Brewer Fanatic

2018 Brewers 25 Man Roster [Latest: Starting rotation set, post #445]

BrewCrewBlueDevil
Yeah that would’ve been with Thames in the roster. Basically, rotating 2 positions between Braun/Thames/Phillips means Phillips plays mostly against LHP because you’d want both the others vs righties. I’m not sure that’s the best

You'd have someone like Broxton getting a decent amount of ABs vs. the LHP or some cheap FA or Perez. Depending on Phillips' defense or ability to hit against LHP, maybe he'll eventually see a lot of LHP, but for now, they'll have someone to take some LHP ABs away from him.

We can only have so many guys on the roster, so I think it will be Perez and not Broxton getting those AB against LH pitching in this scenario. It's incredibly difficult to nail down the final 2-3 spots with so much of the offseason left to happen. Santana/Broxton/Phillips/Thames/Aguilar/Perez/villar all could be traded, and we could still add 2b help. Pitching I think is more or less figured out actually. We more than likely have one more addition coming to the rotation, and there will be a pretty heated battle for the last starting spot and last 1-2 bullpen spots.

• Replies 671
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah that would’ve been with Thames in the roster. Basically, rotating 2 positions between Braun/Thames/Phillips means Phillips plays mostly against LHP because you’d want both the others vs righties. I’m not sure that’s the best

You'd have someone like Broxton getting a decent amount of ABs vs. the LHP or some cheap FA or Perez. Depending on Phillips' defense or ability to hit against LHP, maybe he'll eventually see a lot of LHP, but for now, they'll have someone to take some LHP ABs away from him.

We can only have so many guys on the roster, so I think it will be Perez and not Broxton getting those AB against LH pitching in this scenario.

Exactly. I can't see any way Phillips is the platoon RF against LHP's. That doesn't make sense. There's no guarantee he hits better than Perez anyway, let alone on the wrong side of a platoon.

Perez is just a guy but the most efficient use of a roster spot, after considering trade assets (assuming they find a fair trade for Santana), team needs, and expected pa's, is to pencil him in against LHP's in RF. He's adequate for that and already has a roster spot anyway because of his versatility.

Broxton has an option and he's a perfect fit for starting in AAA and coming up in case an outfielder (like Cain, obviously) gets hurt, assuming they don't find a worthwhile trade for him, which I doubt they will.

Yeah been saying this awhile. If santana isn't traded there's no reason to barely play phillips in the majors. If Braun is still seen as primarily a OF again there's very little reason to start phillips in the majors.

Only way phillips is in the majors is if Braun is seeing over 80 games at 1st AND Santana is moved.

Broxton and Perez could both take some AB vs LHP off phillips plate so that works out just fine either way. They'd both need those ab because without Santana this team gets a touch soft vs lhp.

Only way phillips is in the majors is if Braun is seeing over 80 games at 1st AND Santana is moved.

80 games at 1b for Braun probably means at least 40 of those against RHB's, which means at least that many starts for Phillips. Include some days off for Yelich and Cain and some injuries to Braun, and there's plenty of starts for Phillips. That's before you even get started on all the pinch-hitting and defensive switches they'll be able to employ with this versatile roster. 80 is pretty high for a cut-off number there. I'd put it at maybe 60.

But I think he will get over 80 anyway. I can't really see him being a disaster at 1b, and it's not like Thames or Aguilar is good there. I firmly believe that Thames is just not a 120+ games guy, and Braun will get starts at 1b against RHP's as well. Thames labored after long stretches of playing almost every day last year, asked for mental days off in June, and falls back into his old bad habits when he doesn't have enough days off. And he's probably due for a little regression on his 2017 numbers anyway.

I'm pretty sure they're hoping to trade Santana and give Braun a good 80 starts at 1b, with Phillips starting at least that many games in the OF.

I don't want Phillips up this year unless he's looking at 120 starts. Playing every day at CS is better than plugging him into a 4th OF role. Cain yelich both start a lot of games with health. Braun/Thames take all of 1b. Even at that, unless thames is serverely limited in starts Braun will cover a lot of the yelich cain rest. Unless RF is a soft Phillips platoon there is not enough work for phillips baring injury. He can be called up for injury. Having a quality 4th OF is not worth stunting his development.

Right now my best guess would be

SP: Anderson, Davies, Chacin, Suter, Woodruff

RP: Knebal, Hader, Albers, Jeffress, Barnes, Logan, Gallardo, Guerra

C: Pina

1b: Thames

2b: Villar

SS: Arcia

3b: Shaw

LF: Yelich

CF: Cain

RF: Braun

Bench:

Vogt

Sogard

Perez

Santana

Woodruff to the minors if they sign Cobb or Arrieta.

Bench:

Vogt

Sogard

Perez

Santana

No way Santana is on the bench. Rumor has it Stearns already said Braun is penciled in as the RHB 1b at this point. If he wants extra starts, he'll have to earn most of them at the expense of Thames, unless Santana is traded.

