Brewer Fanatic

2018 Brewers 25 Man Roster [Latest: Starting rotation set, post #445]

BrewCrewBlueDevil
  • Replies 671
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gallardo isn't going to be in the rotation if he doesn't start showing something soon.

They will go with Suter

Agreed, I don't understand why people think Gallardo is going to make the rotation. His odds are probably in line with Drake's odds of making the bullpen.

Looks like Guerra now has an option left

I saw that too. That's a game changer in my opinion, I'd go as far as to say it's likely that Guerra opens in AAA rotation now.

Anderson

Davies

Chacin

Miley

Gallardo

Look more likely by the day.

Please no on Yo... Im guessing Woodruff/Suter battle for 5th spot.

I'm thinking Guerra gets the 5th spot. I keep reading about how they feel like they messed him up last year by holding him out of winter ball and then he got hurt in the first game. Now he's healthy and had a good winter, so I think they give him another shot.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I am still about 85% sure they'll sign a starter, most likely Cobb. Then it will be between Miley, Guerra, Suter and Woodruff for the 5th spot. I personally hope Suter or Woodruff get it, knowing that more than likely it will go to Miley :(

If they don't sign a pitcher, I'm hoping Suter and Woodruff, but realistically it'll be Miley and Guerra

I am still about 85% sure they'll sign a starter, most likely Cobb. Then it will be between Miley, Guerra, Suter and Woodruff for the 5th spot. I personally hope Suter or Woodruff get it, knowing that more than likely it will go to Miley :(

If they don't sign a pitcher, I'm hoping Suter and Woodruff, but realistically it'll be Miley and Guerra

It was just reported that Guerra actually has an option...

EDIT: Saw on previous page this mentioned already.

@AdamMcCalvy

14m14 minutes ago

Stephen Vogt tried to throw on the field for the first time this morning and had a setback. He will have to see the doctor before Brewers know what’s next. Given the timing, it looks like it will be tough for him to make the team.

It is looking more and more like Jett Bandy will "earn" his way onto the 25 man roster. Our catching department might be the black hole of 2017 if Pina cannot repeat his first half of last season or has bad health.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

@Haudricourt

5m5 minutes ago

CC said #Brewers might only need four starters coming out of camp because of off days.

This is an interesting tidbit. Wonder how long we would go without adding a 5th guy to the rotation?

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Christian Bethancourt has a really good arm, but doesn't appear to be anywhere close to the Majors.

Maybe Nottingham will take a huuuuuuuge jump this year and help us at some point.

A few thoughts:

There must be serious concerns about Lucroy's personality/attitude/lack of fit in the clubhouse to not sign him for a 1-2 year contract considering everything

The Brewers must have insight into the probability of Neil Walker's imminent decline to not sign him

Stearns has repeatedly spoke the mantra of "stick to the plan" in interviews this offseason...

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

@Haudricourt

5m5 minutes ago

CC said #Brewers might only need four starters coming out of camp because of off days.

This is an interesting tidbit. Wonder how long we would go without adding a 5th guy to the rotation?

Perfect...

Anderson

Cobb

Davies

Chacin

@Haudricourt

5m5 minutes ago

Perfect...

Anderson

Cobb

Davies

Chacin

This is stupid. What a dumb comment from CC. We have stretches of 10, 10, and 7 games in April. Either we need a 5th starter 5 times, or we'll have 5 bullpen games...in friggin April. If a random person made this exact comment, I'd question whether that person knows anything about baseball.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
This is stupid. What a dumb comment from CC. We have stretches of 10, 10, and 7 games in April. Either we need a 5th starter 5 times, or we'll have 5 bullpen games...in friggin April. If a random person made this exact comment, I'd question whether that person knows anything about baseball.

I was thinking the same thing. You aren't going to pitch guys on short rest in April. Makes me think that something is up rotation-wise.

He said “out of camp” which is technically true since the first time through the rotation they only need 4 guys with the off day. Guys would be able to stay on regular rest for their second start/time through the rotation and then that second time through a 5th starter would need to be added. They might not want to commit to a guy sooner than needed that way almost everyone is available in long relief for the first 3-4 games and could have that first 5th starter be whoever is rested/matches up best with who we play (I think it’s the 3rd series of the year against the Cubs series a 5th starter would be needed looking at the schedule). Skipping the 5th starter first time through gets Anderson starts in both the Cardinals and Cubs series too.

It also might be getting too cute but they also could break camp with an extra RP (Williams?) because of this for the first 6-8 games and leave one of or both Guerra or Woodruff back in camp to stay stretched out and then bring them back up for that first start the 5th starter is needed.

