Brewer Fanatic

2018 Brewers 25 Man Roster [Latest: Starting rotation set, post #445]

BrewCrewBlueDevil
If we don't want to dump Aguilar, is it possible to option Perez?

It hasn't really been talked about but I don't know why they wouldn't at least consider it. Perez' big asset has always been his versatility and with the new roster construction he's just really not that valuable to us anymore. We don't need him to play OF and the left side of the infield is solidified with Shaw and Arcia. Villar is going to get most of the starts at 2nd and when any of these 3 are off you already have Sogard to back up.

I'd rather see Sogard in AAA really but since that can't happen I don't see why we need them both. They could keep that roster spot for Aguilar or the 8th reliever and they would still have Perez for depth a call away if injuries happened.

Perez is out of options.

Well, so much for that idea. Thanks.

• Replies 671
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If we don't want to dump Aguilar, is it possible to option Perez?

It hasn't really been talked about but I don't know why they wouldn't at least consider it. Perez' big asset has always been his versatility and with the new roster construction he's just really not that valuable to us anymore. We don't need him to play OF and the left side of the infield is solidified with Shaw and Arcia. Villar is going to get most of the starts at 2nd and when any of these 3 are off you already have Sogard to back up.

I'd rather see Sogard in AAA really but since that can't happen I don't see why we need them both. They could keep that roster spot for Aguilar or the 8th reliever and they would still have Perez for depth a call away if injuries happened.

Perez is out of options.

Well, so much for that idea. Thanks.

Would Perez sneak by the waivers? I know he's versatile but it's not like he sets the world on fire with the bat. I just wish they wouldn't have signed Sogard and none of this is probably an issue.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Would Perez sneak by the waivers? I know he's versatile but it's not like he sets the world on fire with the bat. I just wish they wouldn't have signed Sogard and none of this is probably an issue.

I would imagine Sogard's chance of sneaking through on waivers is likely better than Perez's. Perez offers more upside with the bat and more positional flexibility, plus he's younger and cheaper.

I would imagine Sogard's chance of sneaking through on waivers is likely better than Perez's. Perez offers more upside with the bat and more positional flexibility, plus he's younger and cheaper.

I would agree but the trouble with that is that Sogard has more than 5 years service time. So even if he cleared waivers he could refuse to accept the minor league assignment.

I would agree but the trouble with that is that Sogard has more than 5 years service time. So even if he cleared waivers he could refuse to accept the minor league assignment.

That honestly wouldn't be the worst thing, either. Sure, I'd hate throwing that money down the drain, but there isn't much that Sogard is going to offer that Perez, or even Orf or Dubon, don't.

Alright, so serious questions here...

Why do people keep saying that Keon Broxton is deserving to be on the roster and that he 'broke out' in 2017? The dude struck out 175 times in 414 at-bats, couldn't post a .300 OBP and batted .220. The dude doesn't even deserve to be in the major leagues, much less in the most stacked outfield baseball has. He's also pretty much 28 and isn't going to get any better.

I'd trade Broxton immediately to one of the teams that believe the illusion that he can actually play baseball.

Why do people keep saying that Keon Broxton is deserving to be on the roster and that he 'broke out' in 2017?

Tex, I may have missed it, but I haven't seen anyone saying Broxton should be on the roster?

Mostly I've seen this on various Brewers articles I've read at the start of the year, listing Broxton as one of the unfortunate casualties of a highly stacked outfield. Broxton never at any point deserved to be part of the conversation. The only person that got screwed in the whole Cain-Yelich acquisitions was Brett Phillips.

Mostly I've seen this on various Brewers articles I've read at the start of the year, listing Broxton as one of the unfortunate casualties of a highly stacked outfield. Broxton never at any point deserved to be part of the conversation. The only person that got screwed in the whole Cain-Yelich acquisitions was Brett Phillips.

I'm not a big Broxton fan because it is so nice to be moving in a different direction from the type of hitter he is but he is for sure deserving to be in the majors on some team. I'm glad that we have him for depth but he has the talent and has produced enough to be in the majors. Hard to argue that point.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Why do people keep saying that Keon Broxton is deserving to be on the roster and that he 'broke out' in 2017? The dude struck out 175 times in 414 at-bats, couldn't post a .300 OBP and batted .220. The dude doesn't even deserve to be in the major leagues, much less in the most stacked outfield baseball has. He's also pretty much 28 and isn't going to get any better.

I'd trade Broxton immediately to one of the teams that believe the illusion that he can actually play baseball.

