Brewer Fanatic

2018 Brewers 25 Man Roster [Latest: Starting rotation set, post #445]

BrewCrewBlueDevil
How would Vogt not be a lock? Did we acquire a catcher I am not remembering?

Unlikely but I could see it at least being remotely possible, if they really like Bandy or Susac as the backup and if Vogt pooches it in camp, they could get off the hook on most of his $3M+ or all if he was waived and claimed.

They really don't need 5 catchers on the 40 which is where they're currently at. But I would think most likely they just move on from Susac.

• Replies 671
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you don't feel Aguilar is worthy of a roster spot, why not have Perez be that half of the platoon? I'm not saying his splits are great for it but how many lefty starters do we face? Also, I would imagine he would be a pretty good defender.

I wouldn't quite see he should be that half of the platoon, but with Braun/Thames at 1b, he would clearly be a better option as an emergency 1b. With Braun and Thames you have two guys who can be borderline regulars at 1b, and one of them will be available to pinch-hit almost every game. There's no reason to waste a roster spot on such a limited guy like Aguilar as a 3rd-string 1b and pinch-hitter.

Vogt can be the emergency LHB 1b and Perez the emergency RHB 1b. Both of those guys are infinitely better uses of a roster spot because of what else they can do. Perez's value on defense and the basepaths is so much better that it could almost close the gap with Aguilar even regardless of the fact that he can play 4 other positions well. You can probably even add 2 more positions that he plays about as well as Aguilar plays 1b.

They need the extra reliever, period. Suter (or Hader) won't give you many innings per start, and guys like Anderson, Davis, and Chacin aren't exactly big innings-eaters either. Woodruff will probably have an innings limit as a young player, and Nelson will too when he comes back. This is one of the easiest offseason choices they will make.

My post was made with the assumption that Santana gets traded

If the season started today, assuming they keep 12 pitchers here's my breakdown of the 13 position players:

Locks (8): Cain, Yelich, Santana, Braun, Shaw, Arcia, Pina, Thames

Near locks (2): Vogt, Sogard

Guys fighting for 3 remaining spots (5): Perez, Villar, Phillips, Broxton, Aguilar

Trade possibles (5): Broxton, Santana, Perez, Villar, Aguilar, Thames

Phillips has options. Broxton does not. Opportunity for Phillips to play everyday at AAA and options might be deciding factor. Only one of two make team out of Arizona. I give Perez the edge over Villar for versatility and ability to hit LH pitching and play all 3 OF spots. Both could make the team only if Aguilar does not.

Where do you see that Broxton doesn't have options?

You're right about the guys fighting for remaining spots. I am convinced they will trade an outfielder, but I still think it's 3 spots to fight over because they will often roll with 13 pitchers. They have the versatility in the lineup and the need for an extra reliever.

Broxton in AAA and Aguilar traded solves everything as long as Braun can play 1b. I prefer to trade Santana but I understand it could be Phillips depending on the market.

Phillips has options. Broxton does not. Opportunity for Phillips to play everyday at AAA and options might be deciding factor. Only one of two make team out of Arizona.

keon broxton entered the 2017 season with one minor league option remaining. he was optioned in 2017 to colorado springs, but his stay there was brief (only ten days), which preserved his remaining minor league option for 2018.

It’s fine to see Aguilar as low man on the totem pole but to completely dismiss his 2017 season is awfully silly imo.

Dismissing his minor league track record is literally more than 10x sillier when projecting his value next year. I would be fine with him in a platoon but if you're trying to be serious about winning, you'd be a fool not to keep trying to improve that roster spot, which they are clearly doing.

Sometimes players improve. Aguilar sandwiched 2 monster winter league seasons around his strong MLB season.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Phillips has options. Broxton does not. Opportunity for Phillips to play everyday at AAA and options might be deciding factor. Only one of two make team out of Arizona.

keon broxton entered the 2017 season with one minor league option remaining. he was optioned in 2017 to colorado springs, but his stay there was brief (only ten days), which preserved his remaining minor league option for 2018.

Great catch, here is Adam McCalvy’s Tweet on the subject.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Great catch, here is Adam McCalvy’s Tweet on the subject.