3/29- 1

3/30- 2

3/31- 3

4/1- OFF DAY

4/2- 4

4/3- 1

4/4- 2

4/5- 3

4/6- Pen Game

4/7- 4

4/8- 1

4/9- 2

4/10- 3

4/11- 5 (5th man joins team)

4/12- 4

4/13- 1

4/14- 2

4/15- 3

4/16- 5

4/17- 4

4/18- 1

4/19- 2

4/20- 3

4/21- 5

4/22- 4

4/23- OFF (order gets reset if they want)

4/24- 1

4/25- 2

4/26- 3

4/27- 4/5 (#5 gets sent back down)

4/28- 5/4

4/29- 1

4/30- 2

5/1- 3

5/2- 4

5/3- OFF DAY

5/4- 1

5/5- 2

5/6- 3

5/7- OFF DAY

5/8- 4

5/9- 1

5/10- 2

5/11- 3

5/12- 4

5/13- 5 (5th starter recalled)

He said “out of camp” which is technically true since the first time through the rotation they only need 4 guys with the off day. Guys would be able to stay on regular rest for their second start/time through the rotation and then that second time through a 5th starter would need to be added. They might not want to commit to a guy sooner than needed that way almost everyone is available in long relief for the first 3-4 games and could have that first 5th starter be whoever is rested/matches up best with who we play (I think it’s the 3rd series of the year against the Cubs series a 5th starter would be needed looking at the schedule). Skipping the 5th starter first time through gets Anderson starts in both the Cardinals and Cubs series too.

It also might be getting too cute but they also could break camp with an extra RP (Williams?) because of this for the first 6-8 games and leave one of or both Guerra or Woodruff back in camp to stay stretched out and then bring them back up for that first start the 5th starter is needed.

They would first need a 5th starter on April 6th, so maybe they can get by for a week with 4. What's the point? Maybe keep Broxton up for defense/base running for a week? Maybe a 9th bullpen arm for 3-4 innings? It all seems trivial. I think it makes more sense to let our guys get settled in a bit, and heck even give all our pitchers that extra day off early in the season versus sticking to the 5 day schedule. Either way, CC/Haudricourt make it sound like we'll roll with 4 starters for a much more significant amount of time than 1 week.

Also, considering Miley/Suter probably have the inside track on starting gigs...neither player has options so they would both have to make the roster...thus 5 starters right away.

Either way, CC/Haudricourt make it sound like we'll roll with 4 starters for a much more significant amount of time than 1 week.

Due respect, THEY'RE not making it sound like that, the BF.net world is making it sound like that. A lot can happen in the next couple days, and all CC is doing is stating a fact that they won't need a 5th starter immediately. He didn't say for a month or even two weeks.

They would first need a 5th starter on April 6th, so maybe they can get by for a week with 4. What's the point? Maybe keep Broxton up for defense/base running for a week? Maybe a 9th bullpen arm for 3-4 innings? It all seems trivial. I think it makes more sense to let our guys get settled in a bit, and heck even give all our pitchers that extra day off early in the season versus sticking to the 5 day schedule. Either way, CC/Haudricourt make it sound like we'll roll with 4 starters for a much more significant amount of time than 1 week.

Also, considering Miley/Suter probably have the inside track on starting gigs...neither player has options so they would both have to make the roster...thus 5 starters right away.

I mostly agree with you. Was just trying to point out what was likely meant with what CC said. I get both sides, overall I’d lean to just starting the season with the 5-man rotation and taking advantage of that early rest for the SP than tying to find some minute way optimize roster construction that likely doesn’t move the needle in terms of winning games for a week stretch. The guys in the rotation who matter aren’t exactly durable, workhorses (Anderson, Davies, Chacin) or at least haven’t proven that yet and if we are doing anything this year those guys have to stay healthy. An extra days rest for them > whatever nominal value Broxton for defense/baserunning or having Gallardo make it in the pen for ~6 games.

I mostly agree with you. Was just trying to point out what was likely meant with what CC said. I get both sides, overall I’d lean to just starting the season with the 5-man rotation and taking advantage of that early rest for the SP than tying to find some minute way optimize roster construction that likely doesn’t move the needle in terms of winning games for a week stretch. The guys in the rotation who matter aren’t exactly durable, workhorses (Anderson, Davies, Chacin) or at least haven’t proven that yet and if we are doing anything this year those guys have to stay healthy. An extra days rest for them > whatever nominal value Broxton for defense/baserunning or having Gallardo make it in the pen for ~6 games.

The most value we would get out of keeping a starter in AAA an extra week would be if that starter was a Boras client...so we could see another world class hissy fit like the one he made of the 3 days Davies spent in AAA a year or two back.

Archived