Arcia

Bench

Vogt

Thames

Sogard

Perez

Phillips

This

Trade Santana, and that would be my ideal roster. I have a sneaking suspicion that at least one of Guerra/Gallardo/Miley are going to make the opening day roster, though. I just hope it isn't at the expense of Woodruff.

Wade Miley will be on the roster either in the Bullpen or Starting. Yes, it will take a spot away from Woodruff or someone better than Miley. Brewers brass like older veterans to steer the young guys. I wouldn't be surprised if Miley and Gallardo make the team and two guys better than them get sent down.

Rotation (5)

Anderson

Davies

Chacin

Guerra

Miley

Bullpen (8)

Knebel

Hader

Albers

Jeffress

Logan

Barnes

Suter

Gallardo

Lineup (8)

Villar- 2B

Cain- CF

Yelich- LF

Braun- 1B

Santana- RF

Shaw- 3B

Arcia- SS

Pina- C

Bench (4)

Bandy- C

Thames- 1B/LF

Sogard- IF

Perez- IF/OF

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Roster:

Starters (5): Anderson, Davies, Chacin, Guerra, Suter

Relievers (8): Knebel, Albers, Barnes, Jeffress, Hader, Logan, Hoover, Miley

Position Players (12): Everyday players: Cain, Yelich, Shaw, Arcia. Rotational players in the field: Sogard, Perez, Thames, Santana, Braun, Pina, Bethancourt.

Prime PH/DH: Aguilar

Roster:

Starters (5): Anderson, Davies, Chacin, Guerra, Suter

Relievers (8): Knebel, Albers, Barnes, Jeffress, Hader, Logan, Hoover, Miley

Position Players (12): Everyday players: Cain, Yelich, Shaw, Arcia. Rotational players in the field: Sogard, Perez, Thames, Santana, Braun, Pina, Bethancourt.

Prime PH/DH: Aguilar

You clearly are more anti-villar and pro-guerra than most. Do you see Villar getting traded or DFA? I'm also not sure on Hoover, and I think if Miley and Suter are both kept...it will be Miley in the rotation. I also noted that only Hader/Barnes of the 8 relievers you listed have options...and those guys aren't going anywhere. The Hoover/Miley spots likely include one guy with options that can get swapped out for others with options.

I think Williams and Woodruff find opening day spots. I get the Williams has options argument, but we have enough depth options headed to AAA that someone likely will look good down there and get bumped...plus we need someone in the pen with options. Woodruff I think has an inside track so long as he looks ok later in spring, but Miley/Guerra definitely could kick him to AAA if he doesn't earn a spot.

The roster on this site indicates that both Sogard and Gallardo have options. Is there something in their contracts that allows them to opt out is they aren't on the 25? If they can option them, perhaps we see something like:

SP (5): Anderson, Davies, Chacin, Miley, Suter

BP(8): Knebel, Albers, Hader, Logan, Barnes, Jeffress, Guerra, Williams

C (2): Pina, Bandy (Vogt on DL)

IF (6): Thames, Villar, Arcia, Shaw, Perez, Aguilar

OF (4): Cain, Yelich, Santana, Braun

Notable Minors: Woodruff, Wilkerson, Gallardo, Burnes, Peralta, Houser, Sogard, Dubon, Phillips, Broxton

DFA: Drake (to make room for Miley)

Cut: Hoover, Frieri, Choi

Sign a starter and move Suter to the pen and option Williams

Designate Vogt or Bandy when Vogt is healthy

The roster on this site indicates that both Sogard and Gallardo have options. Is there something in their contracts that allows them to opt out is they aren't on the 25? If they can option them, perhaps we see something like:

Notable Minors: Woodruff, Wilkerson, Gallardo, Burnes, Peralta, Houser, Sogard, Dubon, Phillips, Broxton

I don't think the Brewers have to cut Choi, as he would be good depth to have at Colorado Springs. Also, a good first half with inflated AAA numbers could be decent trade bait.

I don't think the Brewers have to cut Choi, as he would be good depth to have at Colorado Springs. Also, a good first half with inflated AAA numbers could be decent trade bait.

I'm not sure, but I believe I read that Choi can opt out if he's not in the Majors.

I'm not sure, but I believe I read that Choi can opt out if he's not in the Majors.

This article does a good job at listing which players can opt out. Based on this article, it looks like he doesn't have an opt out...but ya never know!

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/02/tracking-non-roster-invitees-with-big-league-experience.html

Choi has an opt out if he doesn't make the MLB roster as far as I'm aware. If he has a great spring he is free to go sign with anyone. He is basically showcasing himself for the rest of the league right now.

