Brewer Fanatic

2017-09-24: Cubs (Quintana) at Brewers (Anderson) 1:10 PM CDT (Brewers lose, 5-0)

hawing
I'd think there has to be a Reds sweep to give us any shot at this point. I've seen enough Cardinals v Brewers at this point to expect the worst. Sucks to think we could have easily taken 3/4 here and been in a totally different situation.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Genius strategy by the Brewer offense. Tank the game and let Quintana go 9 so the Cubs can rest up their pen and sweep the Cards. Well played.

lol

good call.

Of course this was not the Brewers real plan late in the game. However, no doubt this is true despite how small the advantage really is.

Cubs have won the division, simple fact. Only way the Brewers likely win the wildcard is for the Cubs to absolutely win the division with a series win over the Cards. Fact of the matter is we now need to be rooting for the Cubs to sweep the cards (or at least win the series), which in turn would eliminate the Brewers from the division. However, this would help the Brewers make it really a two team race against the Rockies for the 2nd wildcard. Dare I say, "Go Cubs"?

Yes go Cubs, and not just because I hate the Cards 1000x more. They have a Bill James clinch (lead squared is more than games remaining times 4) and 99+% chance in the simulations. The problem is that they will have to win at least one meaningless game to win more than 2 in the series.

Yes go Cubs, and not just because I hate the Cards 1000x more. They have a Bill James clinch (lead squared is more than games remaining times 4) and 99+% chance in the simulations. The problem is that they will have to win at least one meaningless game to win more than 2 in the series.

I don't think the Cubs will ease up on the Cards if they were to win the first two and have everything clinched up.

I don't think the Cubs will ease up on the Cards if they were to win the first two and have everything clinched up.

I disagree. Maddon is not dumb, he is not going to put a rivalry ahead of bigger picture goals, and he made it a point to start resting guys in the middle of September last year when they had everything locked up.

I'm not saying he's going to trot out Sunday lineups every day, but he's definitely going to try to set up his rotation for the playoffs and get his top relievers some rest.

To be honest, looking at the rest of the schedule, what the Cardinals do against the Cubs is of little consequence to us anyway.

Reason being, we likely need to go 5-1 at worst anyway just to have a shot at the Rockies. Might need to run the table.

That in itself would take the Cardinals out of the equation.

Archived