Brewer Fanatic

Are teams laying down for us?

MilwaukeeDoctor

Mostly just the difference between teams that are out of it and the Brewers that are young and still in it.

True but good teams like the Dodgers and Nationals basically laid down for us as well.

No. No, they didn't.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Mostly just the difference between teams that are out of it and the Brewers that are young and still in it.

True but good teams like the Dodgers and Nationals basically laid down for us as well.

The Cubs, Yankees, and Red Sox also laid down for us, because jeopardizing their own chances at making the playoffs was more important than facing a playoff scenario that did not include playing the Brewers.

I'll be fascinated if we have something to play for in the final series and the Cardinals don't. They won't lay down, because nobody really does that and anyhow Cardinal Way blah blah blah, but I know several Cardinals fans who would rather see us beat the Cubs than the Cardinals win some meaningless games.

I would grant that the Pirates outs on the bases last night were gifts. But no way I'd call it laying down, in that they're trying to lose or anything. Just general lack of focus due to the games being meaningless. No one is going up there trying to make an out or intentionally throwing meatball pitches. Sitting injured players, playing youth for experience, combined with general slightly less intensity/focus and it gives the competitive teams an advantage right now. Also probably why the Cubs and Rox have been doing so well.

No major league player is laying down. Their salary depends on it too much. Is there a handful of guys on lousy teams that already have made their cash and might not be intense as if they were in a postseason push? I could buy that.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

The answer to this question is obviously no, but I could see a vast portion of Cardinal fans in the final series rooting for losses against us if we are still in the division race. As much as they hate us, they hate the Cubs much more. I could see many of their fans preferring to see us win the division over the Cubs than for them to win two meaningless games at the end of the season.

That won't extend to their team, unfortunately. But it probably won't be as hostile of a crowd as it usually is at Busch.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived