Brewer Fanatic

2018 Bullpen

clancyphile
  • Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I like the idea of having Neshek in the pen.... maybe at 2 years for 16 mil? He's another late inning option, a veteran, a crafty sidewinder that complements our hard throwers. We have all the $ for it.

I'm all for making the 2018 pen the best pen this organization has ever seen. Knebel as the closer. Keep Hader in his role. Bring in a Neshek and another solid piece. Figure out the back of pen in ST..... we have many quality candidates.

Our team lost tons of leads last year. A top 3 bullpen turns the table on that.

I'm all for the bolded part. Personally, I'd sign Swarzak ASAP and then target a Neshek or Shaw or whomever from that echelon of FA relievers, too.

When MLB was going through the recent phase of grossly undervaluing (and therefore grossly underpaying) closers a handful of years ago (think: post-Cordero era in MIL, so circa 2008 and the few following years), it was still obvious that the best teams had killer bullpens, and those lousy teams with lousy bullpens were all the more demoralized by poor relievers who would routinely blow late leads, snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. The Brewers experienced their share of that. By contrast, when the Brewers were a top NL team in 2011, that the back end of their bullpen was pretty much elite from the 6th or 7th inning on -- Hawkins & Saito, handing off to K-Rod & then Axford -- was a huge contributing factor to that success and no mere coincidence.

One guy I'd love to see the Crew get (via trade) is James Pazos. Power lefty arm in the Seattle pen. I think he could be had on his own for a relative song (Jungmann?).

When I put together my off-season plan, I did package Aguilar, Broxton, and Jungmann for Pazos and prospects. Still would do that deal, especially if the Crew could sign Otani or Sabathia.

• 1 month later...

taking a look at 2018 bullpen candidates on the 40-man roster with number of remaining minor league options . . .

jacob barnes (2)

oliver drake (0)

yovani gallardo (3, but can refuse optional assignment, voiding his contract, and become a free agent)

junior guerra (0)

josh hader (2)

adrian houser (1)

jeremy jeffress (0)

corey knebel (1)

boone logan (unclear on remaining options, but if he does have an option, he can refuse like gallardo can)

jorge lopez (1)

brent suter (2)

wei-chung wang (1)

tyler webb (2)

taylor williams (2)

• 2 weeks later...

The lack of involvement for the Brewers in the FA reliever market makes me believe several things:

1) Josh Hader is staying in the pen. (Again, just my opinion based on the evidence)

2) The Brewers are really optimistic about one or more of Williams, Lopez, or Houser making significant contributions this year.

3) The organization is buying into a Jacob Barnes bounceback season and believes he's much better than his 2017 season.

4) They aren't keen on 8M+ price tags for late inning relievers.

5) A trade for a reliever is still a good possibility.

1. I think Hader is seen as a key part of the pen in 2018. He was lights out as a fireman, so don't mess with success. Knebel has the 9th locked down.

2. Jeffress has pitched markedly better in Milwaukee than elsewhere. Taylor Williams looks like a right-handed version of Hader. In a very small sample size, Gallardo put up a 1.69 ERA as a reliever, and that could be good.

3. Barnes is interesting. His K/9 went up from 8.8 to 10, and his hits/9 went down from 8.1 to 7.1. The problem was his BB/9, which went from 2.0 to 4.1, and his HR/9, which went up from 0.3 to 1.0. I think they are banking on him settling between 2016 and 2017. It will either be him or Gallardo. Both have options left.

4. Yeah, if the Crew wants late-inning relief, they need to look at the minors. Bickford, Houser, Lopez, and Tyler Webb all look like folks who could be depth in that department. Further down, Nate Griep, Jesus Brea, Quintin Torres-Costa, and Cody Beckman all look intriguing. Don't overlook Nick Ramirez, either.

5. I don't see them trading for relievers at this point. I'd like Pazos from Seattle or Steckenrider from Miami, but I'm not sure how to get them without overpaying.

According to Heyman Brewers still looking at FA bullpen market

Bruce Rondon please. :)

Oh would be nice.

IF Bruce Rondon actually wants to play. He was a major head case (out of control, intentionally throwing at opponents (I believe at least 1 was toward the head). I would stay away from him..

IMHO - if Verlander, VMart & Miggy can't get someone in line, forget about him..

According to Heyman Brewers still looking at FA bullpen market

Barnes options about to get used.

4 staters in place. Gallardo Guerra Wilkerson have a 5th role shot but that's only if we dont add one.

Knebel hader albers jeffress logan suter (seems to make a lot of sense as a longman as a 3rd lefty, due to his adaptable laid back mindset)

We add 1 barnes is in AAA with williams and ramirez. Serious depth.

• 1 month later...

Here's how I see it at the moment:

Tier 1: Knebel, Hader

These guys are obvious locks.

Tier 2: Barnes, Albers, Jeffress

These guys are obviously not Tier 1 but they're all safe IMO.

Tier 3: Williams, Suter, Logan

Here is where the bubble starts. My feelings on Williams are known and he deserves a spot. If the organization is interested in not blowing as many late games as we did last year in April/May, we need to avoid getting too cute with 'depth' and prioritize keeping our best arms. Keeping an arm like Drake or Gallardo to stash Williams in the minors because he has an option is not 'depth'.

Speaking of Yo I see him missing final cuts and Suter beating him out for swing/long man. I am not crazy about Boone Logan but I assume they are keeping him or Drake so that being the choice I'll take Logan.

Here's how I see it at the moment:

Tier 1: Knebel, Hader

These guys are obvious locks.

Tier 2: Barnes, Albers, Jeffress

These guys are obviously not Tier 1 but they're all safe IMO.

Tier 3: Williams, Suter, Logan

Here is where the bubble starts. My feelings on Williams are known and he deserves a spot. If the organization is interested in not blowing as many late games as we did last year in April/May, we need to avoid getting too cute with 'depth' and prioritize keeping our best arms. Keeping an arm like Drake or Gallardo to stash Williams in the minors because he has an option is not 'depth'.

Speaking of Yo I see him missing final cuts and Suter beating him out for swing/long man. I am not crazy about Boone Logan but I assume they are keeping him or Drake so that being the choice I'll take Logan.

I think there is only two spots open just like the rotation unless there is an injury.

Yo or Suter for long relief. Williams & Hoover for short.

• 2 weeks later...

Somewhat of a surprise to me, I thought Guerra was going to make it and I thought Gallardo had a better than 50/50 chance. I think the Yo move is a pretty good sign for Hoover and Taylor Williams. Drake is also going to make it unless they find someone else in other team's cuts.

Knebel

Hader

Albers

Jeffress

Barnes

Hoover

Williams

Drake

Archived