Brewer Fanatic

2018 Brewers 25 Man Roster [Latest: Starting rotation set, post #445]

BrewCrewBlueDevil
Either way, CC/Haudricourt make it sound like we'll roll with 4 starters for a much more significant amount of time than 1 week.

Due respect, THEY'RE not making it sound like that, the BF.net world is making it sound like that. A lot can happen in the next couple days, and all CC is doing is stating a fact that they won't need a 5th starter immediately. He didn't say for a month or even two weeks.

This is probably overly nitpicking, but he says because of "off dayS"...meaning multiple. We will in fact have 1 off day before a 10 day stretch of games where we will need a 5th starter twice. Maybe haudricourt misquoted, but referring to multiple days and looking at when our 2nd offday is clearly implies a more significant stretch of time than a week.

• Replies 671
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I could see them using that extra week to delay decisions on guys they might lose, like Aguilar (or dare I say Drake). Keep Aquilar as the 13th position player and see what happens that first week.

Also, considering Miley/Suter probably have the inside track on starting gigs...neither player has options so they would both have to make the roster...thus 5 starters right away.

Suter has 2 options.

I feel like I've seen it all offseason that Suter was likely to get an mlb job due to his performance last season and 0 options remaining, I could be wrong on that.

Also, considering Miley/Suter probably have the inside track on starting gigs...neither player has options so they would both have to make the roster...thus 5 starters right away.

Suter has 2 options.

I feel like I've seen it all offseason that Suter was likely to get an mlb job due to his performance last season and 0 options remaining, I could be wrong on that.

Like Outlander said, Suter has 2 options left.

This is stupid. What a dumb comment from CC. We have stretches of 10, 10, and 7 games in April. Either we need a 5th starter 5 times, or we'll have 5 bullpen games...in friggin April. If a random person made this exact comment, I'd question whether that person knows anything about baseball.

You should probably be questioning whether that person understands so much about baseball that they would be capable of outside-the-box innovations that are met with such incredulity. It's perfectly fine to break camp with 4 starters for several days when you have so many capable pitchers with more options than you need, who are arguably likely to be better than all the retreads anwyay. It would be a wise move considering some starters have no business going much more than 4-5 innings. They can call up a 5th starter when they need one. It's just laziness and not wanting to work hard on the details that makes some teams want to establish more of a routine right away, before it's even necessary.

The Brewers are set up to do a lot of experimenting with their rotation and bullpen use this year. Piggy-backing, lack of true 4/5's, shuttle service, 13 pitchers, more long relief, etc. I think it was part of the plan all along. If you're resistant to trying new things, you're not going to enjoy this season as much as you could.

This is stupid. What a dumb comment from CC. We have stretches of 10, 10, and 7 games in April. Either we need a 5th starter 5 times, or we'll have 5 bullpen games...in friggin April. If a random person made this exact comment, I'd question whether that person knows anything about baseball.

You should probably be questioning whether that person understands so much about baseball that they would be capable of outside-the-box innovations that are met with such incredulity. It's perfectly fine to break camp with 4 starters for several days when you have so many capable pitchers with more options than you need, who are arguably likely to be better than all the retreads anwyay. It would be a wise move considering some starters have no business going much more than 4-5 innings. They can call up a 5th starter when they need one. It's just laziness and not wanting to work hard on the details that makes some teams want to establish more of a routine right away, before it's even necessary.

The Brewers are set up to do a lot of experimenting with their rotation and bullpen use this year. Piggy-backing, lack of true 4/5's, shuttle service, 13 pitchers, more long relief, etc. I think it was part of the plan all along. If you're resistant to trying new things, you're not going to enjoy this season as much as you could.

I've responded to this already, but CC said off DAYS...plural. Our second off day is almost 3 weeks into the season, so he implied he's planning on rolling with 4 starters for almost 3 weeks...which is 100% a terrible idea. I'm all for shuttling the 8th reliever and keeping a long reliever or 2 on the roster. Much of your "experimenting" list isn't all that outside the box, and the ones that are...aren't likely to happen. Lack of true 4/5's, piggybacking, etc...not likely.

Either way, CC/Haudricourt make it sound like we'll roll with 4 starters for a much more significant amount of time than 1 week.

Due respect, THEY'RE not making it sound like that, the BF.net world is making it sound like that. A lot can happen in the next couple days, and all CC is doing is stating a fact that they won't need a 5th starter immediately. He didn't say for a month or even two weeks.

