Brewer Fanatic

Packer Injuries

CheezWizHed
The injury bug seems to hit the Packers at specific position groupings from year to year. Last year it was the DBs, two years ago it was the OLBs. This year it appears to be the OL.

yeah and 2013, at the QB position with rodgers, tolzien, wallace and then picked up flynn to get us through. so many pundits were calling for TTs head for not carrying more and better backups on the team. it's a tough call and no one can know what to predict.

and speaking of 2013, the brewers actually had decent depth at 1B. then Corey Hart gets injured out for the year in January, but silver lining was that it would finally open the door for Mat Gamel to show what he's got, only for him to get re-injured and again out for another year that spring. another option in the mix could have been Taylor Green who had a huge 2011 in AAA and decent followup in 2012, but also got injured for the year. at that point in the spring, there weren't many outside options and the brewers decided to continue go in-house with Alex Gonzalez opening the season at 1B with the thinking that a SS would provide superior defensive ability to mitigate has weak offense, and was only a year removed from cracking 23 HR so wasn't thought to be a total slouch. oops- wrong on both regards. then Melvin takes action and trades for Juan Francisco- who started out hot, but was abysmal defensively. (and i think might have also gotten hurt?). at some point around this time, they started experimenting with Maldy & LuCroy at first. also add in Halton and Lalli who saw some limited time there. but, most infamous, of course was the extended play that Yuni got at 1B that launched him in to a status all his own. Melvin was put on the hot seat for not doing more to address the situation at first. but, really- what more could he have done? who could have predicted that two starting caliber first basemen would go down?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Packers have to be one of the most snake bitten when it comes to injuries. Seems a Star player never makes it through game 2 of regular season, or even making it past preseason. Daniels and Bahkteri. Matthews/Nelson. Cobb. Bulaga seems yearly. BJ Raji a few seasons back. It's just crazy how this team goes through 4+major injuries by the time week 5 comes, and other teams will have an OL stay healthy a full season.

• 2 weeks later...
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Ok, so this went to the ridiculous level yesterday. Rodgers was a back-breaking loss. But then Bahktiari and Bulaga were injured. Taylor got hurt, leaving us 2 starters on the OL and running out our 6th and 7th best OTs.

Then Rollins went down too (and now on the IR).

Tank time
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Ok, so this went to the ridiculous level yesterday. Rodgers was a back-breaking loss. But then Bahktiari and Bulaga were injured. Taylor got hurt, leaving us 2 starters on the OL and running out our 6th and 7th best OTs.

Then Rollins went down too (and now on the IR).

Well last year's NFC Championship we had Letroy Guion as a guard for the end of the 4th quarter. So at least we haven't reached that level?

Put this in perspective, Joe Thomas finally missed a SNAP at Tackle after 10+seasons and 167games. Meanwhile in GB we watch year after year both tackles down. Rodgers now down for the 2nd collarbone break another 1st quarter major injury.

Not going to lie, but with so much support I have for Hundley, the injuries piling up just leave me questioning if there is another win this season. Odds are Hundley will be hurt before we face Cleveland with this disaster of an O-Line. It is so frustrating to see a guy like Bahktari or Bulaga miss time and then come back and immediately miss more time.

Put this in perspective, Joe Thomas finally missed a SNAP at Tackle after 10+seasons and 167games. Meanwhile in GB we watch year after year both tackles down. Rodgers now down for the 2nd collarbone break another 1st quarter major injury.

Not going to lie, but with so much support I have for Hundley, the injuries piling up just leave me questioning if there is another win this season. Odds are Hundley will be hurt before we face Cleveland with this disaster of an O-Line. It is so frustrating to see a guy like Bahktari or Bulaga miss time and then come back and immediately miss more time.

Ok, first of all, using the most durable tackle in NFL history as a barometer is insanely unfair. But more importantly, you're just wrong on Bahktari in particular. He'd missed 2 games in his NFL career, both in '15...and we didn't have a tackle miss a start last year. So not only should nobody be held to the standard of Joe Thomas...I'm really not seeing the durability of our tackles as a pervasive problem for the Packers over the year. Bulaga's been banged up, but even there he's missed 0, 4, 1 games the previous 3 years.

We definitely seem to deal with more injuries than most contenders but normally it's on the defensive side of the ball where we have players who are perpetually getting hurt. The secondary has been hit hard. I don't know what the cause of that is...other than it's an extremely violent game and guys get injured...but the Packers are dealing with more than the average team. Especially the last couple years. And I would have agreed it was because the Packers are overly conservative, but last year they tried to play guys who were still injured with Randall and Rollins. They just weren't good enough to be effective while injured. Sitton and Lang on the other hand were able to get by and still be effective with injuries..as has Rodgers, Nelson, Adams and Cobb. So perhaps it's not just guys getting hurt, it's that the guys who are getting hurt aren't good enough to still be effective at less than 100 pct. Charles Woodson was another guy who was consistently banged up with the Packers but still played well. Of course he missed a ton of time in Oakland before coming to GB.

