Brewer Fanatic

How Will Mike Matheny "Manage" the Last Brewer Series?

Dead Simmons

Will he play the rooks? Will he continue to sit Molina for the season due to his concussion issue? And Carpenter for his shoulder? Will he have a quick hook so he can see young pitching? Or will he really try to beat you for the integrity of the game?

I think he will try to the best of his limited abilities as the baseball world will be watching because it's the only thing left to watch of any circumstance. It's only locally known that he's an idiot as a manager. He doesn't want that to get out I would think.

FWI: It looked for all the world last night that the Cardinals did not care. 10 strikeouts looking, 17 in all. You gotta go back a lot of years for a Cardinal offense that putrid.

well if the brewers were in the cardinals role, I'd hope Counsel would play the everyday lineup until the cards were eliminated and then rest them.

I agree 100%. I hope the Dodgers do the same, although that's obviously a different set of circumstances. But if the Rockies were playing, say, the Giants, I would hope and expect Bochy to do his best to beat them.

I think it is unfair to say that the Cardinals players were not trying... They still want stats, they still want to get paid...

As much as I hate them, I highly doubt they were not trying.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

The big thing is the fact it is only three days. Really aren't going to get much of a look at anyone in the short of time. Maybe Molina doesn't come back, but at the same time it is always nice not to end your season injured.

They just aren't hunting for a postseason spot. That could matter, but probably not. The Brewers have to go out there and score runs. The pitching will have the adrenaline going and find ways to get outs. The key here at the end is hitting.

I read that Carpenter is for sure shut down. I also read that Molina/Wong are both less than likely to play at all. If I'm the cardinals, I for sure sit Molina unless he's for sure ready to go. Concussions are a super tricky issue and he's a staple on that team. Wong I'd be less concerned about and play him if he feels ready. Those 3 guys out helps our chances considerably. Also the Rockies have probably their 2 worst starters going against 2 high end starters for the Dodgers.

Trying to stay positive but it is so hard when you have the history that has been between these two teams. It's really hard to not think that the Cards will figure out a way to win at least one game.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Shutting down injured players like Molina, Carpenter, etc. should be done, there is no good reason to play them. As for the others, it would depend on who is on the roster and what they are trying to do. Anyone they expect to be a regular next year should play. Having a smaller pitch count on starters also makes sense. I don't think any of these things impacts the integrity of the game, and at this point probably won't make any difference in the chances of the Cardinals winning.

FWI: It looked for all the world last night that the Cardinals did not care. 10 strikeouts looking, 17 in all. You gotta go back a lot of years for a Cardinal offense that putrid.

I was watching last night and was really surprised by the lack of urgency as well. The announcers kept seemingly reminding the viewers at home that the game mattered. It sure looked like it didn't. Especially those last three offensive innings against Tseng (sp?), where Maddon was like, "let's just see what this guy's got" and the Cards kept putting together bad/mediocre ABs. The last play got them juiced a little bit (deep fly ball to center that Leonys Martin made a Broxton-style grab on to preserve the win), but it seemed to come out of nowhere and then was over just as fast. Of course, that doesn't really mean anything for the upcoming series, but it did make me a little more appreciative of this Brewer bunch. They've shown a lot of resiliency and spirit this year, I think, even when it looked like they were ready to fade.

That performance also seemed really atypical of the Cardinal teams I've seen. Usually, they've got as much fire as anyone (probably more), so I was pretty stunned to see them essentially playing out the string. I hope the lethargy continues into the weekend, but playing young guys might give them more energy, and maybe they get pumped about at least ruining the Brewers season. We'll see.

Is Matheny managing for his job next year? He seems like a good candidate to be fired as they have finished worse each season over the last five years.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Is Matheny managing for his job next year? He seems like a good candidate to be fired as they have finished worse each season over the last five years.

Yeah, this pretty much seems spot on. He's taken a lot of criticism for his in-game skills. Of course, that's just part of managing - but still, the club expects more and they seem to have been pretty 'blah' the last couple of seasons. A new voice in the clubhouse is probably in order.

Matheney is toast. You don't get to miss the postseason twice in a row here, plus Mozielak has Beaned him with trades a few times.

I love our team, but one issue is that strength of opposition seems utterly irrelevant. We could easily lose to the Memphis Redbirds (or beat the '27 Yankees).

Also, 2nd place in the division is still in play. I doubt the Cards want to finish third.

The answer is a resounding NO. Mo' hired him as a rookie manager with zero experience at any level to be the stoic yes-man in contrast to Tony La freakin' Russa, who actually called the shots.

As long as the team is making money those two have a job.

It will be strange to root for you guys vs. the team of my youth this weekend, but the Cubs got their WS monkey off their back, ditto the Red/White Sox and you guys are due. The dream match up in my mind would be Milwaukee-Cleveland, who also has not won it all since the '50's.

Oh man. A Brewers-Cleveland World Series would be worth it just for the constant references to Major League (I mean, not to mention the utter joy I would feel to have the Crew there in the first place, but the movie connection would add a cool angle to that particular matchup). If it happens, it really must do so with Ueck still kicking. Anything else would be a cosmic injustice.

Oh man. A Brewers-Cleveland World Series would be worth it just for the constant references to Major League (I mean, not to mention the utter joy I would feel to have the Crew there in the first place, but the movie connection would add a cool angle to that particular matchup). If it happens, it really must do so with Ueck still kicking. Anything else would be a cosmic injustice.

Now that I think of it, Uek is the only actor from the film who's still on top! Snipes' tax dodging snafu...Sheen went insane :laughing ... Beringer got old and the Jobu Pedro guy just does commercials.

They would all show up at the games....borderline media circus!

major-league-movie.jpg

Archived