This is probably overly nitpicking, but he says because of "off dayS"...meaning multiple. We will in fact have 1 off day before a 10 day stretch of games where we will need a 5th starter twice. Maybe haudricourt misquoted, but referring to multiple days and looking at when our 2nd offday is clearly implies a more significant stretch of time than a week.

You're right, it is probably overly nitpicking. I'm sure CC wasn't approaching this as a State of the Union speech or something. It was a general comment, and I don't think we should take dayS so literally. And I wouldn't even give too much thought to starting with 4 SP period. It's the kind of thing that just gets tossed around at this point in ST. So any comment gets overly scrutinized. But I get it, it's a detour from talking about Cobb all the time. ; )

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
With Phllips having a tough spring and Broxton having an option, it looks more like last roster spot is between Aguilar and Villar.

How many regular season games is Villar going to have to start before you give up on the notion that he's a bubble player? I think not signing Walker sealed the fact that not only is Villar going to be on the team, he's likely going to see the majority of the playing time at 2B. I'm sure Sogard and Perez will see time there as well, though.

With Phllips having a tough spring and Broxton having an option, it looks more like last roster spot is between Aguilar and Villar.

Villar is pretty much a lock. The question is what happens to Aguilar, since Braun is basically taking his spot at 1B.

I'm predicting they both make it to start the season, along with 4 SPs and 8 bullpen arms. Then they see what happens when they need a 5th starter in a week.

How many regular season games is Villar going to have to start before you give up on the notion that he's a bubble player? I think not signing Walker sealed the fact that not only is Villar going to be on the team, he's likely going to see the majority of the playing time at 2B. I'm sure Sogard and Perez will see time there as well, though.

Agreed, Villar is gonna be out starting 2B against RHP and Perez against LHP (My guess on Perez).

Agreed, Villar is gonna be out starting 2B against RHP and Perez against LHP (My guess on Perez).

I've seen this notion of Villar being a better LHB too many times to count this offseason. How did that get started? He is significantly better as an RHB for his career. ~120 bad pa's as an RHB last year does not change that. I think it's far more likely that Sogard and Villar will share 2b starts against RHP's, with Villar getting most of the starts against LHP's. Perez will get some too just to stay involved, but will need to get most of his starts against LHP's at 3b and LF, and 1B when Braun is hurt or DH'ing. I'm looking forward to Perez not being a ~400 pa guy this year, even though I like him a lot in the right role.

So what's the projection for the opening day roster?

Starting Rotation = Chase Anderson, Zach Davies, Jhoulys Chacin, Brandon Woodruff, Wade Miley

Bullpen = Corey Knebel, Josh Hader, Matt Albers, Boone Logan, Jeremy Jeffress, Jacob Barnes, J.J. Hoover, Brent Suter

Catcher = Manny Pina, Jett Bandy (Vogt to the DL)

Infield = Eric Thames, Jonathan Villar, Erik Sogard, Orlando Arcia, Travis Shaw, Hernan Perez

Outfield = Ryan Braun, Christian Yelich, Lorenzo Cain, Domingo Santana

Starting Rotation = Chase Anderson, Zach Davies, Jhoulys Chacin, Brandon Woodruff, Wade Miley

Bullpen = Corey Knebel, Josh Hader, Matt Albers, Boone Logan, Jeremy Jeffress, Jacob Barnes, J.J. Hoover, Brent Suter

Infield = Eric Thames, Jonathan Villar, Erik Sogard, Orlando Arcia, Travis Shaw, Hernan Perez

Looks great!

Only changes I make Taylor Williams over Hoover and Christian Bethancourt over Bandy.

WHY DID JIMMY HAVE TO DIVE AGAIN??

I am not sure why everyone thinks Barnes is a lock. I was not overly impressed with him last year

Agreed... I mentioned a couple posts ago, I could see Hoover or Taylor Williams taking his spot since he has options remaining.

If Suter makes the rotation, I would keep Yo as our long man.

Anderson

Davies

Chacin

Woodruff

Suter

Knebel

Hader

Albers

Logan

Jeffress

Williams

Hoover or Barnes

Gallardo

That position player group, barring any trades, feels like a lock to me.

I could see Suter in the rotation, with either Woodruff or Miley making way, and potentially T. Williams in the bullpen instead. But with Williams having options (as do some other fringe names like Guerra and Houser) he might be more likely to start in the minors.

Archived