Brewer Fanatic

2018 Brewers 25 Man Roster [Latest: Starting rotation set, post #445]

BrewCrewBlueDevil
  • Replies 671
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like JJ Hoover will make the team.

Im not surprised, still hasnt been scored on this spring.

Knebel

Hader

Albers

Hoover

Williams

Jeffress

Logan

Gallardo

Barnes optioned to AAA.

Miley had 1 bad outing......relax.

still 2 weeks to go.....let's see how it plays out.

agreed, they don't even nee a 5th starter until the 8th game, I think Suter will be the 4th. Also I would feel pretty confident that one player on the opening day roster isn't in the organization right now. The brewers took a waiver on Miley and he was good minus one outing, lets see how it plays out.

SP: Anderson, Chacin, Davies, Guerra, Suter

RP: Knebel, Hader, Logan, Hoover, Williams, Jeffers, Gallardo/Miley

C: Pina, Bandy

1B: Thames, Braun, Aguilar

2B: Villar

3B: Shaw

SS: Arcia

Utility: Sogard, Perez

OF: Yelich, Cain, Santana

When a #5 is needed, Aguilar goes and Phillips or Wren is added.

Per TomH: #Brewers GM David Stearns said they will open season with Manny Pina and Jett Bandy as catchers, barring an outside move. I've heard they are monitoring the catching market.

Could be our weakest spot going into the season. Hopefully Pina does not get hurt and produces.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Anderson Chacin Miley Davies

Knebel hader albers logan jeffress hoover yo suter

Pina bandy

Thames braun aguilar

Villar

Arcia

Shaw

Sogard perez

Yelich Cain Santana

To open. Guerra Barnes Broxton all stashed. Woodruff Nelson Burnes Williams Peralta Phillips looking towards June.

5th starter #1) Guerra. Aguilar cut or traded.

Let's just say I'm excited for 2019 when stashing woodruff williams barnes won't be a thing and Nelson will be healthy. Stashing Burnes Peralta Houser Dubon next year will be frustrating enough. We could be very very deep from the jump.

Per TomH: #Brewers GM David Stearns said they will open season with Manny Pina and Jett Bandy as catchers, barring an outside move. I've heard they are monitoring the catching market.

Could be our weakest spot going into the season. Hopefully Pina does not get hurt and produces.

I'm at least encouraged by having Bathencourt, and a Nottingham that appears to be getting closer. It's all on Pina but it could be worse... depths at least interesting.

Did not realize Hoover doesn’t have an opt out. Adding that Guerra has an option and the desire to keep Aguilar, I wonder if the 8th spot in the bullpen will be a spot starter and otherwise used only in case of emergency. Then a couple bullpen spots are for guys that go back and forth between Milwaukee and Colorado Springs based on amount of use. If over a few weeks a guy logs too many appearances, the Brewers option him for some rest and bring up a fresh arm. If a Long RP/SP gets used and can’t start, keep pitching him in relief and option a periodic RP and bring up a long RP/SP guy to make the next start. But it requires that the high leverage guys only pitch in high leverage situations. Maybe it looks like this to start:

SP: Anderson, Davies, Chacin, Miley (have to keep him in MKE)

High Leverage RP: Knebel, Albers, Jeffress, Logan, Hader

Long RP/SP: Suter

Periodic RP: Gallardo, Drake (no options left)

Long RP/SPs in waiting: Guerra, Woodruff, Wilkerson

Periodic RPs in waiting: Williams (on the 40), Barnes (on the 40), Hoover, Liz, Brady, Webb (on the 40 but apparently not favored), Houser (on the 40 but still ramping up)

60 Day DL: Nelson (to make room for Miley)

It’s not the best 25 one could put on the field in San Diego on opening day, but it utilizes assets over the course of the year. Guys will get injured or tired, so a Drake, while not pitching nearly as well as Williams, still may have value. Those injuries will certainly allow the better relievers to get plenty of innings with the big club. And they can always DFA guys later. The guys in Colorado Springs that are on the 40 are the first guys brought up with this approach.

If you only have three capable MLB starting pitchers, you should skip the #5 guy as much as possible. It makes sense to start the season with four starters on the 25 man roster, as it would allow us to have an eight-man pen and still keep Aguilar or Broxton on the roster a while longer. Who knows what will happen over that nine-day stretch that may make us glad we have that extra guy.

"Standard" is not a word I would use to describe our roster, so it will be interesting to see how this all works out.