I hadn't seen anyone mention Broxton in probably 10 pages up until you did. I have no idea what you are referring to. I can't find a single instance of someone saying he 'broke out' in 2017 much less anyone that 'keeps saying' it.

Everyone here was well aware after the Yelich and Cain acquisitions that Broxton wasn't going to crack the 25.

Seems like you just wanted to rip on Broxton. I'd disagree totally that he doesn't deserve to be on an MLB roster. I'd agree totally that he doesn't deserve to be on this one.

I'm not a big Broxton fan because it is so nice to be moving in a different direction from the type of hitter he is but he is for sure deserving to be in the majors on some team. I'm glad that we have him for depth but he has the talent and has produced enough to be in the majors. Hard to argue that point.

How is striking out nearly half your at-bats with a .299 OBP and average defense at the easiest position to find talent producing?

I hadn't seen anyone mention Broxton in probably 10 pages up until you did. I have no idea what you are referring to. I can't find a single instance of someone saying he 'broke out' in 2017 much less anyone that 'keeps saying' it.

Everyone here was well aware after the Yelich and Cain acquisitions that Broxton wasn't going to crack the 25.

Seems like you just wanted to rip on Broxton.

I'm reacting to articles I read, not on this thread.

How is striking out nearly half your at-bats with a .299 OBP and average defense at the easiest position to find talent producing?

I get that you don't like Broxton but you are really embellishing to bring him down. He strikes out way too much but 37.2% isn't "nearly half."

For his career he's well above average defensively. And how is CF the easiest position to find talent?

You're right, he does not get on base enough and strikes out too much. I'm not sure anyone on the boards has said different of that but he does provide you good defense in the outfield, hits for power and steals bags when he gets on. That is serviceable in the majors. Go look at other teams 4th and 5th outfielders and then see if that changes your opinion about whether or not that he is a major league player. Might not be a good one but his skills are one.

The point is, Broxton's strikeout rate is completely contradictory to the new approach of avoiding strikeouts. We've set Major League single-season team strikeout records in each of the last two years, largely because we keep guys like Broxton around. Broxton has trade value as some other teams would be drawn to a guy that was one of nine 20-20 players in 2017. Why are we keeping him around when he's the 6th best outfielder in our organization? We could get something for him, rather than holding on to a player that isn't really a prospect anymore and isn't going to play with all the talent above him in the majors and Brett Phillips coming off a productive season.

Yeah, Perez is a player that can help a team. He's not someone to build around, but he's valuable to have on the roster.

Personally, I'm okay with Perez. He is what he is. I don't want him getting a ton of ABs, but he's an adequate at several positions if needed. There's some solid value in a guy like him.

I've talked about this in the past - as have others - one of the biggest issues the Brewers have run into is inadequate depth. In the past, we've devoted far too much playing time to players like Yuni, Cesar Izturis, Elian Herrera, Hector Gomez, Jeff Bianchi, Cody Ransom, etc., etc.

A guy like Perez really helps a team avoid those black holes - even if he isn't that great.

On Keon, I really had high hopes for him coming into 2017 because he was so good in the second half of 2016 after the stance change. The thinking among many was that if he could perform the same defensively as in 2016 and cut his K rate even to 30% or so, he had a chance to be a very special player.

Unfortunately that just didn't happen, and it may never happen. There's no more room or time for him here unless there's an injury or two. He'd be a good fit for a team with no true CF option that is still a year or two away.

But they clearly prefer him to AAA depth rather than just giving him away, and that's the correct approach.

On Keon, I really had high hopes for him coming into 2017 because he was so good in the second half of 2016 after the stance change. The thinking among many was that if he could perform the same defensively as in 2016 and cut his K rate even to 30% or so, he had a chance to be a very special player.

Unfortunately that just didn't happen, and it may never happen. There's no more room or time for him here unless there's an injury or two. He'd be a good fit for a team with no true CF option that is still a year or two away.

But they clearly prefer him to AAA depth rather than just giving him away, and that's the correct approach.

This is basically what I'm saying. If anyone is injured in our outfield, Phillips is going to be the guy to come up. So why not trade him while teams still think he has a chance to become the player some thought he would be last year? We have three, maybe four, outfielders right now that are capable of making the All Star team. We have a fifth that hit well in the bigs last year and is one of the best outfield prospects in baseball. It just doesn't make sense to keep someone that would happier elsewhere and might be able to bring us an arm or infield depth.

