Brewer Fanatic

2018 Brewers 25 Man Roster [Latest: Starting rotation set, post #445]

BrewCrewBlueDevil
  • Replies 671
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For the record, it turns out Aguilar was traded in January to the Venezuelan Winter League version of the Tigers, the Aragua Tigers.

Now that’s funny right there. All the “leads” and “inside sources” of this off-season. Comical stuff I tell ya.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
@Haudricourt

Follow Follow @Haudricourt

More

Stearns on likelihood of external pitching move: "We're continuing to explore it... I do think we're gaining some traction in that area. I don't know if we'll get anything done but we'll see where it leads."

That's interesting

Incredibly interesting.

My guess is they are trying to sign someone like Daniel Hudson or Dan Jennings.

So we're keeping Drake over Hoover... WOW

I really hope that external pitching move is a bullpen guy to replace Drake.

Bullpen guy would likely replace Choi or one of the other 18 first basemen on the team. The way the roster is constructed currently, they are probably two relievers short.

@Haudricourt

More

Stearns on likelihood of external pitching move: "We're continuing to explore it... I do think we're gaining some traction in that area. I don't know if we'll get anything done but we'll see where it leads."

That's interesting

Incredibly interesting.

That quote made it seem more like a trade. A guy who just got released really wouldn't need "traction" would they? This sounds like a longer play than waiver wire fodder.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

@Haudricourt

More

That's interesting

Incredibly interesting.

Agreed, I'm gonna guess adding Jennings.

Knebel

Hader

Albers

Jennings

Jeffress

Barnes

Woodruff (until he moves into rotation)

Sounds like Choi's stay will be short lived

TH tweet

Stearns on keeping Choi: "Ji-Man understands his roster situation. He's very excited to be on the team on opening day. Like any player with options, he understands there is flexibility to go up and down."

Hoover didn't give up a run all spring and looked dynamite.

Keeping Drake over him makes me want to puke. Head scratcher is probably an understatement.

Hilarious that we are keeping 3 true first basemen and Braun is starting opening day over them. Whodathunkit?!!
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Keeping Drake and having Hoover at AAA leaves them deeper and with more options that if Hoover is in MIL and and Drake is cut loose.

I'm not advocating for Drake, but this is obviously about preserving depth. If Hoover keeps pitching lights-out in CS, then he'll inevitably earn his way back to MIL.

In the meantime, Ariel Pena made the Opening Day roster 2 years ago and was gone by the season's 3rd day. None of this is permanent.

Hilarious that we are keeping 3 true first basemen and Braun is starting opening day over them. Whodathunkit?!!

I would choose a different word for my description. Stearns managed to take an already odd roster construction and make it worse. I know the roster is likely to change within the next week, but it seems we have the only GM in the majors who still values corner outfielders and first basemen. He's collecting them like baseball cards.

Where did you see Hoover didn't make it?

25 man roster is on Twitter.

Where did you see Hoover didn't make it?

On the Brewers' official Twitter feed:

I would choose a different word for my description. Stearns managed to take an already odd roster construction and make it worse. I know the roster is likely to change within the next week, but it seems we have the only GM in the majors who still values corner outfielders and first basemen. He's collecting them like baseball cards.

When baseball cards were a bigger deal, 10- and 11-man pitching staffs were the norm. We're going with an early '90s-style roster!

For references' sake, here's the Brewers' 1982 World Series Roster:

Pitchers (10): Bernard, Caldwell, Easterly, Haas, Ladd, McClure, Medich, Slaton, Sutton, Vuckovich

Catchers (2): Simmons, Yost

Infielders (7): Cooper, Gantner, Howell, Molitor, Money, Romero, Yount

Outfielders (5): Brouhard, Edwards, Moore, Oglivie, Thomas

EDIT: Fixed the dumb mistake caused by multi-tasking (typing while talking w/ my brother) -- Picciolo on the roster, Yount not. Duh. Got stuck on the backups when I mistakenly hadn't finished off the starters.

When baseball cards were a bigger deal, 10- and 11-man pitching staffs were the norm. We're going with an early '90s-style roster!

Maybe Stearns is banking on the NL adopting the DH quicker than we all think? He's four-deep at that position!

It took us about 3 seconds into the off-season to send Carlos Torres packing. Oliver Drake somehow not only hangs around all off-season but makes the opening day roster?

It's a travisty, a sham, a mockery...It's a darn travishamockery!

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Outside the box thinking sometimes works. We’ll see if he’s able to stash more talent by what he’s doing soon enough.

Archived