Brewer Fanatic

2018 Brewers 25 Man Roster [Latest: Starting rotation set, post #445]

BrewCrewBlueDevil
So what's the projection for the opening day roster?

Starting Rotation = Chase Anderson, Zach Davies, Jhoulys Chacin, Brandon Woodruff, Wade Miley

Bullpen = Corey Knebel, Josh Hader, Matt Albers, Boone Logan, Jeremy Jeffress, Jacob Barnes, J.J. Hoover, Brent Suter

Catcher = Manny Pina, Jett Bandy (Vogt to the DL)

Infield = Eric Thames, Jonathan Villar, Erik Sogard, Orlando Arcia, Travis Shaw, Hernan Perez

Outfield = Ryan Braun, Christian Yelich, Lorenzo Cain, Domingo Santana

That position player group, barring any trades, feels like a lock to me.

I could see Suter in the rotation, with either Woodruff or Miley making way, and potentially T. Williams in the bullpen instead. But with Williams having options (as do some other fringe names like Guerra and Houser) he might be more likely to start in the minors.

The opening day roster will look much differrent than this, though this could be the roster come game #8, which is the 1st game they'll need a 5th starter.

Also, I don't expect the team to open the season with 8 relievers. They wouldn't be able to get them all sufficient work considering there's an off day the 4th day of the season.

Also, I wouldn't expect the team to just option everyone with options remaining. They're more likely to keep some players with options to preserve flexibility, while maintaining organizational depth by sending down players on minor league contracts such as Miley, Hoover, Choi, and Bethancourt.

My opening day roster, which will be very temporary and fluid:

Starting Rotation = Chase Anderson, Zach Davies, Jhoulys Chacin, Brent Suter (Brandon Woodruff added later as 5th starter)

Bullpen = Corey Knebel, Josh Hader, Matt Albers, Boone Logan, Jeremy Jeffress, Jacob Barnes, Junior Guerra

Catcher = Manny Pina, Jett Bandy (Vogt to the DL)

Infield = Eric Thames, Jonathan Villar, Erik Sogard, Orlando Arcia, Travis Shaw, Hernan Perez, Jesus Aguilar

Outfield = Ryan Braun, Christian Yelich, Lorenzo Cain, Domingo Santana, Keon Broxton

This gives the team more time to shop Aguilar, and delays optioning Broxton, giving the team a deeper bench for a few games, while allowing Woodruff and the relievers to stay sharp working in minor league spring training games.

A reliever can be purchased or recalled as soon as one is needed, optioning Broxton. Something will need to happen with Aguliar before game #8.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

• Replies 671
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So what are you doing the April 6th game? Keep on hearing 4 man rotation even from Counsell to start the year but never really see a plan for April 6th.

April 6th is the 8th game of the year, I'd DFA Aguilar and recall Woodruff. If the Aguilar situation has already been resolved, a different player would be optioned. This would also be around the time when the team could start needing an 8th reliever. Broxton could be optioned now, if he hasn't already.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Don’t count Gallardo out just yet. Good 2 innings of relief today. Counsell said he looked good.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Don’t count Gallardo out just yet. Good 2 innings of relief today. Counsell said he looked good.

Guerra's surprise 4th option certainly gives Gallardo a better chance. I have some concerns about how many retreads this team might end up having though. If you go down the roster battles one-by-one, you could make a case for guys like Gallardo, Miley, Jeffress, Guerra, and Drake, but you run the risk of failing to see the forest for the trees. They have a lot of young arms who have a good chance to be part of the team for a long time, including when they likely peak in 2-3 years. I would prefer they just throw more guys like Williams, Houser, Suter, and Woodruff into the fire so they go through some of those growing pains now. It's not like the retreads aren't almost just as likely to struggle anyway. I think they're still a very strong wild card contender either way, and they're way behind the Cubs, Dodgers, and Nationals, so why not err on the side of building for the future?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Guerra's surprise 4th option certainly gives Gallardo a better chance. I have some concerns about how many retreads this team might end up having though. If you go down the roster battles one-by-one, you could make a case for guys like Gallardo, Miley, Jeffress, Guerra, and Drake, but you run the risk of failing to see the forest for the trees. They have a lot of young arms who have a good chance to be part of the team for a long time, including when they likely peak in 2-3 years. I would prefer they just throw more guys like Williams, Houser, Suter, and Woodruff into the fire so they go through some of those growing pains now. It's not like the retreads aren't almost just as likely to struggle anyway. I think they're still a very strong wild card contender either way, and they're way behind the Cubs, Dodgers, and Nationals, so why not err on the side of building for the future?

