Brewer Fanatic

2018 Brewers 25 Man Roster [Latest: Starting rotation set, post #445]

BrewCrewBlueDevil

2016 - 5.42 ERA

2017 - 5.72 ERA

ST18 - 5.40 ERA - 6 runs earned, 9 total.

You are using his statistics as a starter. There’s a decent chance he’s a serviceable reliever that can give you a couple innings at a time. He may not make it on our team but that’s what the Brewers are looking at him for.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

• Replies 671
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2016 - 5.42 ERA

2017 - 5.72 ERA

You are using his statistics as a starter. There’s a decent chance he’s a serviceable reliever that can give you a couple innings at a time. He may not make it on our team but that’s what the Brewers are looking at him for.

Except nothing about what Gallardo throws makes me think he'll play up in relief. 91-92 at best with an above average curve. Would you rather have that guy or the one throwing 96-99 with an above average-plus slider and serviceable change? Best case scenario for Gallardo is he throws high fastballs and keeps guys guessing on whether it's a high fastball or a curve breaking below the zone. Let him do that for a rebuilding club, I'll take the 96-99 guy that's only 27 and hasn't thrown 1700 pro innings already.

I think some might have too high of expectations for Williams. Just a gut feeling. He will do alright but as dominant as Hader might be wishful thinking. Also very doubtful that Suter isn’t in the rotation or a long man just by what Counsell has said previously.

I don't think he will be as dominant as Hader was, but I think in a pen role, something like a 3 ERA and 10 K/9 is realistic, and that's an arm that should be helping us now.

Certainly better than what I would expect from Drake or Yo.

If anyone is trying to say Drake should make this team they should have all their Brewers gear burned. Okay, dramatic but that guy sucks. I get the Yo experiment a bit because he did well in a limited time in the pen a year ago and from the sounds of their coaches, they think there is something there as a long man. If that keeps a guy like Williams down until we find out which pitchers stink this season, I’m okay with that. Not all of our pen guys will work out most likely so it’s grest to have quality to pull up if/when that occurs.

I'm pretty happy with Knebel, Hader, and Albers. Beyond that, I have concerns.

Jeffress maybe could find it again here and I'm hoping he does but we are still talking about a guy who was so bad in Texas last year that he was a DFA candidate and given back to us for basically nothing.

I'm a pretty big believer in a Barnes rebound, but it's not a certainty. He wasn't very good last year.

Hoover is a non roster invitee, Logan is just a LOOGY at best. We know the deal with Drake.

Yo was fine in relief last year, but we're talking extremely small sample. Maybe he'll be ok, but the ceiling isn't high.

I know this is also opinion and there's no right or wrong, I'm just kind of surprised that someone who was as vocal as you were about the first half struggles in the pen and disappointed at the lack of early solution last year would be ok with going with retreads in half the pen and be ok with keeping an arm like Williams down in the name of depth.

2016 - 5.42 ERA

2017 - 5.72 ERA

Except nothing about what Gallardo throws makes me think he'll play up in relief. 91-92 at best with an above average curve. Would you rather have that guy or the one throwing 96-99 with an above average-plus slider and serviceable change? Best case scenario for Gallardo is he throws high fastballs and keeps guys guessing on whether it's a high fastball or a curve breaking below the zone. Let him do that for a rebuilding club, I'll take the 96-99 guy that's only 27 and hasn't thrown 1700 pro innings already.

I agree. Is there really a history of washed-up starters moving to the pen and being successful? Gallardo didn't pitch nearly enough relief innings to draw any conclusions last year. The failed starters who turn into really good relievers are usually guys who don't enough different pitches to keep people guessing 2+ times through the order, and they're often very hard throwers who keep hitters off balance when they replace a starter who doesn't throw as hard.

Barnes should be an easy choice. The same team that brought us Axford, Turnbow, Jeffress, Thornburg, and Knebel under similar circumstances and with very low expectations should see to that.

I know this is also opinion and there's no right or wrong, I'm just kind of surprised that someone who was as vocal as you were about the first half struggles in the pen and disappointed at the lack of early solution last year would be ok with going with retreads in half the pen and be ok with keeping an arm like Williams down in the name of depth.

Gallardo as a long man isn’t nearly as bad as signing a guy for your closers role that had no business being in that role. Williams has not seen a lot of action due to injury so I’m still a bit concerned with him. Talent is there and he may be great but I don’t mind seeing what a Gallardo can do in the long man spot especially if Suter is in your rotation.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Miley getting lit up today. Bodes well for those that don’t want to see him make the team.

2016 - 5.42 ERA

2017 - 5.72 ERA

Gallardo's average fastball last year was 92, as a starter. We'll probably see it around 94 as a reliever. Williams average fastball was 95. Not a huge difference here. Williams will pitch in the majors plenty this year, but if Gallardo does too it won't be a disaster. I still doubt that Yo makes it though.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Miley getting lit up today. Bodes well for those that don’t want to see him make the team.

By those I assume you mean Brewer fans?

No, Miley and Yo aren't good. Chacin away from Petco wasn't good. These are guys every team signs to fill one back end slot in the pen or spot 5th starter, not guys you count on in key roles.