My mistake. Great news that he does in fact have an option. Stash him in AAA, hope he puts up monster numbers and generates some trade interest that's not there now apparently.

• 3 weeks later...

SP: Anderson, Davies, Chacin, Woodruff, Guerra

RP: Knebel, Hader, Albers, Logan, Barnes, Jeffress, Suter

C: Pina, Vogt (wouldn't surprise me if Bandy steals the backup job from Vogt though)

1B: Thames, Aguilar

2B: Villar, Sogard

SS: Arcia

3B: Shaw

OF: Santana, Cain, Yelich, Braun

UTIL: Perez

Hard to see Phillips or Broxton making the team unless one of Perez/Santana/Aguilar is traded. Anyone with options better pack their bags for Colorado Springs if they're on the bubble.

Absolutely no way they keep those 4 guys in the outfield to save a spot for Aguilar at 1b. His spot isn't even guaranteed if they trade Santana, as they will want to give Phillips a lot of starts in RF.

I doubt Aguilar is even ahead of Perez as a priority.

Unless something drastic happens, I don’t see how Phillips starts the year In the majors. Even with that, Aguilars spot is in Jeopardy with Brain possibly being the 1B RHB making Aguilar redundant. Add the possibility of signing Walker to increase the roster crunch and 1B capable players, I hope at least a prospect can be Gotten in return for Aguilar

I would be surprised to see the Brewers break camp with 13 hitters. I think they will go with 8 relievers. Meaning Broxton/Phillips will likely be optioned and Aguilar will be traded. Unless Santana or Thames gets traded or the Brewers decide they only need 4 SP to start the season (I have not checked to see how many off days they have), I don't see it happening any other way.

Absolutely no way they keep those 4 guys in the outfield to save a spot for Aguilar at 1b. His spot isn't even guaranteed if they trade Santana, as they will want to give Phillips a lot of starts in RF.

Unless something drastic happens, I don’t see how Phillips starts the year In the majors. Even with that, Aguilars spot is in Jeopardy with Brain possibly being the 1B RHB making Aguilar redundant. Add the possibility of signing Walker to increase the roster crunch and 1B capable players, I hope at least a prospect can be Gotten in return for Aguilar

Define "drastic"? I understand that Phillips will be in AAA if they don't trade an outfielder. However, I'm pretty confident they're trying very hard to get a fair deal for Santana, and it wouldn't be at all surprising if they succeed. I wouldn't call it drastic.

What I'm saying is that Phillips will get the most starts in RF if Santana is traded, meaning Braun will have to get many of his starts at 1b and there's still no room for Aguilar even after trading an outfielder. This was in response to a post that had Thames, Aguilar, Braun, Santana, Yelich, and Cain at 1b/OF. It's not the fact that Phillips isn't in there that I find unbelievable, it's that Aguilar is.

I would be surprised to see the Brewers break camp with 13 hitters. I think they will go with 8 relievers. Meaning Broxton/Phillips will likely be optioned and Aguilar will be traded. Unless Santana or Thames gets traded or the Brewers decide they only need 4 SP to start the season (I have not checked to see how many off days they have), I don't see it happening any other way.

I agree about the 13 pitchers. You can do that when you have this much versatility in the lineup. The early-season schedule is a valid point though. Checking it now...

Yeah, the thing with 4 starters and 8 relievers is not happening. 29 games in 31 days from 4/2 through 5/2. 13 pitchers is the way to go IMO.

I agree about the 13 pitchers. You can do that when you have this much versatility in the lineup. The early-season schedule is a valid point though. Checking it now...

Yeah, the thing with 4 starters and 8 relievers is not happening. 29 games in 31 days from 4/2 through 5/2. 13 pitchers is the way to go IMO.

As the roster stands now, absolutely. I thought there was a chance we'd go 12 pitchers if we made 2 SP additions, but that doesn't seem realistic at this point. Even adding 1 guy, I still think we'd want 13 considering Woodruff is less established and we have the flexibility.

Define "drastic"? I understand that Phillips will be in AAA if they don't trade an outfielder. However, I'm pretty confident they're trying very hard to get a fair deal for Santana, and it wouldn't be at all surprising if they succeed. I wouldn't call it drastic.