100% agree with this. Filling out the rotation and pen with retreads and reclamation projects is the "old Brewers" way of doing business, in the years where they really had no other alternatives. I understand the argument that it increases your organizational depth to hide those younger guys with options at AAA, but at some point you just end up stunting their development. Suter and Woodruff have nothing left to prove at AAA, and fit the team's "young controllable talent" mantra.

I don't mind that the team gave Miley a chance to reestablish himself as a MLB pitcher this Spring Training, but I don't want him anywhere close to the team's starting rotation. This team has "been there, done that" in the past, and it almost always ends poorly.

Suter is almost certain to be in the rotation.

I've a soft spot for Yo. I think it's very likely Yo gets a spot in the bullpen.

If the Brewers don't get Cobb, I think the last rotation spot probably goes to Miley.

Guerra and Woodruff will probably start the season in AAA.

The Brewers should cut Drake immediately.

100% agree with this. Filling out the rotation and pen with retreads and reclamation projects is the "old Brewers" way of doing business, in the years where they really had no other alternatives. I understand the argument that it increases your organizational depth to hide those younger guys with options at AAA, but at some point you just end up stunting their development. Suter and Woodruff have nothing left to prove at AAA, and fit the team's "young controllable talent" mantra.

I don't mind that the team gave Miley a chance to reestablish himself as a MLB pitcher this Spring Training, but I don't want him anywhere close to the team's starting rotation. This team has "been there, done that" in the past, and it almost always ends poorly.

Agreed since Cobb is more likely not coming here, Woodruff needs to be in the rotation.

Anderson

Davies

Chacin

Woodruff

Suter

This rotation gives us the best chance at staying above water until Jimmy comes back to anchor the rotation.

And if Drake makes this bullpen over Taylor I will be severely disappointed in Stearns and CC.

Knebel

Hader

Albers

Barnes

Logan

Jeffress

Williams

Gallardo

I can deal with one of Guerra/Miley taking the 5 spot to start the season, but would not like it if both of them were to take the rotation spots from Suter/Woodruff. Neither of these guys have been near as bad as Milone was last spring and still somehow managed to claim a spot.

I can also deal with one of Guerra/Miley/Gallardo as the 8th "long man" role as it's kind of pointless to put a prospect that you have some high hopes for in that role.

I don't hate Drake, but with the increased bullpen depth that the Brewers have this year, he's just not needed, since he really can't fill the 8th Long man role.

Jeffress I really can't count as just a general "retread" since he's had success with the Brewers, and is not really expected to be one of their top 3-4 relievers anyways.

I could see them using that extra week to delay decisions on guys they might lose, like Aguilar (or dare I say Drake). Keep Aquilar as the 13th position player and see what happens that first week.

“That’s part of it,” Counsell said. “There is a way to have less relievers or less starters and the same number of relievers. Most of the scenarios of going with four (starters) involve carrying an additional position player.

“There’s value in extending that decision, not having to make it until you absolutely have to. The information changes on a daily basis, almost.”

Really sounds like they're going to keep Aquilar as long as possible and hope something happens before they need a 5th starter.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/mlb/brewers/2018/03/15/brewers-still-have-rotation-and-bullpen-decisions-make-end-spring-training-nears/426741002/

I am not sure why everyone thinks Barnes is a lock. I was not overly impressed with him last year

He has a Knebel like arm, so i think the team wants to give him every chance to succeed.