I'll also be shocked if the Packers don't win another game this year. In fact I'd be shocked if Hundley doesn't at least keep them in playoff contention during the 8 weeks that Rodgers is definitively going to miss. The bye combined with a weaker schedule and I think the season will come down to the last few games of the season again this year just as it did in '13.

Long snapper is a thinner position than OT. Oh wait, he may injured too.

Not only was Goode injured (and released via an injury settlement), but the replacement long snapper (Taybor Pepper) is injured, meaning the team is down to a 3rd string LS (Derek Hart) for Monday night's game.

Kentrell Brice, Pepper to IR

Vince Biegel activated from PUP (taking the roster spot vacated by Ricky Jean Francois, who was released earlier in the week)

CB Donatello Brown promoted from the practice squad.

Torn ACL for Bulaga; done for the season.

That just might do it for his time as a Packer...he's had a good career, but his legs/body is at the point where he can't be relied on to stay on the field and his contract is too rich to keep him around as a backup. I think it'd be a 3.2Million dollar cap hit, but they'd save $5M plus on his 2018 salary on a guy who won't be ready to play anywhere close to the start of next season.

Tons of work to be done on this roster heading into 2018...Getting Rodgers back healthy drastically improves the outlook, but there are glaring warts and a lack of quality depth throughout.

I would have no problems if the Pack didn't win a game the rest of the year. You get a top 10 pick and you already have an elite QB. That rarely happens.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Torn ACL for Bulaga; done for the season.

That just might do it for his time as a Packer...he's had a good career, but his legs/body is at the point where he can't be relied on to stay on the field and his contract is too rich to keep him around as a backup. I think it'd be a 3.2Million dollar cap hit, but they'd save $5M plus on his 2018 salary on a guy who won't be ready to play anywhere close to the start of next season.

Tons of work to be done on this roster heading into 2018...Getting Rodgers back healthy drastically improves the outlook, but there are glaring warts and a lack of quality depth throughout.

I would expect Bulaga to be available by the regular season. Not sure if he's worth cutting because there won't be a lot of money saved if you include signing someone to replace Bulaga.

TE Martellus Bennett cut for failure to disclose a medical condition. Not sure if this is pre-contract (where the team could go after the signing bonus) or an injury suffered during the season.

Not that it would have made much of a difference this year, but the decision to let Jared Cook go is not looking so great.

TE Martellus Bennett cut for failure to disclose a medical condition. Not sure if this is pre-contract (where the team could go after the signing bonus) or an injury suffered during the season.

Not that it would have made much of a difference this year, but the decision to let Jared Cook go is not looking so great.

It was odd that he came back from the bye week injured. I just assumed he was cashing in some unused PTO days before he retired. It will be interesting to see the details as they unfold.

It was odd that he came back from the bye week injured. I just assumed he was cashing in some unused PTO days before he retired. It will be interesting to see the details as they unfold.

It was clear Bennett had no desire to stay on a sinking ship and having him around with that attitude did not sit well so he orchestrated his release. Good riddance. He didn't do anything even when Rodgers was healthy.

I'd be curious to know if season ending injuries (mid season or earlier) are more prevalent now than 20 years ago. My hunch is yes simply because the athletes are so much bigger and faster than they used to be. F * M = A and what not.

I'd be curious to know if season ending injuries (mid season or earlier) are more prevalent now than 20 years ago. My hunch is yes simply because the athletes are so much bigger and faster than they used to be. F * M = A and what not.

Probably. SI ran story a couple months ago about Jordan Reed and much of it was about how players are so much bigger and faster now and that was causing more injuries.

In general I think it's the playing surface evolution as well. Obviously the field turf / blended surfaces are way better than the carpet on concrete astroturf from back in the day, but all NFL field surfaces are geared towards increasing speed and traction without requiring players to have 3/4" cleats to gain footing. Basically transforming football fields into basketball courts. The problem with that is it allows for bigger and faster players to play extremely fast, increasing the recklessness they are throwing themselves around with and cutting on a dime.

I feel like the ligament injuries have drastically increased with the advent of these artificial surfaces, and it's only enhanced by players being able to increase muscle/size/speed parameters while the ligaments holding them together aren't able to support them.

If the NFL were to go back to predominantly grass surfaces, the game would slow down and maybe the ligament-type injuries wouldn't be as pronounced...however I don't know if having all the fields play like Soldier Field would be good for the game and it would probably lead to other injuries commonly caused by slips/uneven surfaces (groin pulls, ankle sprains, etc)

I hate to be a science nerd at a football party, but its actually F = M * A. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-press-release/article-1/CB-Demetri-Goodson-activated-from-PUP/bd72602b-a699-4231-ac94-ce8739bb5890

Demetri Goodson activated from PUP list; Kevin King placed on IR.

Hopefully this means King's shoulder will have time to heal, which is better long-term than having him play fractions of each of the last 4 games this season.

I hate to be a science nerd at a football party, but its actually F = M * A. ;)

Yikes. I knew that! :laughing

Archived