What I'm saying is that Phillips will get the most starts in RF if Santana is traded, meaning Braun will have to get many of his starts at 1b and there's still no room for Aguilar even after trading an outfielder. This was in response to a post that had Thames, Aguilar, Braun, Santana, Yelich, and Cain at 1b/OF. It's not the fact that Phillips isn't in there that I find unbelievable, it's that Aguilar is.

If Santana is traded, I’d be tempted to start Phillips in the minors to start the year anyway. Platoon Thames/Aguilar at 1B, start Braun in RF. Not as a slight to Phillips, but to gain a year of team control.

If Santana is traded I think it would be a rather poor decision to keep Phillips in the minors when trying to compete, weakens the bench and they are back to playing Perez a bunch in right. Phillips would have to be in the minors 2 months+ to gain a year of control as well.

If Santana is traded I think it would be a rather poor decision to keep Phillips in the minors when trying to compete, weakens the bench and they are back to playing Perez a bunch in right. Phillips would have to be in the minors 2 months+ to gain a year of control as well.

I agree. It's clever in theory but there are two main reasons I would hate to see it.

One is obviously team need and fit, as you said. Assuming they trade Santana, they could use an LHB outfielder who can play great defense and be a decent base-runner, fitting the team's identity. Braun is a bigger asset at 1b than in RF if he can handle the position.

The second one is not so obvious, but I don't like wasting a guy's physical prime in the minors at all if he's ready to graduate. I see no need to worry about team control except for precocious prospects. Phillips is not the caliber of prospect that you really need to keep in arbitration until he's 30. Get him acclimated so his experience peak can overlap his physical peak for a few years. That's especially true with all the PED testing now, because you need to make sure you take advantage of a guy's best years and that means younger than it meant 10-15 years ago.

Phillips would fit better at the MLB level if both santana and Thames were traded. If Braun played 1B vs LHP and RF vs RHP then Phillips would play largely in RF vs LHP.

I think you have some stuff backwards here? If they trade Thames, it's only because they think Braun can handle most of the starts at 1b against LHP's and RHP's. Phillips should start against RHP's if Santana is gone. Perez can start in RF against LHP's most of the time. No reason to bat Phillips against LHP's.

I think it's likely that Thames and Braun roughly split starts at 1b if everyone is healthy, but I could easily see Braun getting 100+ starts there if he's healthy and effective. Either way, having one of them on the bench to pinch-hit and play a few innings is going to be valuable and I don't see either of them getting much time in the outfield unless someone gets hurt. Perez isn't good, but for the sake of roster construction they're better off with him as the reserve outfield against LHP's.

Thames on roster = him starting vsRHP and Braun at RF vs RHP (then Phillips in RF against mostly LHP)

Thames not on Roster=Braun starting at 1B vs RHP, thus Phillips being able to start vs RHP in RF.

But you had Phillips in RF against LHP's and Braun in RF against RHP's, with Santana and Thames both traded. Read your original post again.

Yeah that would’ve been with Thames in the roster. Basically, rotating 2 positions between Braun/Thames/Phillips means Phillips plays mostly against LHP because you’d want both the others vs righties. I’m not sure that’s the best

Yeah that would’ve been with Thames in the roster. Basically, rotating 2 positions between Braun/Thames/Phillips means Phillips plays mostly against LHP because you’d want both the others vs righties. I’m not sure that’s the best

You'd have someone like Broxton getting a decent amount of ABs vs. the LHP or some cheap FA or Perez. Depending on Phillips' defense or ability to hit against LHP, maybe he'll eventually see a lot of LHP, but for now, they'll have someone to take some LHP ABs away from him.

You'd have someone like Broxton getting a decent amount of ABs vs. the LHP or some cheap FA or Perez. Depending on Phillips' defense or ability to hit against LHP, maybe he'll eventually see a lot of LHP, but for now, they'll have someone to take some LHP ABs away from him.

Agreed that if Santana is traded, there’d be a righty to essentially platoon with Thames. But with Thames, Braun, and maybe Aguilar on the roster yet, where does Phillips fit on the 25 man roster? And when does he get to a play?

Archived