Brewer Fanatic

Missed the boat

BillMilton

Followed by taking 3 of 4 against Washington. 2 of 3 at LA. And sweeping the Cubs in Chicago.

To me, that makes it even more frustrating...

Seems like we often played up or down to the given competition.

That will have to change, winners don't play to the level of their competition, they play above them.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Followed by taking 3 of 4 against Washington. 2 of 3 at LA. And sweeping the Cubs in Chicago.

To me, that makes it even more frustrating...

Seems like we often played up or down to the given competition.

That will have to change, winners don't play to the level of their competition, they play above them.

I agree with another poster it will be interesting to watch what DS does this off-season. That said, I think part of the ground work related to playing up/down to the competition has already been started in the minors.

Using items from Baseball America in 2017, the Brewers had the 11th best overall record for the 30 organizations (across all levels). Their best showing since 2007.

In 2016, the Crew finished in 29th (of 30).

In 2015, they finished in 28th (of 30).

In 2014, they finished in 14th (of 30).

In 2013, they finished in 28th (of 30).

In 2012, they finished in 26th (of 30).

In 2011, they finished in 29th (of 30).

In 2010, they finished in 17th (of 30).

In 2009, they finished in 22nd (of 30).

In 2008, they finished in 26th (of 30).

In 2007, they finished in 2nd (of 30).

I can go on with this listing. Many people on this board seem to have an issue with the Cardinals. I suspect that part of that is rooted in the aspect that the Cardinals always seem to be relevant and produce players thru their system. Lets look at the Cards during the same period of time.

in 2017, they finished tied in 3rd (of 30).

In 2016, they finished in 10th (of 30).

In 2015, they finished in 11th (of 30).

In 2014, they finished in 4th (of 30).

In 2013, they finished in 18th (of 30).

In 2012, they finished tied in 15th (of 30).

In 2011, they finished in 6th (of 30).

In 2010, they finished in 1st (of 30).

In 2009, they finished in 24th (of 30).

In 2008, they finished in 8th (of 30).

In 2007, they finished in 23rd (of 30).

Say what you will how the Cardinals got their results in some cases, the fact remains they developed and maintain a general standard of success thru the minors over the years that players are expected (& in many cases) continue in the majors.

As the Crew continues to turn around its own farm system, I believe that maintaining success on the farm with help the Crew achieve and maintain periods of success in the majors.

It's frustrating to miss out of the playoffs by the thinnest of margins. But, there was probably less than a 5% chance anyone here thought we'd be in this position anyways.

There's likely to be the same two camps of people on this outcome. Those that are encouraged by the progress of the rebuild and thankful we didn't part with really anything in terms of legitimate prospects (and equally happy that our surprise success forced the Cubs to deplete their farm), and those that are outraged we didn't push the chips in and go for the big splash to maybe add a few more wins.

Gruber Lawffices

I was over it...until I just looked and saw if we didnt piss that game away last night we'd be in.

You can totally ignore everything that happened today. The Rockies didn't care. The Cardinals didn't care. Honestly, the lineup the Brewers had showed they didn't care either. As I've said plenty of times, this last month isn't where the playoffs was lost. It was April and May when the bullpen couldn't hold a 4 run lead.

Noted above on the 0-4s.

It is just bone crushing to the three losses in row all winnable games to Pitts twice and then the Cubs. Followed by the blown loss to the Cardinals Saturday. Epic, late inning failures. Just remarkable how bad the Brewers bats are in 6th inning and later at not scoring runs. Leaving 10+! Runners on base and follow that with bullpen blowing so many of the games.

I'm not all that sorry we missed the boat. This bunch still has a lot to learn, especially how to manufacture runs when you absolutely need to! Even if we got a WC spot I doubt we would have done much this year. I will say the future looks bright and 2018 is gonna be fun. :)

Noted above on the 0-4s.

It is just bone crushing to the three losses in row all winnable games to Pitts twice and then the Cubs. Followed by the blown loss to the Cardinals Saturday. Epic, late inning failures. Just remarkable how bad the Brewers bats are in 6th inning and later at not scoring runs. Leaving 10+! Runners on base and follow that with bullpen blowing so many of the games.

Don't forget losing all 3 games in the last Reds series, that was a crusher!

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

The thing is, everything that caused us to lose when we lost resulted from the same organizational philosophy, leadership structure, evaluation processes, etc. that caused us to win when we won. You can't tweak reality. You can, our could have, changed up reality wholesale -- different manager, GM, trade strategy, etc. -- but based on our expectations and results, I'm not trading our actual 2017 season for what's behind door number 2.

that July sweep by the Pirates was brutal, that was the hardest series to watch because the Pirates

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Archived