there. Again, that's why they're stars.

That's not counting guys in the low minors, all it takes is for one to explode into stardom, and there's enough talent there where it's legit possible.

Now, even if nobody reaches that elite level they can compete for a WS title with, say, five #2 type starters, a great BP, speed, defense, and a line-up that is really good but not spectacular.

Part of the reason for wanting to upgrade 1B is because it frees up a roster spot. Thames cannot hit lefties. So not only do you get more production out of 1B, but you free up a roster spot by not needing an Aguillar to platoon.

Part of the reason for wanting to upgrade 1B is because it frees up a roster spot. Thames cannot hit lefties. So not only do you get more production out of 1B, but you free up a roster spot by not needing an Aguillar to platoon.

Hosmer’s career OPS vs. LHP is under .700

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

For years the Brewers had nothing for bench bats; now that they have a couple people complain about taking up a roster spot. If the Brewers have a good OF bench bat people complain that he won't get enough AB's and should send him down to AAA to get regular playing time. If the Brewers had a good non-1B infield bat... we wouldn't be having a conversation about who will play 2B.

What two 1Bs take up in rosters spots is made up by Perez who can play seven positions. If the Brewers keep both Brinson and Phillips those two can play all three OF spots, freeing up the need to keep a 5th OF.

As for FAs, if the Brewers bring back Swarzak they will have almost a full bullpen with a possible need for just a 2nd lefty:

Knebel (closer), Swarzak (setup), Hughes (setup/MR - he's never been a closer so he won't get big money in arby), Jeffress (setup/MR), Barnes (setup/MR), one of Hader/Suter. If they keep seven, then either Taylor Williams or a 2nd lefty for the last bullpen spot. If they want eight relievers, pencil in Williams and find a 2nd lefty.

I wouldn't be surprised if they make a bullpen splash outside of Swarzak. Those guys can usually be had for shorter term deals. I wouldn't be shocked by a high profile move that costs a lot of money for the rotation.

Personally I think Zack Cozart could be a really good target. Could be huge 2B upgrade and won't command a lot of years. His salary will be steep, but it will be off the books before it is a serious problem trying to retain our core if we want to.

I don’t understand the Cozart to 2B posts? He’s not a two-bagger and he’s coming off a huge year offensively. Why would he do that for Milwaukee?
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

While not a free agent, Marco Estrada can probably be had from the Jays for the proverbial "bag of balls"/low level prospect. Only one year and $13M left on his contract. Started 33 games, pitched 186 innings, struck out 176; walks were higher than his career average, H/9 above career average. Despite the ERA, Estrada was a 2.2 bWAR and 2.6fWAR player last year. Pretty much worth his salary.

Not ideal, but I think better than giving someone like Cobb 3/4 years at $13M+/year (Lynn will easily get 4/$60M) or trading a bunch of prospects. If he can get his walks down to his career average the HRs won't hurt as much and he can be closer to his 2015/2016 form. If he's a bust, he can at least eat innings and then bring up Houser or Burnes/Peralta/Ortiz after the Super 2 threshold.

Again, not ideal, but IMO better than a multi-year free agent deal. I think they just need a starter for one year until Nelson is hopefully healthy and Houser/Burnes/Peralta/Ortiz can step up in 2019.

I don’t understand the Cozart to 2B posts? He’s not a two-bagger and he’s coming off a huge year offensively. Why would he do that for Milwaukee?

I have to agree. Cozart has never played an inning anywhere besides SS in his entire career. Not saying he couldn't but a big part of his value is that he's an elite defensive SS, too. Maybe it would be different if he were a bad defensive SS who could benefit from a move to 2nd but not the case here.

He'll get big money and multiple years from someone who needs him to play short. I'd be nervous about such a big commitment for someone with one great out of nowhere offensive year anyway.

While not a free agent, Marco Estrada can probably be had from the Jays for the proverbial "bag of balls"/low level prospect. Only one year and $13M left on his contract. Started 33 games, pitched 186 innings, struck out 176; walks were higher than his career average, H/9 above career average. Despite the ERA, Estrada was a 2.2 bWAR and 2.6fWAR player last year. Pretty much worth his salary.

Not ideal, but I think better than giving someone like Cobb 3/4 years at $13M+/year (Lynn will easily get 4/$60M) or trading a bunch of prospects. If he can get his walks down to his career average the HRs won't hurt as much and he can be closer to his 2015/2016 form. If he's a bust, he can at least eat innings and then bring up Houser or Burnes/Peralta/Ortiz after the Super 2 threshold.

Again, not ideal, but IMO better than a multi-year free agent deal. I think they just need a starter for one year until Nelson is hopefully healthy and Houser/Burnes/Peralta/Ortiz can step up in 2019.

Didn't they just extend Estrada like a month ago? Doesn't make much sense to me that they would extend him only to trade him for nothing a month or 2 later.

Cozrt sits a lot of games due to nagging injuries and rest. I had him on a couple fantasy teams this year, and it was one thing after another.

2017 he started 113 games

2016 he started 112 games

2015 he started only 52 games

Looks and feels a lot like Braun and his issues... No way we can pay what he will probably demand and get a guy who only plays 110 - 115 games. Not to mention, he's a SS, not a 2B.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I have to agree. Cozart has never played an inning anywhere besides SS in his entire career. Not saying he couldn't but a big part of his value is that he's an elite defensive SS, too. Maybe it would be different if he were a bad defensive SS who could benefit from a move to 2nd but not the case here.

He'll get big money and multiple years from someone who needs him to play short. I'd be nervous about such a big commitment for someone with one great out of nowhere offensive year anyway.

But who is going to be in the SS market? He may have trouble finding a team - in which case a more reasonable deal from r someone as injury prone as him would make more sense.

With the supply of decent 2B possibly exceeding demand I hope the Brewers sign one on a decent deal. It wouldn’t have to be too long then either (not that I already assume Hiura if the future at 2B like some apparently do )

Cozrt sits a lot of games due to nagging injuries and rest. I had him on a couple fantasy teams this year, and it was one thing after another.

2017 he started 113 games

2016 he started 112 games

2015 he started only 52 games

Looks and feels a lot like Braun and his issues... No way we can pay what he will probably demand and get a guy who only plays 110 - 115 games. Not to mention, he's a SS, not a 2B.

Who cares if he only plays 113 games if he's 5 WAR?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

The per year size of the commitment is almost irrelevant because we have so much money to burn. We're talking about $55 million available for the first year of deals.

So it simply becomes a question of, would you want a player who's only had 1 great year, or settle for a player who's had zero great years?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

But who is going to be in the SS market? He may have trouble finding a team - in which case a more reasonable deal from r someone as injury prone as him would make more sense.

With the supply of decent 2B possibly exceeding demand I hope the Brewers sign one on a decent deal. It wouldn’t have to be too long then either (not that I already assume Hiura if the future at 2B like some apparently do )

Arizona comes to mind. Maybe the Twins? Giants if they think they can get right back to contention. It's hard to say right now, a lot can happen in the off-season, guys could be traded, signed, etc.

Only way I could see us pursuing Cozart would be if we were to trade Arcia as part of a big off-season blockbuster. Which I doubt would happen, although I suppose we traded Escobar at a similar spot in his career so you never know.

Archived