Brewer Fanatic

Cardinal Pessimism Thread

Dead Simmons

Pretty disappointing September around here. The Cub sweep was a dagger to the heart, but as I previously said: We were not going to do squat in the playoffs even if we made it. You guys have a punchers chance.

Good luck and keep the pressure on those Cubs/Rockies. ;)

The Cardinals seem to exist to give us misery. Beat us in the World Series, beat us in the NLCS, when we win and have fun they tell us we don't have fun in the correct way, and when they finally have a chance to help us out in a small way they get swept by the Cubs.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

The Cardinals seem to exist to give us misery. Beat us in the World Series, beat us in the NLCS, when we win and have fun they tell us we don't have fun in the correct way, and when they finally have a chance to help us out in a small way they get swept by the Cubs.

:laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing Just so damn funny.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I still don't understand how a SS doing back flips is not a violation of the Cardinals Baseball Etiquette Handbook. Or neck tattoos for that matter.

It's because the real crimes are untucking ones shirt, having lights on in the stadium, and hitting home runs against their pitchers.

I still don't understand how a SS doing back flips is not a violation of the Cardinals Baseball Etiquette Handbook. Or neck tattoos for that matter.

Their most beloved players has neck tats and has attacked and spit in umpires faces multiple times. Pujols is the 2nd worst offender in recent years of the HR stare/walk after Bonds. Yet they needed to drill Braun repeatedly for it. Love the Cards..

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Rogers Hornsby was in the KKK
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

The only positive coming from this is the fact it pretty well sank the Cardinals season. So now when we play them at the end of this month they won't be hunting a postseason spot. Sure they have the motivation to make us miss too, but nowhere near the motivation to make it in themselves. Hopefully their fans stay home too.

Would have been nice for them to win one so we could still be in the divisional race, but now we depend on 3/4 or better outcome in our series with them.

Also doesn't help we have a better record than the Minnesota Twins who hold an AL Wildcard spot. Makes one want to punch a wall, but I guess it is what it is.

This thread is awesome, and Dead Simmons is the best sport ever.

I'll say this: I hate the Cardinals less than I used to. Matheny is a sanctimonious tool, but LaRussa is probably the worst human being to soil MLB in my lifetime, and anyway Matheny does have the virtue of being a terrible manager who costs them games. It also wigged me out when they had like no African-American players for a decade -- that doesn't happen by accident -- but now they're overpaying for Dexter Fowler, which is awesome both as civics and because it was a bad use of their resources. Molina, whom people in StL love as if he weren't a complete jerk, will be gone soon, and hopefully they'll play and pay him deep into his decline. Beyond him, they don't have anyone as annoying and self-righteous as Chris Carpenter and Pujols used to be.

They're still a scary effective organization, and they'll always be the enemy. But they maybe aren't quite as good as they used to be, and they're pretty much keeping the Cardinal Way to themselves.

I loathe the Cardinals, and I loathe the Cubs - since I loathe them equally, I was hoping they would beat up on each other during their 7 remaining games in September, with one team winning 4 while the other won 3...the Cards got off to a lousy start towards that record by getting swept by the Cubs in Chicago - here's to hoping they at least split their remaining 4 game home series against the Cubs that happens right after this weekend's Brewer/Cub 4 game set.

I've maintained that the only way for the Brewers to win the NL Central this year was for it to be a 3 or 4 team race into the last week of the season - with everyone beating up on each other and overlooking Milwaukee until it was too late. I'm pulling for the Cards to crawl themselves back into it over the next week, so they still have something to play for against the Cubs. The Cards have 6 against the reds and pirates to hopefully inch back to within shouting distance of the Cubs in the standings before their 4 game series next week.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Cardinals haven't lost 90 games in a season since 1990. Before that, 1978. It's really an amazing stretch of almost 40 years. The next awful season they have, whenever that may be, will be cause for a lot of gloating.

Really is remarkable....too bad they are weenies.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Cardinals haven't lost 90 games in a season since 1990. Before that, 1978. It's really an amazing stretch of almost 40 years. The next awful season they have, whenever that may be, will be cause for a lot of gloating.

Really is remarkable....too bad they are weenies.

Ever since Andujar was a hot dog.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

The Cardinals are an example that you don't have to be "boom or bust." That gives me hope that the Brewers, under the correct management, can become a franchise that can expect to win regularly. The Cardinals never firesale their MLB team, but they always have a strong farm. They never gut the farm, but they always have a good MLB team. There is a mix somewhere between the "window strategy" and the "continual rebuild strategy" that can lead to prolonged success for a smaller market team. Hopefully the Stearns/Attanasio group can find that successful strategy, and if they do I hope Attanasio signs Stearns to a lifetime contract.

I know that wasn't to the topic of "Cardinal pessimism." It's easy to dislike them, but it's hard to be too pessimistic about a team that rarely has a losing season, much less a prolonged stretch of ineptitude like those so prevalent in Milwaukee and Chicago. This is probably what it feels like to be a Bears fan. They hate the Packers because their team can't be like the Packers.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

The Reds are laying down for them and they still can't win. Cut the baseball program!

That's the funniest post I've read in months. ;)

It's a sticky situation. When the Cards still had a chance and you guys were about to play the Cubs I was wondering what the best scenario was. Who do I pull for? After consideration I decided the best thing was for you to take 2 of 3. But then you swept them.

Then the Cubs swept us. Worst scenario for you, the death knell for us. Going forward I don't think you guys have to worry about whether the Cards will play them tough. We have 4 rookies playing every day and 2 in the rotation and they don't want to go back to the Memphis bushes.

I don't know if I envy or feel sorry for you guys. For me the worrying is over. I've been eased to the ground while you guys are still dangling over a boiling pot!

I'll say this: I hate the Cardinals less than I used to.

Not hating the Cardinals as much?

How am I supposed to explain that to my kids?

Thanks for the link. (That's because they got skidmarks in their britches!) I knew nothing of this. Now I know why Clark was fired from the pre-game show and why he spilled the beans on Albert's PED use.

And to the poster who pointed out the 10 year stretch with little or no Black American players: it's a situation that Cardinal fans don't seem to care about. They don't say nothing. I was banned from the Post Dispatch's infamous Cards Talk for bringing it up some 8 years ago.

Archived