Brewer Fanatic

Favorite Games of 2017

Thought we could start a little retrospective on some of the great wins the Brewers pulled out this year. I have three personal favorites, other than the obvious Shaw walk-off.

1) Mother's Day. May have been the most fun day of the season for me. I was perfectly happy with taking 2 of 3 vs. the Mets, and then they go down 6-1 and you figure, okay, good series, nobody get hurt. Then they start to chip away, and Pina hits an intense homer to give them the lead. They complete the comeback and win. Just excellent.

2) Game 4 vs. the D-Backs at Miller Park (May 28), only because I was there. I don't get to many games living out of town. Santana hits a grand slam and the Crew builds a build early lead. The D-Backs come back and scored 4 in the eighth, pinch-hit Goldschmidt as the tying run, and he hits a bullet of a lineout to Broxton in center. Brewers added one in the ninth and won 9-5. I hadn't seen a win in a couple of years, so that was pretty cool.

3) Jimmy's CG vs. the Padres. Really fun to watch a pitcher throw that kind of game.

There have been so many but the one I remember recently was the game when Travis hit the walk off homer to win the game and extend their chance for the playoffs. His eyes getting wide while watching it go over the fence then the celebration in the dugout when he got there. Excitement, happiness by every member of that team.

This team headed by CC is what good baseball is all about. No big egos, no selfishness, no high priced free agents who only want to slide by with little effort since their contract is guaranteed and they don't need to hustle or care about team chemistry.

Stearns has some work to do to strengthen this team but the nucleus is there right now.

I love this team!

I loved the Keon catch over the wall to end the game about a month ago. And the Friday night game in New York against the Yankees when Aguilar hit two bombs. Game wasn't as dramatic but just loved beating the Yankees in New York.

6/21 4-3 win over the Pirates. Only game I made it to during my summer visit. Dad and I had good seats, Domingo had a 2 run shot in the 7th to take the lead, and the final out on Arcia's web gem spin throw to Thames.

I love being reminded of great ones I've forgotten! Here's one. Man I was pumped after that Arcia throw.

July 28... Suter goes 7 scoreless against the Cubs.

Sept. 23... Suter goes 5.1, holds the Cubs to a run, Shaw with the walk-off in the bottom of the 10th for the only win of that four-game set.

Above as well as July 6th game vs Cubs. The "rain out" makeup game, Brewers rocked them.

Also the Nelson complete game vs Padres, Nelson vs Kershaw (even though Crew lost), Mothers Day with the comeback and Pina bat spike. Probably many more I can't think of right now. Fun year. Can't wait to really deep dive on some of the other awesome games.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

This is an easy one for me, April 29th against the Braves. For the Brewers, this game was rough - they blew two separate 4 run leads and wound up losing to the Braves. I think Matt Kemp hit 3 HR too.

So why is this my favorite? It's a long story, but my son was the "play ball" kid on this night. He was only 4 at the time (now 5) but he's gotten really into sports and this was a very cool, once in a lifetime type experience. We got to hangout on the field before the game, hi fived some players, all kinds of cool stuff.

He's also had some speech problems in his young life (he's fine now) but he had to go to speech therapy and stuff, so to see him go from a kid struggling to talk or say basic things...to standing in front of 30K people and tell everyone to "play ball" was a pretty cool moment as a father. Certainly something I'll never forget - hopefully he's old enough to remember it forever too.

The Brewers did a write-up about it and everything:

https://brewers.mlblogs.com/homework-kid-visits-miller-park-be35d4cf8d55?gi=700ca0e6b58d

Don't have the date, but the walk off game by Thames where his team mobbed him and ripped off his jersey!!! Was there in person, and it was awesome!
"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I'd go with the Pina mother's day game #1 and Shaw's walkoff to stay alive vs the Cubs #2. I know the end of the year was frustrating/stressful, but April and May sure was a lot of fun when the offense was churning and they would always bounce back.

I'll go with the July 7th game vs. the Yankees. Aguilar had a huge GS and Hader had his welcome to the bigs showing by striking out 7 in 3IP. That sweep of the Yanks plus the Cubbies losing the last two before the All-Star break was the peak of the Brewers' year.

This is an easy one for me, April 29th against the Braves. For the Brewers, this game was rough - they blew two separate 4 run leads and wound up losing to the Braves. I think Matt Kemp hit 3 HR too.

So why is this my favorite? It's a long story, but my son was the "play ball" kid on this night. He was only 4 at the time (now 5) but he's gotten really into sports and this was a very cool, once in a lifetime type experience. We got to hangout on the field before the game, hi fived some players, all kinds of cool stuff.

He's also had some speech problems in his young life (he's fine now) but he had to go to speech therapy and stuff, so to see him go from a kid struggling to talk or say basic things...to standing in front of 30K people and tell everyone to "play ball" was a pretty cool moment as a father. Certainly something I'll never forget - hopefully he's old enough to remember it forever too.

https://brewers.mlblogs.com/homework-kid-visits-miller-park-be35d4cf8d55?gi=700ca0e6b58d

This is super cool. Thanks for sharing!

This is super cool. Thanks for sharing!

Agree completely, this is awesome! More kid's need homework assignments like that.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

The Neil Walker grand slam game had to be my favorite. It was a great crowd loaded up to cheer them on in short notice. Everyone was on their feet and wanted that grand slam so bad. Walker obliged an gave us what we wanted. I really thought it was going to be a turning point on the season.

The Travis Shaw walk off HR was also insane. Anytime a team hits a walk off HR when losing it is an instant classic. Gotta love it.

I like the effort, but I'd have to give him a B on that project. He forgot the Cardinals on the "don't like" side. No excuse there. Haha

What's funny is he actually came home and told me that he wanted to put the Vikings in the "don't like" and the Badgers in the "like" but that they didn't have those as options. I haven't yet taught him about the Cardinals, but he very much knows he dislikes the Cubs, Vikings and Bears (and also Michigan and Duke).

It was very cool of the Brewers to do it. I tweeted it to them after he brought it home and it just took on a life all of it's own. They asked me permission to use it on other social media. They posted it on FB and it got over 5000 likes. They then asked me for our address and they sent him a huge box full of stuff - signed ball by Scooter, bobbleheads, couple of hats and then a handwritten note inviting him to be the "Play Ball" kid.

They obviously didn't have to do any of that - and I sent them several thank you emails and tweets, but how do you thank a franchise (or media relations dept or whoever) for giving a kid a once in a lifetime moment??

It was pretty awesome - and easily my favorite Brewers game I've ever attended (and I was at NLDS Game 5, among several other memorable ones). Never thought I'd say that, especially about a game the Brewers lost, but sometimes there are thing bigger than the game, and for me, this was definitely one of those times.

Archived