I'm not saying this will happen, but Knebel was also erratic in 2015/2016 before having his dominant season last year, maybe Barnes could break out also.

That's the thing with relievers who have golden arms like Knebel and Barnes. The stuff is there to be really good or even dominant, but command of that stuff can be hard to predict when it will click or not.

For me at least, Barnes would have to pitch his way out of a job in major league games before he wouldn't be on the roster if it was my call.

As others have mentioned, I would guess the goal is to keep Aguilar around as long as possible. The "5th starter" and the "8th man/long relief bullpen guy" will likely be one and the same player to open the season. If the starters go deep, we can hopefully keep a 7 man pen throughout our "off daySSS." If not, then we will adjust accordingly once we need another arm. Between Suter, Miley, Woodruff and Guerra, we have many options on how to do this.

I could see them using that extra week to delay decisions on guys they might lose, like Aguilar (or dare I say Drake). Keep Aquilar as the 13th position player and see what happens that first week.

“That’s part of it,” Counsell said. “There is a way to have less relievers or less starters and the same number of relievers. Most of the scenarios of going with four (starters) involve carrying an additional position player.

“There’s value in extending that decision, not having to make it until you absolutely have to. The information changes on a daily basis, almost.”

Really sounds like they're going to keep Aquilar as long as possible and hope something happens before they need a 5th starter.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/mlb/brewers/2018/03/15/brewers-still-have-rotation-and-bullpen-decisions-make-end-spring-training-nears/426741002/

Part of me wonders if another team wants him, and this is posturing...or maybe they think other teams are assuming he'll hit waivers and the brewers to try and get those teams to give up something worthwhile for him.

I am not sure why everyone thinks Barnes is a lock. I was not overly impressed with him last year

He has a Knebel like arm, so i think the team wants to give him every chance to succeed.

I'm not saying this will happen, but Knebel was also erratic in 2015/2016 before having his dominant season last year, maybe Barnes could break out also.

That's the thing with relievers who have golden arms like Knebel and Barnes. The stuff is there to be really good or even dominant, but command of that stuff can be hard to predict when it will click or not.

For me at least, Barnes would have to pitch his way out of a job in major league games before he wouldn't be on the roster if it was my call.

Knebel mixes his upper 90s with a low 80s curve. Barnes mixes his upper 90s with a low 90s slider. Barnes slider doesn't move enough consistently, which allows guys to sit on the fastball and foul off sliders while waiting for a mistake. Knebel's pitches are so different that it's hard to adjust if you guess wrong, and both pitches are more quality offerings and test the hitter quite a bit even if they guess right.

Barnes has options, it's becoming more and more likely that he gets considered for AAA if he doesn't improve in the 2nd half of ST.

Part of me wonders if another team wants him, and this is posturing...or maybe they think other teams are assuming he'll hit waivers and the brewers to try and get those teams to give up something worthwhile for him.

The chance of getting him through waivers would seem to be better a week into the regular season as opposed to at the end of spring training. Would you consider jumbling up your 25-man roster a week into the season?

The chance of getting him through waivers would seem to be better a week into the regular season as opposed to at the end of spring training. Would you consider jumbling up your 25-man roster a week into the season?

Good point. Maybe that's part of the thinking if we can't find a taker in trade...

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Here is McCalvy's roster prediction with two weeks to go: https://www.mlb.com/brewers/news/predicting-brewers-2018-opening-day-roster/c-268793676

Not a fan of this roster make-up at all. But I'm worried that it has a high probability of happening. This prospective pitching staff is chock full of retreads like Miley, Gallardo and Hoover, while guys like Woodruff, Suter and Williams get the honor of watching snow-outs in Colorado Springs. No thanks.

Suter is just down temporarily until they need a starter so that's not a big deal to me.

I think keeping Williams down is a big mistake. Are we really going to repeat last year and let the pen cost us a bunch of games in April and May before we figure out that we need to get better arms in it?

Suter is just down temporarily until they need a starter so that's not a big deal to me.

I think keeping Williams down is a big mistake. Are we really going to repeat last year and let the pen cost us a bunch of games in April and May before we figure out that we need to get better arms in it?