This article does a good job at listing which players can opt out. Based on this article, it looks like he doesn't have an opt out...but ya never know!

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/02/tracking-non-roster-invitees-with-big-league-experience.html

According to the report, Choi will have opt-outs at the end of Spring Training and on June 15, so the deal is presumably a Minor League pact.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I'm pretty sure Gallardo would have to agree to the optioning due to his service time. And since his contract is non-guaranteed, he would likely just get cut instead of paying him $2 million.

And I don't think they're paying Sogard $2.4 million to play in the minors.

Rotation (5)

Anderson

Davies

Chacin

Guerra

Miley

Bullpen (8)

Knebel

Hader

Albers

Jeffress

Logan

Barnes

Suter

Gallardo

Lineup (8)

Villar- 2B

Cain- CF

Yelich- LF

Braun- 1B

Santana- RF

Shaw- 3B

Arcia- SS

Pina- C

Bench (4)

Bandy- C

Thames- 1B/LF

Sogard- IF

Perez- IF/OF

I reluctantly think this is right. If villar bats 6th I wouldn't throw up.

With Cain and Yelich both in tow there is absolutely no reason for Villar to lead off, at least not to start the year. Your best hitters need to be at the top of the order (1-5) ... Villar is not one of those guys right now.

It is great that Miley is pitching well, it really is. Much better than the alternative. But let's hold off until he faces decent MLB talent before getting excited that he has fixed something in whatever has caused him a bunch of trouble in the last couple of seasons. I know we don't have a lot to go off of right now but it would be very shocking if he makes the MLB roster. Guerra, Woodruff, Suter are all ahead of him to get a rotation spot and if he isn't making the rotation he won't be on the roster.

Yep, Miley and Gallardo are strictly lottery tickets at this point. This team is not choosing the Suppans, Garzas, Lohses, and Wolfs over guys like Suter and Woodruff anymore. That's just pure laziness. Gallardo and Miley would have to be really good (not just numbers, but how they look) in spring training to get that chance.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Yep, Miley and Gallardo are strictly lottery tickets at this point. This team is not choosing the Suppans, Garzas, Lohses, and Wolfs over guys like Suter and Woodruff anymore. That's just pure laziness. Gallardo and Miley would have to be really good (not just numbers, but how they look) in spring training to get that chance.

I see your argument, and raise you Tommy Milone. Granted, there weren't as many candidates for a spot last year, but recent history does dictate that they have made odd rotation decisions.

I see your argument, and raise you Tommy Milone. Granted, there weren't as many candidates for a spot last year, but recent history does dictate that they have made odd rotation decisions.

Nobody in the minors was ready for a chance though. They were starting guys like Blazek when they had to call someone up. That's not the case anymore. Obviously I want the young guys to get a chance, so maybe that's a bias in what I'm predicting will happen. But I think the rational thing would be to choose guys in their physical prime or approaching it, as opposed to washed-up guys who might have been better in their prime but are unlikely to be now.

On that note, I'm not gonna do it again but I once crunched the combined numbers for some of the total rejects who pitched for the Brewers last year:

Espino

Milone

Peralta

Guerra

Blazek

Feliz

Scahill

Marinez

Wang

Webb

Jungmann

They had an e.r.a of 6 or 7 in the innings equivalent of 18 full games. They were basically a tanking team to start the season, but they won't be relying on any guys like that from day 1 this year. That's why I'm not overly concerned about the staff even without Nelson and with some likely regression for Anderson and Suter.

It would be so the Brewers way to give a guy like Miley a chance over Woodruff. I'm fully expecting that to happen.

That's the old regime. They've been pretty good about giving young guys chances. They don't pull the hook on guys like Garza and Guerra as impulsively as fans would, but they do it. They were trying to start Woodruff when they were in first place, but he got hurt. They were using Suter most of the year. I'm not worried about them being too biased in favor of veterans.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

At this point, until a move is made, I'm pulling for Woodruff and Suter to round out the rotation. I don't even care if Miley and Guerra pitch better in Spring Training. This would be more a case of wanting a couple homegrown guys to have success at the ML level.

If someone like Cobb or Arrieta is signed, though, something tells me Miley is inserted in the 5th spot. And Counsell will justify it by saying Cobb or Arrieta makes the rotation more competitive, and they wanted a veteran at the bottom to stabilize the rotation as a whole. Or some other ludicrous coach-speak like that.

I still don’t know why people get bent about homegrown vs. some free agent. If Miley is inserted it is because Johnson sees something there. Woodruff has to earn his spot, not just hand it to him because he might be good because he’s an upper prospect. And if Miley were to make it and stink, it’s an easy replacement.

Archived