I think you're going with name recognition in some of the staff decisions. Stearns has proven beyond a doubt that he doesn't care about names. He's a true talent miner who has no problem giving a spot to a no-name if he thinks he'll perform better. Guys like Guerra, Jeffress, and Gallardo will be given a chance, but they've looked absolutely awful for a full year now and are in the midst of a pretty dramatic physical decline. You have to realize that velocity went way up for most pitchers this year because of how they measured it differently, so a guy who lost a couple MPH really lost more like 4 or 5 relative to other pitchers.

Drake was better than Jeffress last year and I think he will make the roster, unless they sign a starter and move Suter to the pen. That would give them 3 guys to face LHB's, which is Drake's specialty because of his sinker. But even if they sign Cobb, Woodruff could be optioned with Suter still starting.

Guys like Houser and Williams have a pretty good chance to look better than Gallardo and Guerra in spring training and win those spots. They are at their physical peaks and experience can only take you so far when you're washed-up.

Gallardo, Jeffress, and Guerra will have to look significantly better than they did last year to have a chance at a roster spot. That's what it comes down to.

Bench:

Vogt

Sogard

Perez

Santana

No way Santana is on the bench. Rumor has it Stearns already said Braun is penciled in as the RHB 1b at this point. If he wants extra starts, he'll have to earn most of them at the expense of Thames, unless Santana is traded.

I think you're going with name recognition in some of the staff decisions. Stearns has proven beyond a doubt that he doesn't care about names. He's a true talent miner who has no problem giving a spot to a no-name if he thinks he'll perform better. Guys like Guerra, Jeffress, and Gallardo will be given a chance, but they've looked absolutely awful for a full year now and are in the midst of a pretty dramatic physical decline. You have to realize that velocity went way up for most pitchers this year because of how they measured it differently, so a guy who lost a couple MPH really lost more like 4 or 5 relative to other pitchers.

Drake was better than Jeffress last year and I think he will make the roster, unless they sign a starter and move Suter to the pen. That would give them 3 guys to face LHB's, which is Drake's specialty because of his sinker. But even if they sign Cobb, Woodruff could be optioned with Suter still starting.

Guys like Houser and Williams have a pretty good chance to look better than Gallardo and Guerra in spring training and win those spots. They are at their physical peaks and experience can only take you so far when you're washed-up.

Gallardo, Jeffress, and Guerra will have to look significantly better than they did last year to have a chance at a roster spot. That's what it comes down to.

The only reason I put Santana on the "bench" was because I think Braun will play more OF than 1b. But if it makes you feel better you can place Santana as a starter and Thames on the bench. It doesn't change much who gets listed. They will all get plenty of PT.

As far as the pen options I picked, I picked them because typically GMs try and keep the guys who don't have any options. That and I think Jeffress is better and has more upside than Drake. I am fairly confident Williams will start the year in the minors and they already said Houser was 3 weeks behind schedule so he will almost assuredly start in the minors as well. I did almost put Miley in ahead of Gallardo or Guerra. Mainly I think Knebal, Hader, Barnes, Logan, Albers are all locks. I think Jeffress has a leg up on making it & the last spot or two I think come down to the out of options guys Gallardo, Guerra, Miley, Drake etc. With the exception that Suter possibly moves to the pen if we sign a starter.

The long and short of it is that this roster makes little sense with Santana, Braun and Thames all on it. If Braun is the everyday LF, that means Cain or Yelich are playing out of position in RF. If Santana is the everyday RF, he largely negates the defensive upgrades Cain and Yelich bring to CF and LF, respectively. If Braun is the everyday RF, at this point in his career, he'd likely be similar to Santana defensively, which isn't good.

The only OF that makes sense for the moves they made is Yelich in LF, Cain in CF and Phillips in RF. That would likely be the best defensive OF this team has ever fielded. Braun would be able to get occasional starts in LF, which would kick Yelich to CF and Cain to RF, where he would be a little bit of a waste, but at least he has the arm talent to play out there. Otherwise Braun is going to have to play 1B, perhaps in a platoon with Thames.

I know a lot of you like Santana's bat. I do too. But there's just no logical fit for him on this roster, the way it's being constructed. You don't acquire Cain and Yelich, two superior defenders, and then stick with Santana in RF. I still say he'll be dealt, and likely soon.

The long and short of it is that this roster makes little sense with Santana, Braun and Thames all on it. If Braun is the everyday LF, that means Cain or Yelich are playing out of position in RF. If Santana is the everyday RF, he largely negates the defensive upgrades Cain and Yelich bring to CF and LF, respectively. If Braun is the everyday RF, at this point in his career, he'd likely be similar to Santana defensively, which isn't good.

The only OF that makes sense for the moves they made is Yelich in LF, Cain in CF and Phillips in RF. That would likely be the best defensive OF this team has ever fielded. Braun would be able to get occasional starts in LF, which would kick Yelich to CF and Cain to RF, where he would be a little bit of a waste, but at least he has the arm talent to play out there. Otherwise Braun is going to have to play 1B, perhaps in a platoon with Thames.

