Brewer Fanatic

2018 Brewers 25 Man Roster [Latest: Starting rotation set, post #445]

BrewCrewBlueDevil
  • Replies 671
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anyone want to set odds that Drake is used in a key situation sometime in the first couple games? In more than his weird reverse-split LOOGY role? I'd say 2:1.

Counsel cant help himself. Drake will appear in San Diego and give up a key run. No question!

Anyone want to set odds that Drake is used in a key situation sometime in the first couple games? In more than his weird reverse-split LOOGY role? I'd say 2:1.

Counsel cant help himself. Drake will appear in San Diego and give up a key run. No question!

He’ll probably get put in against Homser before Hader in a key spot in a game.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I'm guessing when Woody gets moved into the rotation, Choi is optioned and Williams or Hoover joins to pen.

We're going with the name 'Woody', we're sure?

Maybe Ruffy would be better?

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Per Adam McCalvy- Depth. Depth, depth, depth. In each of the past two seasons, they have employed 50 players. The Opening Day roster is not permanent. Setting an Opening Day roster is not picking the 25 best guys.

Something to keep in mind.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I mentioned weeks ago that even though we still eventually be a13 pitcher team, there was no reason to keep that many opening day. I love what Stearns did. Extra pinch hitters for opening day, and then re-evauate.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

[quoteWhen baseball cards were a bigger deal, 10- and 11-man pitching staffs were the norm. We're going with an early '90s-style roster!

For references' sake, here's the Brewers' 1982 World Series Roster:

Pitchers (10): Bernard, Caldwell, Easterly, Haas, Ladd, McClure, Medich, Slaton, Sutton, Vuckovich

Catchers (2): Simmons, Yost

Infielders (7): Cooper, Gantner, Howell, Molitor, Money, Picciolo, Romero

Outfielders (5): Brouhard, Edwards, Moore, Oglivie, Thomas]

Not trying to be the jerk here, but I think you might've missed the shortstop !! :)

[quoteWhen baseball cards were a bigger deal, 10- and 11-man pitching staffs were the norm. We're going with an early '90s-style roster!

For references' sake, here's the Brewers' 1982 World Series Roster:

Pitchers (10): Bernard, Caldwell, Easterly, Haas, Ladd, McClure, Medich, Slaton, Sutton, Vuckovich

Catchers (2): Simmons, Yost

Infielders (7): Cooper, Gantner, Howell, Molitor, Money, Picciolo, Romero

Outfielders (5): Brouhard, Edwards, Moore, Oglivie, Thomas]

Not trying to be the jerk here, but I think you might've missed the shortstop !! :)

Yup. I was on the phone w/ my brother by the time I was typing the last 2 lines of the post. I knew something didn't look quite right there.

Infielders (7): Cooper, Gantner, Howell, Molitor, Money, Romero, Yount

I would have kept Williams as well obviously .. but does Drake not have an option left? Are they doing this simply to keep both guys?

Yes, it really is as simple as that. Same thing with Hoover; he can be stashed in AAA until he's needed. They'll likely be #1 and #2 when Choi is optioned and Aguilar traded/DFAd. Yet the decision to consider things like 40-man roster spots and maintaing depth when deciding on the 7th/8th bullpen slots has people puking over the decision. Quite amusing really.

As for the whole 14 position player thing: Again, why not? If you don't have to DFA Aguilar right now, don't do it. If there's a bigger chance of working out some kind of trade, or bigger chance of him clearing waivers, a week from now then that's what you do. It also means that the pinch hitting options for the first series at least will be Santana/Thames, Aguilar and Choi. That's pretty damn good.

It's just the opening day roster. It's symbolic, and will change. A lot. 50 players used last year. Then consider that evenly distributed, there were ~22 replacement level (or above) players per team in the MLB last year. Of course you try to keep as many of those guys as you can. It's incredibly short-sighted to just look at the opening day roster. Williams will see plenty of time in the majors this year. So will Hardy. Probably Choi too.

Besides all that, Drake somehow became the scapegoat for pretty much everything last year. He's better than the general consensus of him is on here. But this isn't really the place for that debate, and I doubt I can chage anyone's mind on that.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I would have kept Williams as well obviously .. but does Drake not have an option left? Are they doing this simply to keep both guys?

Yes, it really is as simple as that. Same thing with Hoover; he can be stashed in AAA until he's needed. They'll likely be #1 and #2 when Choi is optioned and Aguilar traded/DFAd. Yet the decision to consider things like 40-man roster spots and maintaing depth when deciding on the 7th/8th bullpen slots has people puking over the decision. Quite amusing really.

As for the whole 14 position player thing: Again, why not? If you don't have to DFA Aguilar right now, don't do it. If there's a bigger chance of working out some kind of trade, or bigger chance of him clearing waivers, a week from now then that's what you do. It also means that the pinch hitting options for the first series at least will be Santana/Thames, Aguilar and Choi. That's pretty damn good.

It's just the opening day roster. It's symbolic, and will change. A lot. 50 players used last year. Then consider that evenly distributed, there were ~22 replacement level (or above) players per team in the MLB last year. Of course you try to keep as many of those guys as you can. It's incredibly short-sighted to just look at the opening day roster. Williams will see plenty of time in the majors this year. So will Hardy. Probably Choi too.

Besides all that, Drake somehow became the scapegoat for pretty much everything last year. He's better than the general consensus of him is on here. But this isn't really the place for that debate, and I doubt I can chage anyone's mind on that.

I do understand several of your points, but it is difficult to cut through the thick condescension to do so.

Could Thames or Aguilar have a minor injury they are considering 10-day DL’ing one of them to start the year, that’s why Choi is with the team?

I doubt it, I think Thames was dealing with something minor but I don't think that's it. There's an outside chance we are working a bigger trade, but it's far more likely we are trying to get something for one of these guys or will simply cut one within the next 19 hours or so. There's 0 chance we will have Braun, Thames, Aguilar, and Choi on the 25 man roster tomorrow.

Well this post aged well...

Drake...ugh. Why? It's getting difficult to embrace the decisions the brewers are making. Depth and quality depth are 2 different things. Drake is barely even depth...he certainly isn't quality depth. I really hope he only costs us 2 or 3 games before we cut him...

Could Thames or Aguilar have a minor injury they are considering 10-day DL’ing one of them to start the year, that’s why Choi is with the team?

I doubt it, I think Thames was dealing with something minor but I don't think that's it. There's an outside chance we are working a bigger trade, but it's far more likely we are trying to get something for one of these guys or will simply cut one within the next 19 hours or so. There's 0 chance we will have Braun, Thames, Aguilar, and Choi on the 25 man roster tomorrow.

Well this post aged well...

LOL, that is awesome. Although it is probably technically correct if you change "tomorrow" to "by the home opener".

Drake...ugh. Why? It's getting difficult to embrace the decisions the brewers are making. Depth and quality depth are 2 different things. Drake is barely even depth...he certainly isn't quality depth. I really hope he only costs us 2 or 3 games before we cut him...

Remember they will have to clear a 40-man spot for Jennings at some point, and he profiles in the exact role that Drake would fill on this roster. Swapping out Drake for Jennings makes the most logical sense. But given this team's odd roster-building tendencies, I could see them doing something different to fit Jennings on the squad.

Some surprises on the opening day roster, but I think we can all take solace in the fact that none of these moves will turn out as disastrous and senseless as cutting Scooter Gennet to keep Kirk freaking Nieuwenhuis.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Good post. I wanted more youth on the 25, but I can't complain about stashing them for depth. That's a pretty important variable to consider, and I'm sure they young guys will get plenty of chances.

I don't care about the symbolic importance of the opening day roster any more than you do. This is no different than optioning a pitcher or two to AAA for a 3-game series between two off days in an AL park in the middle of June; it's probably just the anticipation of opening day that causes people to make a bigger deal out of it than it is. It makes perfect sense to keep as many dangerous PH's as possible for the San Diego series. Aguilar and Choi won't last long at all. They don't have frequent off days after the next series gets underway.

Drake would have been fine as a LOOGY. I like how his K rate projects to a lower e.r.a. Jennings is fine too and deserves the roster spot because he can face RHB's a little more, but I would not have had any problem keeping Drake at least until Boone returns.

ETA: Hardy??

They got through 12 innings using 5 relievers. I would think they can live with a 12 man staff with more off days built into the schedule. Eventually, Aguilar or one of the extra infielders may have to go to add an arm through a tough stretch if there's no DL option, but with Choi and Franklin in the system, they can be replaced without much if any drop off.

They got through 12 innings using 5 relievers. I would think they can live with a 12 man staff with more off days built into the schedule. Eventually, Aguilar or one of the extra infielders may have to go to add an arm through a tough stretch if there's no DL option, but with Choi and Franklin in the system, they can be replaced without much if any drop off.

I don't think the first game of the year is a good indication of what kind of pitching depth they'll need, but the quality depth of the pen is a factor. However, guys like Woodruff and Suter will probably have de facto innings limits and you don't get to play against teams like San Diego or in a park like PETCO every day. They play 29 games in 31 days after Sunday and it's going to be hard to keep that 13th hitter for much of the year. I just can't see Aguilar sticking around long. They will vacillate between 12 and 13 pitchers a lot, and that requires guys with options.

Villar or Perez could go, too, but I don't expect it. Not with Choi having options. Don't forget Dubon, who I think would be adequate to replace Perez or Sogard without much drop-off. However, like Gomez and Segura before him, Perez still has more potential if he learns just a little more patience (big if, I know), and Sogard is basically Dubon with experience and coming off a career year.

If we don't want to dump Aguilar, is it possible to option Perez?

It hasn't really been talked about but I don't know why they wouldn't at least consider it. Perez' big asset has always been his versatility and with the new roster construction he's just really not that valuable to us anymore. We don't need him to play OF and the left side of the infield is solidified with Shaw and Arcia. Villar is going to get most of the starts at 2nd and when any of these 3 are off you already have Sogard to back up.

I'd rather see Sogard in AAA really but since that can't happen I don't see why we need them both. They could keep that roster spot for Aguilar or the 8th reliever and they would still have Perez for depth a call away if injuries happened.

If we don't want to dump Aguilar, is it possible to option Perez?

It hasn't really been talked about but I don't know why they wouldn't at least consider it. Perez' big asset has always been his versatility and with the new roster construction he's just really not that valuable to us anymore. We don't need him to play OF and the left side of the infield is solidified with Shaw and Arcia. Villar is going to get most of the starts at 2nd and when any of these 3 are off you already have Sogard to back up.

I'd rather see Sogard in AAA really but since that can't happen I don't see why we need them both. They could keep that roster spot for Aguilar or the 8th reliever and they would still have Perez for depth a call away if injuries happened.

Perez is out of options.

Archived