Brewer Fanatic

2017-09-16: Brewers (Davies) "at" Marlins (Conley) at Miller Park, 6:10 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 7-4]

hawing
  • Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Braun for Puig, McCarthy and whatever prospects we would've gotten is looking like a steal right now.

I love Stearns, but he missed his window on that one.

And I'm glad he did.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Braun for Puig, McCarthy and whatever prospects we would've gotten is looking like a steal right now.

I love Stearns, but he missed his window on that one.

And I'm glad he did.

Why? Braun isn't a special player anymore, and that trade would have both made us better and reduced payroll.

And I'm glad he did.

Why? Braun isn't a special player anymore, and that trade would have both made us better and reduced payroll.

Here is my list of reasons:

1. Braun is having a down year statistically sure, but he'll be fine moving forward I believe. I know you will tell others that he's not a "special" player anymore until you are blue in the face but I'm just not convinced that this window is completely closed.

2. I couldn't care less about the $20 million owed to him because to me, it's not blocking the Brewers from doing pretty much anything they want financially. Also, it's not my money and I believe fans make more of players salaries for what reason, I do not know.

3. I cannot stand Puig. I don't want him in a Brewers uniform. Never did.

4. McCarthy has no spot on this team either. He's not good and often injured. All he would have done is block younger guys from getting a crack at the rotation like Garza has.

5. If the prospect(s) were worth anything in this deal, Stearns would've pulled the trigger. Since he didn't, this trade is completely worthless in my eyes.

The "window" may have been there due to Braun's no-trade clause coming into effect but I just don't feel an appropriate trade was even out there to be had. Hence why I am happy he's still a Brewer and I'm excited to see him help this young wave of players turn this franchise into a winner.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I mean I just don't understand how it is even debatable. Puig has a 2.7 fWAR this year, Braun has a 1.2 fWAR. Puig is the better, younger player alone just straight up, while also being cheaper and having less of a future commitment.

Not to mention Puig is available every day and does not need to be treated like a fragile piece of china.

This is without even considering the value of McCarthy and two prospects of possible value . How is this even debatable anymore?

Nice to see Garza have some success. Yeah he gave up a run but threw it well tonight.

I mean I just don't understand how it is even debatable. Puig has a 2.7 fWAR this year, Braun has a 1.2 fWAR. Puig is the better, younger player alone just straight up, while also being cheaper and having less of a future commitment.

Not to mention Puig is available every day and does not need to be treated like a fragile piece of china.

This is without even considering the value of McCarthy and two prospects of possible value . How is this even debatable anymore?

I just listed you MY reasons. You may disagree with them, I'm good with that. Continuing to spew the "how is this even debatable" line doesn't come off well. Learn to agree to disagree with people. It won't kill ya, I promise. ;)

Nice to see Garza have some success. Yeah he gave up a run but threw it well tonight.

And that run never would've come across if Counsell hadn't wasted his challenge on something unwinnable.

I get that he wasted it but I've seen other managers still go out and talk the umpires into reviewing the call. Not sure why this didn't happen.

And that run never would've come across if Counsell hadn't wasted his challenge on something unwinnable.

I get that he wasted it but I've seen other managers still go out and talk the umpires into reviewing the call. Not sure why this didn't happen.

Good point. That's a double whammy for Counsell.

I just listed you MY reasons. You may disagree with them, I'm good with that. Continuing to spew the "how is this even debatable" line doesn't come off well. Learn to agree to disagree with people. It won't kill ya, I promise. ;)

I typed that last one and hit post before your list of reasons came up which I will respond to. Patience please.

I typed that last one and hit post before your list of reasons came up which I will respond to. Patience please.

No need. I know your feelings. Save your time and effort.

My only contribution to that argument would be that i wouldn't be so confident that Puig would have rebounded this season like has if he'd have been traded to MKE. HEck, he might have put up a fuss and refused to report. Either way he'd be coming in with a bad attitude. As said, we don't know the prospects so it's tough to know for sure. Just adding that you need to remember that at the time Puig was unplayable and who knows how he'd have reacted after the trade. Just saying to factor that in the equation.

I know Braun's had a rough few weeks. But tonight he hit the ball hard 4 of 5 times.

And I'm glad he did.

Here is my list of reasons:

1. Braun is having a down year statistically sure, but he'll be fine moving forward I believe. I know you will tell others that he's not a "special" player anymore until you are blue in the face but I'm just not convinced that this window is completely closed.

2. I couldn't care less about the $20 million owed to him because to me, it's not blocking the Brewers from doing pretty much anything they want financially. Also, it's not my money and I believe fans make more of players salaries for what reason, I do not know.

3. I cannot stand Puig. I don't want him in a Brewers uniform. Never did.

4. McCarthy has no spot on this team either. He's not good and often injured. All he would have done is block younger guys from getting a crack at the rotation like Garza has.

5. If the prospect(s) were worth anything in this deal, Stearns would've pulled the trigger. Since he didn't, this trade is completely worthless in my eyes.

The "window" may have been there due to Braun's no-trade clause coming into effect but I just don't feel an appropriate trade was even out there to be had. Hence why I am happy he's still a Brewer and I'm excited to see him help this young wave of players turn this franchise into a winner.

1. And you can wait for him to magically morph into a special and healthy 2012 version of himself until you are blue in the face as well. Probably not going to happen at age 34 and I do believe his PED history probably makes the odds longer than they would be for another 34 year old.

2. More flexibility is always better than less. It's not a huge deal, but if you can pay a better player less money that's obviously a good thing.

3. That's a matter of personal preference, but the expression of stones in glass houses kind of applies here too. Braun obviously is no saint either.

4. Don't really care much about McCarthy, he was more just a salary offsetter for LA. in the deal anyway. But he would have been better than Garza this year when healthy.

5. You literally not even 2 months ago said that you think the Brewers could have landed Bellinger for Braun, but then Stearns got greedy. Now you say you don't believe an appropriate trade was even out there to be had?

It's looking like we might be in a position where we need to sweep the Cubs yet again, this time in a 4 game series . :/

Not impossible, but man we are just getting zero help.

Help is always nice but the best teams tend to win at the end of the year when they need to. It might just be the case that we aren't one of the best teams this season.

There have been numerous times this season where we had a chance to put some distance between us the Cubs but we never could. I believe we have the pitching going forward but until our offense is more consistent we are going to have problems winning when we have to.

However, no matter what happens in these last couple of weeks this has been a fun season. Nobody expected this group to be in contention in September last April. The future for this team hasn't been this promising in eons. If our guys can become more patient at the plate and drive in more runs 2018 can be special.

I'm what might've been the most important plate appearance of the season, with the bases loaded and a full bench, Craig Counsell thought Hernan Perez was the best choice.

That might be the first time I've been truly disappointed in him all season.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

There have been numerous times this season where we had a chance to put some distance between us the Cubs but we never could. I believe we have the pitching going forward but until our offense is more consistent we are going to have problems winning when we have to.

However, no matter what happens in these last couple of weeks this has been a fun season. Nobody expected this group to be in contention in September last April. The future for this team hasn't been this promising in eons. If our guys can become more patient at the plate and drive in more runs 2018 can be special.

And how are we going to beat the Cubs in 2018 if we couldn't beat them in 2017 when they had a down year?

Archived