I know a lot of you like Santana's bat. I do too. But there's just no logical fit for him on this roster, the way it's being constructed. You don't acquire Cain and Yelich, two superior defenders, and then stick with Santana in RF. I still say he'll be dealt, and likely soon.

Why does starting Santana or Braun in RF negate the defensive improvement in CF or LF? You still have 2/3 of your outfield able to play GG defense while RF gets no worse than it was last year.

Why does starting Santana or Braun in RF negate the defensive improvement in CF or LF? You still have 2/3 of your outfield able to play GG defense while RF gets no worse than it was last year.

And you could look at it as their top D compensates for Santana’s or Braun in RF

I guess what I'm arguing is that you don't acquire Yelich and Cain unless you are putting a stronger emphasis on defense. Leaving your worst 2017 defender in Santana in place negates that emphasis.

I guess what I'm arguing is that you don't acquire Yelich and Cain unless you are putting a stronger emphasis on defense. Leaving your worst 2017 defender in Santana in place negates that emphasis.

Not necessarily. Change doesn't all have to come in one offseason. Also we have GG caliber defenders at C SS CF & LF now. With sure handed defenders at third and first as well. Our team defense is much improved from a few years ago. Our team defense should still be above average this season. Long term you may be right but doesn't mean this has to happen now

Not necessarily. Change doesn't all have to come in one offseason. Also we have GG caliber defenders at C SS CF & LF now. With sure handed defenders at third and first as well. Our team defense is much improved from a few years ago. Our team defense should still be above average this season. Long term you may be right but doesn't mean this has to happen now

I guess I'm also worried that if we don't sell high on Santana, he stands a good chance of losing value. I see him as a little more of a regression candidate than I do others, and he hasn't exactly been durable in his young career. Of course, it could be that other teams see that as well, and are making offers accordingly.

I've been advocating for a Phillips/Broxton platoon in RF with trading Santana for pitching/prospects. The defensive improvement would be huge.

They would probably set a record for most strikeouts in a season combined.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I've been advocating for a Phillips/Broxton platoon in RF with trading Santana for pitching/prospects. The defensive improvement would be huge.

They would also likely provide good production at a cheap price. The lineup needs as many lefties in it as possible when playing at Miller Park.

There aren't enough roster spots for Broxton and he has an option. He's way down the list. Aguilar is at least debatable because he doesn't have an option, and Phillips because he's a better player and better fit. The pitchers are nearly impossible to predict because there are so many questionable options for the last few spots.

I agree about Santana regressing, though probably not much. The skills are real, but there are some holes in his swing and some alarming defensive issues that make you wonder if he's got a mild case of Villar-brain.

Is 224 the record?

Suppose the Crew makes the following moves?

Sign Lucroy to a three year, $20 million deal ($6 million in 2018, $7 million in 2019 and 2020).

Trade Thames and Nottingham to the Rays for minor league LF/1B Joe McCarthy and LHP Travis Ott.

Trade Aguilar to Seattle for LHP James Pazos

Trade Broxton and Bandy to Toronto for IF Cavan Biggio.

Go with this 25-man roster:

cf: Cain

lf: Yelich

rf: Santana

1b: Braun

c: Lucroy

ss: Arcia

Pitcher

bench: Pina, Vogt, Sogard, Perez, Phillips

rotation: Anderson, Davies, Chacin, Woodruff, Suter

bullpen: Knebel, Pazos, Hader, Albers, Logan, Jeffress, Gallardo

Let's not forget that the Brewers pulled off a very successful experiment in September by going with bullpen by committee every 5th day. The Brewers could very well use 2-3 long players with short strings every 5th day. I'd like to see Woodruff starting, and I expect Gallardo to be the 4th/5th. But I can also envision situations where they do the piggyback/committee approach

Suppose the Crew makes the following moves?

Sign Lucroy to a three year, $20 million deal ($6 million in 2018, $7 million in 2019 and 2020).

Trade Thames and Nottingham to the Rays for minor league LF/1B Joe McCarthy and LHP Travis Ott.

Trade Aguilar to Seattle for LHP James Pazos

Trade Broxton and Bandy to Toronto for IF Cavan Biggio.

Go with this 25-man roster:

cf: Cain

lf: Yelich

rf: Santana

1b: Braun

c: Lucroy

ss: Arcia

Pitcher

bench: Pina, Vogt, Sogard, Perez, Phillips

rotation: Anderson, Davies, Chacin, Woodruff, Suter

bullpen: Knebel, Pazos, Hader, Albers, Logan, Jeffress, Gallardo

If we sign Lucroy (not going to happen at 3 years, no way, no how) Vogt will be gone. It would be asinine to keep a 3rd catcher on the bench.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Here's my guess on the roster.

Rotation

Anderson

Cobb

Davies

Chacin

Woodruff

Bullpen

Knebel

Hader

Albers