Brewer Fanatic

Who is Relieving Thursday?

rickh150

Knebel and Swarzak pitched 3 games in a row.... both probably out tomorrow. Yet, how could CC not pitch Knebel if leading in the 9th tomorrow?

Would Hader pitch 3 innings? Jeffress close?

I would think that at this point, both would be available tomorrow. If they had to pitch, they'd definitely not be available Friday, but it's Sept 20th and we have to take 3 from Chicago to have a realistic chance to win the division.

Knebel and Swarzak pitched 3 games in a row.... both probably out tomorrow. Yet, how could CC not pitch Knebel if leading in the 9th tomorrow?

Would Hader pitch 3 innings? Jeffress close?

I would think that at this point, both would be available tomorrow. If they had to pitch, they'd definitely not be available Friday, but it's Sept 20th and we have to take 3 from Chicago to have a realistic chance to win the division.

I tend to agree, but if one or both don't go, I get that too. Then I expect Hader, Hughes, and Jeffers in late innings.

Brewers have had two blowout wins versus the Cubs. Get one of those tomorrow, and the bullpen issue is solved. Even a 4/5-run lead might be enough.

If not, then it looks like Wang is available as the situational lefty, along with the fake lefty Drake. Jeffress might be able to finish a lefty-righty sequence after Wang/Drake. Hader should be able to go an inning. Hughes might be the default closer.

Ready or not, time to take the kid gloves off Taylor Williams.

Still blows my mind that Aaron Wilkerson received a start while Jungmann didn't even get a call up

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

I think you have to hope for a long start from Davies, with Garza/Guerra as middle innings options should he not have it.

18 outs from Zach, 3 from Garza/Guerra/Drake, 3 from Hughes, 3 from Torres/Jeffress?

Too much to hope Zach can go 7? Only having to get six outs puts the BP in okay shape. Honestly, I'd rather not throw Swarzak or Knebel out there after watching them grind last night. This isn't an injury/rest issue so much as an effectiveness one. We saw what happened to Chapman in the WS last year, and the workloads for Corey and Anthony have been beyond that without the off days. Hader if you have to in the ninth.

If they don't call up at least Taylor Jungmann tomorrow, and maybe even Jorge Lopez, I don't understand it. This is all hands on deck now. Can't afford to have a short bullpen in the last week of a pennant race.

agreed. hopefully, they've been keeping to a workout regimen since their seasons ended.

I'm really not that worried about it. Hopefully Davies can go at least 6, but if he's off both Garza and Guerra are available to eat up innings. Jeffress may be unavailable, he threw 30 pitches yesterday.

Still, you have Wang and Drake to play LOOGY. Hughes can go an inning, Hader should be available for at least one inning. Torres has actually been OK of late. Barnes threw 23 pitches last night, he may be available for part of an inning.

Not worried about the pen. It will again come down to whether the offense can up with the key hits with men on base.

A worn down Knebel/Swarzak are not going to be as effective as even a Jeffress/Torres/Drake. We've seen what happens to effectiveness when you overuse a guy. Think Smith/Thornburg, heck even Barnes this year to some degree. I know it's late in the season but these 2 guys just aren't going to be effective enough pitching with no rest. Counsel made a huge blunder pitching Swarzak in the 8th yesterday. Either roll with Hader or cross your fingers and combine Torres/Drake. It isn't a given by any stretch that those 2 guys blow the 8th. I'm ok with using Knebel in the 9th there, and then having Swarzak act as closer tonight if needed.

Considering the mess Counsel created for himself, I think the top 3 relievers for tonight would have to be Hader/Hughes/Barnes in the eyes of CC. Drake/Wang/Torres might pitch if Davies can't go deep. But that's the other piece here, Davies going 7+ strong innings would be unbelievably huge today. If Davies goes over 7 innings and we are leading a close game, I wouldn't be shocked if Hader was used to finish whatever is left and then is off limits tomorrow.

Guerra should have replaced Wilkerson last night. I simply cannot understand why Guerra is not being used. He's throwing it a lot better in the few times we've seen him. Hopefully Davies shakes off his last start and gets them into the 7th. Then it'll be Hughes, Drake, Wang, and Williams in a mix and match the rest of the way. Jeffress is probably available for an out or two. Maybe Knebel for an out or two in the 9th. Going to need both Wang and Drake to face Rizzo. Swarzak, Hader and Barnes probably not available at all.

Guerra early if needed. Garza and Torres to eat innings late in a blowout either way.

I looked at brewers pitcher stats vs cubs hitters this season. The Cubs have struggled mightily against Barnes and Hader, also to some degree against Drake as well. Hughes has a 2 WHIP, he probably shouldn't pitch at all this series if we can help it. The Cubs have also struggled against Knebel/Swarzak, but obviously those 2 guys aren't going to be available tonight.

Last night was tough but I don't blame Counsell for what he did. At this point every win is crucial, it's just too bad it didn't work out last night. Tonight Swarzak and Knebel are probably unavailable, so everyone else has to step up. Davies needs to pitch well (and deep), the offense needs to take pressure off the relievers, and perhaps most importantly our other relievers simply have to step up and get the job done if they're called upon. For guys like Torres, Drake, Hughes, Garza, Guerra, Jeffress, Barnes, etc. this is the most important game of the season. Let's hope they come through when the team needs them most.

I'm really not that worried about it. Hopefully Davies can go at least 6, but if he's off both Garza and Guerra are available to eat up innings. Jeffress may be unavailable, he threw 30 pitches yesterday.

Still, you have Wang and Drake to play LOOGY. Hughes can go an inning, Hader should be available for at least one inning. Torres has actually been OK of late. Barnes threw 23 pitches last night, he may be available for part of an inning.

Not worried about the pen. It will again come down to whether the offense can up with the key hits with men on base.

Unfortunately this has been our Achilles' Heel since the AS break. We had multiple opportunities to get runs across last night - just a deep fly ball would have done the trick a couple of times - but we just couldn't put the ball in play. And when we did we hit into double plays. Until our hitting woes are corrected it won't matter who is relieving, even if we pass Colorado for that second WC spot.

Unfortunately this has been our Achilles' Heel since the AS break. We had multiple opportunities to get runs across last night - just a deep fly ball would have done the trick a couple of times - but we just couldn't put the ball in play. And when we did we hit into double plays. Until our hitting woes are corrected it won't matter who is relieving, even if we pass Colorado for that second WC spot.

Santana failed in the clutch by swinging at a ball that was chin high. Until he proves he can command the zone in pressure situations, he'll not be elite. It was close but Arcia might have swung at ball four too.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Santana failed in the clutch by swinging at a ball that was chin high. Until he proves he can command the zone in pressure situations, he'll not be elite. It was close but Arcia might have swung at ball four too.

His numbers with men in scoring position:

.306/.416/.586

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Counsell ruined this series by pitching Schwarzak and Kneble Wed. leaving them unavailable for Thursday. Hader should have finished out that inning. And even been there for the 9th.

Counsell with all these moves, and then being tied when 9th and extras come to have Bandy/Susac be your best bats for the 10th inning.

A loss to the Pirates was only a 1game swing with the Cubs. a loss to the Cubs when ahead is a 2game swing, maybe even 2.5 technically because of w/l tiebreaker. Needed to be focused on the Cubs series in your managing over the Pirates on the road.

I've been saying for months that I can't believe Drake was still on the team. I know they didn't have much of a choice last night or anything. Just that they didn't figure it out months ago that this guy can't hack it and found someone else somehow to be worthy of that spot. It is what it is I guess, obviously they did add two guys in Jeffress and Swarzak, just hard to believe we're needing to use Drake in close games.

Archived