+1 again, you're on fire today.

It will be very annoying watching Gallardo post a 7 ERA, get cut in early May, and then have Williams come up and do his best 2017 Josh Hader impression.

I think some might have too high of expectations for Williams. Just a gut feeling. He will do alright but as dominant as Hader might be wishful thinking. Also very doubtful that Suter isn’t in the rotation or a long man just by what Counsell has said previously.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

It will be very annoying watching Gallardo post a 7 ERA, get cut in early May, and then have Williams come up and do his best 2017 Josh Hader impression.

Doing my best, thanks. ;)

I guess the only positive I can take from the projection is that Drake isn't on it.

Still, too many retreads like others have said -- Gallardo, Hoover, Logan, etc. I like Albers and can get on board with him. Jeffress also, to a lesser extent.

But with how many games we lost in the 1st half last year before we called up Hader and it made a world of difference, I can't believe we can't find room for Taylor who would be one of our 3 most talented arms.

Williams is almost 27, it's not like age or service time is a concern. Last year was the year to baby him back in carefully and they did. He threw 52 innings and is a perfect pen candidate now.

I think some might have too high of expectations for Williams. Just a gut feeling. He will do alright but as dominant as Hader might be wishful thinking. Also very doubtful that Suter isn’t in the rotation or a long man just by what Counsell has said previously.

I don't think he will be as dominant as Hader was, but I think in a pen role, something like a 3 ERA and 10 K/9 is realistic, and that's an arm that should be helping us now.

Certainly better than what I would expect from Drake or Yo.

I don't think he will be as dominant as Hader was, but I think in a pen role, something like a 3 ERA and 10 K/9 is realistic, and that's an arm that should be helping us now.

Certainly better than what I would expect from Drake or Yo.

If anyone is trying to say Drake should make this team they should have all their Brewers gear burned. Okay, dramatic but that guy sucks. I get the Yo experiment a bit because he did well in a limited time in the pen a year ago and from the sounds of their coaches, they think there is something there as a long man. If that keeps a guy like Williams down until we find out which pitchers stink this season, I’m okay with that. Not all of our pen guys will work out most likely so it’s grest to have quality to pull up if/when that occurs.

While I don't think Gallardo makes it, I don't know why anyone would project a 7 ERA from him as a reliever. He still has plenty of velocity left, and his curve is solid. He could probably be a good reliever. We just have a excess of those, and the team needs some relievers who can be optioned for roster flexibility. Same reason i think Hoover didn't make the club out of spring training.

While I don't think Gallardo makes it, I don't know why anyone would project a 7 ERA from him as a reliever. He still has plenty of velocity left, and his curve is solid. He could probably be a good reliever. We just have a excess of those, and the team needs some relievers who can be optioned for roster flexibility. Same reason i think Hoover didn't make the club out of spring training.

2016 - 5.42 ERA

2017 - 5.72 ERA

ST18 - 5.40 ERA - 6 runs earned, 9 total.

Ok fine, maybe he'll only post a 6 ERA or 5.5. Does that really change the conversation on him?

If the team needs roster flexibility so badly, maybe we should option Knebel as well so we can keep Gallardo and Hoover? Obviously that's an extreme, non-serious example, but I'm trying to prove a point. There reaches a point where the player is too good to option and deserves a spot on the MLB roster at the expense of keeping some old washed up vet and hoping he magically got better. Just watch the guy throw, he can run laps around Gallardo and Hoover.

I posted this in another thread, but we have plenty of AAA options for relievers when we inevitably need one or three. Houser, Derby, Ventura, Ramirez, Lopez, and any of 3 or 4 AAA starting options...just off the top of my head, I'm probably missing a few. Not having Williams be first man up in AAA will not drastically impact our depth that much. And again, I think he's too good to put back to AAA.

I personally think we keep Gallardo and option Williams. I'm very critical of the overall plan of this offseason by the Brewers, and don't expect them to all of a sudden start making intelligent decisions.

Archived