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/chris-archer-has-some-questions-about-the-future-of-pitching/

Here's an article from Fangraphs interviewing Archer about the Rays' plan to start the season with a four-man rotation, using bullpen days as their "#5" to start the season. Could be similar to what the Brewers are thinking.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Why not keep the best 25 guys regardless of options? Guys like Hoover, Miley, Gallardo... really, what are the chances that they get claimed by another team? Cut them, most will not be claimed by another team, and then sign those guys to a minor league deal. I don't want to lose games in April and May trying to get an extra year of control for Woodruff and Williams. Hoover has walked 5.7 and 5.8 per 9 the last two seasons - it is going to take a lot more than a handful of spring training innings to convince me to keep him over Williams.

If they signed a minor league deal to begin with... chances are there isn't much interest out there to have them on the major league club except in case of emergency.

I want to keep the depth because it’s going to take a lot more than 12-13 pitchers to win this year. Whatever combination of vets and younger guys that is I’ll leave up to Stearns/CC/Johnson.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

You put the best 25 on the roster. Period. Guys like Miley and Gallardo are a dime a dozen and will be released by the boatload as players exercise opt outs and get cut loose outright.
but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

You put the best 25 on the roster. Period. Guys like Miley and Gallardo are a dime a dozen and will be released by the boatload as players exercise opt outs and get cut loose outright.

You make it sound like we know Miley is for sure not one of our best 5 starters. I'm not saying he is but I think there is definitely a chance he is.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

You make it sound like we know Miley is for sure not one of our best 5 starters. I'm not saying he is but I think there is definitely a chance he is.

I disagree. He is not, and he's going to prove it very quickly if gifted a rotation spot, in my opinion. Nothing he's done in spring training has changed the idea that he is a pitcher capable of getting outs at times, but is prone to frequent blow-up games. That is not an effective pitcher.

With the games the pen lost early last year I can't understand why anyone wouldn't want Williams in the MLB pen immediately with his late inning caliber arsenal.

Or perhaps some of us, myself included, were spoiled by Hader last year and as a result are expecting too much too soon out of Taylor. I'm willing to admit it's a possibility.

With the games the pen lost early last year I can't understand why anyone wouldn't want Williams in the MLB pen immediately with his late inning caliber arsenal.

Or perhaps some of us, myself included, were spoiled by Hader last year and as a result are expecting too much too soon out of Taylor. I'm willing to admit it's a possibility.

Torn both ways. I don't have much faith in the garbage men who look to claim the final pen spots, but also realize its about attrition and options. Catching lightning in a bottle is the goal. Every added chance ups our odds. Maybe hoover has a great year and Jeffress falls off a cliff. If you start off with Williams Barnes up... you cut hoover when you should have held off until it was clear you should cut Jeffress.

I do think we are a bit spoiled by Hader, but we don't need another Hader, we need guys who are going to best Drake Feliz Torres Scahill Marinez. Knebel Hader Albers do their job and the rest would have to be very bad to not have enough.

You could probably make an argument (not a good one) that Miley is one of the best 5. However, that is more of an indictment on just how bad the back end of the rotation is as much as it is a commentary of Miley's prowess.

I am on the Williams bandwagon big time. I'm not sure his stuff is quite as nasty as Hader but it's close and I think Williams has better command of that stuff. I think he and Hader form a nasty 8th inning R/L combination eventually.

You could probably make an argument (not a good one) that Miley is one of the best 5. However, that is more of an indictment on just how bad the back end of the rotation is as much as it is a commentary of Miley's prowess.

Right. Miley could very possibly be one of our best 5 starting pitchers. That doesn't mean that's a good thing. I would go with Guerra & Suter but I don't think it's that unrealistic to say he's one of our top 5.

As far as the pen I think Williams & Hoover should both be there. Something like Knebal Hader Logan Barnes Jeffress Albers Hoover Williams. Send Guerra or Suter down until a 5th starter is needed and keep Aguilar for the time being.

Right. Miley could very possibly be one of our best 5 starting pitchers. That doesn't mean that's a good thing. I would go with Guerra & Suter but I don't think it's that unrealistic to say he's one of our top 5.

As far as the pen I think Williams & Hoover should both be there. Something like Knebal Hader Logan Barnes Jeffress Albers Hoover Williams. Send Guerra or Suter down until a 5th starter is needed and keep Aguilar for the time being.

I'd take all of Woodruff/Suter/Guerra over Miley right now. I, personally, don't think he is one of the best five. Hopefully I'm wrong.

I agree with Southpaw except think they go with Suter for the bullpen for the first few games and then he becomes the 5th starter on the 6th. Leaning Williams being optioned but could certainly see Williams up and Suter down after Suter's start and then they give Guerra/Miley/Woodruff the next game to start. Barnes will have a shorter leash as well since he is a bullpen guy with options

Archived