Brewer Fanatic

2017-09-27: Reds (Bailey) at Brewers (Woodruff) 7:10 PM CDT (Brewers lose, 6-0)

reillymcshane
  • Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I’m starting to become very unimpressed with Woodruff. Maybe we do need a free agent or two for next year.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Yup, they should have been sitting on like a 12 game lead instead of 2-5.5 the way the offense was at the beginning.

The way this team has been this year they're not gonna quit tonight, hopefully we'll see that again and fight back right away and make it a game

Lefties now 4 for 6 off of Wang this year. A LOOGY pitcher he may not be.

He may just not be very good.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

So I guess in Counsell's mind this is not a must win game? Considering we already know the Rockies won what is he thinking using Wang and Torres?

I mean what can you do? Who can you put in right now? We've gotta cover 7 innings now, there are no good options to do that in the pen right now.

If you aren't going to pitch Junior Guerra in a game like this, why in the heck is he even on the roster?

So I guess in Counsell's mind this is not a must win game? Considering we already know the Rockies won what is he thinking using Wang and Torres?

I mean what can you do? Who can you put in right now? We've gotta cover 7 innings now, there are no good options to do that in the pen right now.

Bases loaded 1 out, season on the line I would use the best player I have available. Wang and Torres are not that.

Now we can just watch a bunch of strikeouts on junk out of the zone as every hitter tries for a 6 run HR the rest of the game

The bases are loaded and the season is on the line? And he brings in Carlos Torres.

Who's he gonna pitch? Swarzak? He blew Hader last night. Seem allergic to Guerra and Taylor Williams. Garza? Come on! They needed a big start and didn't get it. That isn't on Counsell.

Should have brought Knebel in instead of Wang

The bases are loaded and the season is on the line? And he brings in Carlos Torres.

Who's he gonna pitch? Swarzak? He blew Hader last night. Seem allergic to Guerra and Taylor Williams. Garza? Come on! They needed a big start and didn't get it. That isn't on Counsell.

The Reds have the worst pitching staff in the league, and you want to blow your closer in the 3rd inning? Or should that have been in blue?

Lefties now 4 for 6 off of Wang this year. A LOOGY he may not be.

Early in the season everyone wanted to throw Drake and Hughes to the curb and just bring in guys like Wang. Heck I was hoping Wang would get a shot eventually.

Different isn't always better. Not that Drake and Hughes are great.

The Reds have the worst pitching staff in the league, and you want to blow your closer in the 3rd inning? Or should that have been in blue?

If Knebel gets 3 outs at any point of the game then he is not being "blown", just randomly saving your best pitcher until the 9th inning is not a good strategy. If we had a bases loaded situation with a pitcher due up in the 4th inning, should we use our best pinch hitter or someone else so we can save our best one for later? There is no better possible scenario to use your best pinch hitter than bases loaded, and there is no better time to use your best pitcher than with the bases loaded, needing a strikeout with the season on the line. In addition, it is better to use Knebel earlier because if he has a quick inning he can be used to face more hitters than only 3 if was saved for the 9th.

If Knebel gets 3 outs at any point of the game then he is not being "blown", just randomly saving your best pitcher until the 9th inning is not a good strategy. If we had a bases loaded situation with a pitcher due up in the 4th inning, should we use our best pinch hitter or someone else so we can save our best one for later? There is no better possible scenario to use your best pinch hitter than bases loaded, and there is no better time to use your best pitcher than with the bases loaded, needing a strikeout with the season on the line. In addition, it is better to use Knebel earlier because if he has a quick inning he can be used to face more hitters than only 3 if was saved for the 9th.

I totally agree with this. The 3rd inning can be high leverage, and the game can get away from you there if you don't so something about it -- And it did.

'Conventional wisdom' has come a long ways but still has a long ways to go. Unfortunately most managers are still married to the idea of closers = 9th inning and 3 run or less lead.

I get the logic of what you're saying, but no major league team operates that way. None. It just isn't on anyone's radar.

Archived