Every team in the league has an abundance of pitching depth if the bar is Miley, Yo, and JC.

If we're going to send a guy like Williams down for "depth", why not send down Barnes? Between the last 2 springs and last season, he doesn't look like someone who should be considered a roster lock which he generally seems to be.

Gallardo's average fastball last year was 92, as a starter. We'll probably see it around 94 as a reliever. Williams average fastball was 95. Not a huge difference here. Williams will pitch in the majors plenty this year, but if Gallardo does too it won't be a disaster. I still doubt that Yo makes it though.

Fangraphs has Williams' fastball last year at 96.1, and I don't necessarily know that he was "letting it rip" as he was coming back from injury and it also was at the end of his first season pitching in three years and might have been a bit tired. They have described his fastball in spring training as "electric", suggesting it either has more velocity, more movement, or both.

Velocity is a majority of the battle, but how well the pitcher hides the ball is important too. Mike Fiers hid the ball well, which made his 90 mph fastball seem like it was 95+.

2016 - 5.42 ERA

2017 - 5.72 ERA

Regardless of starters stats if he's not 4.0 or lower in the pen he's a negative. The floor has to hold at 4.0.

"I'm pretty happy with Knebel, Hader, and Albers. Beyond that, I have concerns."

If you think those 3 can go 2.5 2.5 3 era... and they went 1.79 2.08 1.62 then your concerns are overblown. The other 5 guys have to average 4.0 era to keep the pen era near 3.5. It was 3.85 last year.

Within this year it's likely that 5 is a mix of barnes jeffress logan peralta williams houser lopez diplan suter. That should do the trick. Add in the ability to split a season 60/40 between a guy like jeffress with a guy like swarzak for relatively no prospect asset loss. Pen doesn't worry me. The lack of talent at the top of the rotation coupled with the 4 pack at 4-5 of Woodruff (who you'd assume we stash) Guerra Miley Suter is far more concerning to me. Very little can go wrong at 1-3 and 4-5 need to beat 4.7 era.

"I'm pretty happy with Knebel, Hader, and Albers. Beyond that, I have concerns."

If you think those 3 can go 2.5 2.5 3 era... and they went 1.79 2.08 1.62 then your concerns are overblown. The other 5 guys have to average 4.0 era to keep the pen era near 3.5. It was 3.85 last year.

Within this year it's likely that 5 is a mix of barnes jeffress logan peralta williams houser lopez diplan suter. That should do the trick.

I for one am certainly not OK with having 5 relievers with 4+ ERAs if we happen to have 3 top guys who can cancel some of those numbers out. Depth is important too, a top heavy pen will have some issues when top guys are injured or on rest which will especially be a problem down the stretch.

I'm not saying we should necessarily expect that from our bottom 5, but if we go in anticipating a 4.25 ERA from Yo and we decide we're just OK with that since the pen overall is still good; while Williams could have done better, that approach makes no sense to me.

Within this year it's likely that 5 is a mix of barnes jeffress logan peralta williams houser lopez diplan suter. That should do the trick.

I for one am certainly not OK with having 5 relievers with 4+ ERAs if we happen to have 3 top guys who can cancel some of those numbers out. Depth is important too, a top heavy pen will have some issues when top guys are injured or on rest which will especially be a problem down the stretch.

I'm not saying we should necessarily expect that from our bottom 5, but if we go in anticipating a 4.25 ERA from Yo and we decide we're just OK with that since the pen overall is still good; while Williams could have done better, that approach makes no sense to me.

Really? I'd take a 4.25 ERA from the long man out of the pen. I don't know, but it seems like the last couple spots in the bullpen and the rotation usually end up with 8 guys rotating in and out of those 4 spot who all fail with ERAs north of 5.5. Thus, they aren't in that spot very long. To guarantee a 4.25 for one guy for an entire year at the back end of the pitching staff seems like it would be a big win.

After today's outing, I hope the Brewers cut Miley or send him to the minors. Miley is reverting back to the pitcher he was last season.

Hope the Brewers sign Cobb for the last rotation spot, if that doesn't happen, I'd rather have Guerra in the rotation than Miley.

You shouldn't see 5 guys of 4+ era. Logan jeffress barnes are all candidates to be sub 4. That's all you need if your 1-3 in the pen are inplace. 1-3 in the pen we have... 1-3 in the rotation we don't.

After today's outing, I hope the Brewers cut Miley or send him to the minors. Miley is reverting back to the pitcher he was last season.

Hope the Brewers sign Cobb for the last rotation spot, if that doesn't happen, I'd rather have Guerra in the rotation than Miley.

Woodruff?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Woodruff?

To be fair to Guerra, he has performed better than Woodruff in ST so far. As such he deserves the rotation spot more.

Woodruff?

To be fair to Guerra, he has performed better than Woodruff in ST so far. As such he deserves the rotation spot more.

I think I'd feel a little better with Suter/Guerra filing the last two spots. Cobb/Guerra in the last two spots would be better with Suter in the swing man role.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Archived