Brewer Fanatic

Brewer Ticket Stategy for Cubs Series at Miller Park

Austin Tatious

Can the Brewers work on a creative strategy to limit the infestation by Cubs fans to Miller Park? Perhaps the Brewers could do something like offer the seats at an exorbitant price, say 2x unless you're purchasing from a Wisconsin or Metro Milwaukee zip code.

Those discounted tickets could then be marked in some manner such that, upon admission, the buyer would have to show local ID at the gate for the ticket to be valid. That would avoid an obvious secondary market problem. The out of market fans could still buy - just at an exorbitant premium relative to local fans.

The Brewers are in it to make money, but the home town fans would fill the stadium anyway.

There should be a win-win scenario where the Brewers can make gobs of money and still keep a hometown advantage. Allowing a competitor to overrun your stadium in a pennant race should not simply be accepted with a defeatist attitude a la Bud Selig. Mark A can be creative.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can the Brewers work on a creative strategy to limit the infestation by Cubs fans to Miller Park? Perhaps the Brewers could do something like offer the seats at an exorbitant price, say 2x unless you're purchasing from a Wisconsin or Metro Milwaukee zip code.

Those discounted tickets could then be marked in some manner such that, upon admission, the buyer would have to show local ID at the gate for the ticket to be valid. That would avoid an obvious secondary market problem. The out of market fans could still buy - just at an exorbitant premium relative to local fans.

The Brewers are in it to make money, but the home town fans would fill the stadium anyway.

There should be a win-win scenario where the Brewers can make gobs of money and still keep a hometown advantage. Allowing a competitor to overrun your stadium in a pennant race should not simply be accepted with a defeatist attitude a la Bud Selig. Mark A can be creative.

Management appears not to care about getting more Brewers fans in the door. Money rules. In the days when all tickets were the same price and the secondary market was less accessible, more Brewers fans would have been in the park.

I can't believer people actually think any type of "strategy" would work.

Limit to Wisconsin zip codes? There are no Cubs fans in Wisconsin? Half the people in my office (Milwaukee) are Cubs fans.

What about the secondary market? You can't regulate that.

If the Brewers ever did pull a stunt to try to limit ticket sales to Cubs fans I'd be more embarrassed than seeing Miller Park filled with Cubs fans. That entire concept reeks of a minor league organization. Just keep winning and more Brewers fans will show up.

yeah there is really nothing the brewers can do, while there are people from Illinois that come down its not a majority. also remember that Kenosha and Racine are are probably 50/50 between brewers / cubs fans. nothing you can do about that.

personally i think jacking up the price for these series only keeps brewer fans away. cubs fans are going to come also even the more expensive pricing is still cheaper than Wrigley by a good margin. personally why should i pay 1.5X face value from the brewers to feel like a visitor in my own park, when i can go to a reds game, pay the regular price and have a better experience.

The problem is they already have raised the prices for the Cubs and for parking at the Cubs games to the point that many seats are empty. It really only incentives the Cubs fans to go because if you are a Brewer fan it makes much more sense to go to a more moderately priced game.

personally i think jacking up the price for these series only keeps brewer fans away.

Exactly!

Personally, I stay away from the Cubs series because of their fans taking the joint over. Why pay those ridiculous prices as a Brewer fan to have an unenjoyable experience?

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

personally i think jacking up the price for these series only keeps brewer fans away.

Exactly!

Personally, I stay away from the Cubs series because of their fans taking the joint over. Why pay those ridiculous prices as a Brewer fan to have an unenjoyable experience?

Excellent point and I agree completely. I'd be kicking myself if I spent 2x a normal Brewers game to get my heart ripped out the last three games.

Do what many Wisconsin Badgers football opponents do and require you to purchase other games in order to purchase tickets for these games.

Won't hurt season ticket holders because they already purchase multiple games. Most Brewers fans will go to multiple games over the course of the season so it won't hurt them.

The only way the Brewers would do this is in a playoff series with the Cubs -- they would absolutely have to in that scenario. The Bucks did that in their Game 6 in 2015 against the Bulls and it worked mildly successfully.

In a playoff situation there is very little extra the Brewers could do to pack the place with Brewers fans instead of Cubs fans. As it is most playoff tickets are sold to full or partial season ticket holders. The remainder are sold through a lottery (I suppose the lottery could be limited to Wisconsin residents or at least exclude Illinois). But plenty of people would still sell tickets on the secondary market just like they did in Cleveland last year for the World Series.

The problem is the discrepancy in population between Chicago and Milwaukee metro areas. Chicago is 5 or 6 times larger. If it were reversed, the opposite would occur at Wrigley. What annoys me is this discrepancy is never brought up. The media lavished praise on what a great fan base the Cubs have. It's strictly the numbers.

The problem is the discrepancy in population between Chicago and Milwaukee metro areas. Chicago is 5 or 6 times larger. If it were reversed, the opposite would occur at Wrigley. What annoys me is this discrepancy is never brought up. The media lavishes praise on what a great fan base the Cubs have. It's strictly the numbers.

Or more Brewers fans buy season tickets.

I'm always amazed at the amount of people with that kind of disposable income, and time.

Maybe in retirement, that would be great, but how do people with jobs and families find the time to make almost every single home game?

The cost alone is prohibitive to most...

Or more Brewers fans buy season tickets.

Not to mention, season ticket holders sell their tickets to the Cubs series frequently because they can rape the Cubs fans for ridiculous amounts of cash, and because they don't want to sit amongst them...lol

There are multiple season ticket holder plans that are not the whole season. As for raping Cubs fans for ridiculous money, that's closer to smart business. Sell a couple series and pay for the majority of your ticket package. I can't fault people for that.

“I'm a beast, I am, and a Badger what's more. We don't change. We hold on."  C.S. Lewis

Do what many Wisconsin Badgers football opponents do and require you to purchase other games in order to purchase tickets for these games.

Won't hurt season ticket holders because they already purchase multiple games. Most Brewers fans will go to multiple games over the course of the season so it won't hurt them.

I think the Tampa Bay Bucs did this when they were in the same division as the Packers back in the day. They got tired of Packers fans taking over "the big sombrero" and creating Lambeau South.

Archived