This can't be understated. It seemingly becoming a staple to the approach of Stearns. He won't just give away talent because there is excess at a specific position.

It just doesn't make sense to keep someone that would happier elsewhere and might be able to bring us an arm or infield depth.
This is speculation. I went through this yesterday. We have a lot of posters that can't wrap their minds around trades that might not actually exist. If there were trades that were out there that Stearns felt would benefit our organization, do you not think he would pull the trigger on them?

This is speculation. I went through this yesterday. We have a lot of posters that can't wrap their minds around trades that might not actually exist. If there were trades that were out there that Stearns felt would benefit our organization, do you not think he would pull the trigger on them?

Perhaps there are trades out there, but he isn't pulling the trigger for whatever reason. Speculating about the lack of player moves is still speculation. Who knows what the motivation factor is to hanging on to Broxton as basically a 4th-string CF?

Also, I am one of those "posters" you speak of, and again don't appreciate the condescension. I sure as heck can wrap my mind around a trade not existing. That doesn't mean I agree with that thought, though.

Perhaps there are trades out there, but he isn't pulling the trigger for whatever reason. Speculating about the lack of player moves is still speculation. Who knows what the motivation factor is to hanging on to Broxton as basically a 4th-string CF?

Also, I am one of those "posters" you speak of, and again don't appreciate the condescension. I sure as heck can wrap my mind around a trade not existing. That doesn't mean I agree with that thought, though.

Too sensitive. Sorry, you feel that way but it sure as heck isn't condescending and it never was written to be that way. It's just a realization of where we are right now on our roster. We have an influx of players at certain positions. We haven't traded away those players because the trades aren't right. You may not like it, but that is where we are.

Too sensitive. Sorry, you feel that way but it sure as heck isn't condescending and it never was written to be that way. It's just a realization of where we are right now on our roster. We have an influx of players at certain positions. We haven't traded away those players because the trades aren't right. You may not like it, but that is where we are.

You are right about me not liking it, but expecting me to just accept it as "the way it is" is off base, in my opinion. As fans we have every right to question and even criticize the decisions the front office makes, or in this case, doesn't make.

But to call out speculation with more speculation is planting you firmly on the living room couch of a glass house.

The point is, Broxton's strikeout rate is completely contradictory to the new approach of avoiding strikeouts. We've set Major League single-season team strikeout records in each of the last two years, largely because we keep guys like Broxton around. Broxton has trade value as some other teams would be drawn to a guy that was one of nine 20-20 players in 2017. Why are we keeping him around when he's the 6th best outfielder in our organization? We could get something for him, rather than holding on to a player that isn't really a prospect anymore and isn't going to play with all the talent above him in the majors and Brett Phillips coming off a productive season.

Honestly, sounds like you're debating with a strawman. Everyone since your initial post has agreed with you. But as you're ripping him down, you claim some other teams want to trade for him. Why would they if he's as bad as you say he is? Also, what is exactly the harm in keeping him around?

You aren't going to get any argument from me here. Broxton and Santana are both in the same boat = caught in positional logjams, as players whose profiles indicate they are the types the team is trying to get away from. If it were up to me, they would trade Broxton, Santana and Aguilar. But for whatever reason, deals haven't been made yet. With Broxton is doesn't bother me as much, as he isn't currently affecting the ML squad. Having Santana and Aguilar on the ML roster, though, screws with depth and creates playing time issues that have already cropped up a little, but will only get more pronounced if the situation isn't sorted out. I'm sure they will eventually have injuries or make player moves to rectify the problem, but that doesn't stop me from being frustrated with the roster's current make-up.

Honestly, sounds like you're debating with a strawman. Everyone since your initial post has agreed with you. But as you're ripping him down, you claim some other teams want to trade for him. Why would they if he's as bad as you say he is? Also, what is exactly the harm in keeping him around?

There's no real reason to keep him around. Once again, just because I don't personally see him as a valuable player, doesn't mean I don't acknowledge that some teams might want him. He has trade value, but he doesn't have a place on a playoff contending team. As for the strawman statement, once again, I was initially responding to having right a couple of articles recently that pegged him as an above-average talent, which he isn't in my opinion.

Like most Brewers fans, I'm really just getting annoyed that we haven't been able to find the right deal to solve some of our problems. Having an abundance of talent is great, but not when you're weak in other areas. Stearns has had months to find a deal that would fix this problem, but is holding on to guys that could be used as trade chips that we really don't need (Broxton).

Archived