Brewer Fanatic

2018 Bullpen

clancyphile

I'm a big fan of JJ, but with his 2 years of cost friendly team options the next 2 years, I can't imagine the Brewers would be highly motivated to do an extension. Maybe after next year, but the current options do take him through age 32 season, so any extension would be starting to be talking middle 30s which might be a turn off from the Brewers side in doing an extension, rather than just going year to year and then talking a 2-3 year contract once he's a FA again.

Hader would be interesting, since he's going to be coming up for arbitration after 1 more year, and he's young so an extension to cover a year or 2 of FA would give some cost certainty and additional control for the Brewers, and guaranteed money for Josh in case of injury. Since he's already controlled for 4 more years, with his talent and youth, the motivation to get more control, it seems like an extension would probably be worth it even if he did deal with some injuries for parts of a couple of years in the contract.

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't really see a reason to lock up Jeffress earlier than we have to. Id take him to FA every single time. He is unlikely to ever get what you would consider market value due to struggling elsewhere (on and off the field). Not to mention at this point for his own personal wellbeing/success I would be willing to bet a "team friendly" deal would be in store to boot.

Why would we extend him two years early? Especially for a pitcher who will be 33+?

I don't really see a reason to lock up Jeffress earlier than we have to. Id take him to FA every single time. He is unlikely to ever get what you would consider market value due to struggling elsewhere (on and off the field). Not to mention at this point for his own personal wellbeing/success I would be willing to bet a "team friendly" deal would be in store to boot.

Why would we extend him two years early? Especially for a pitcher who will be 33+?

I agree with you, but here are a couple potential reasons why:

I would say the ease of knowing you have a player locked up longer to go along with the player not pressing to earn that contract (Villar for example). I agree Jeffress feels comfortable here and would most likely be willing to sign for less than he'd get on the open market, but that is not a guarantee. Also, if the Brewers have a down year, trading Jeffress with 3 year left on his contract can bring back a lot more than a year by year contract.

Per Buster

Josh Hader has struck out 136 of 283 batters he has faced, allowing just 13 XBH.

In counts with two strikes, here's how hitters have fared:

0-2: 2-for-43, 32 Ks

1-2: 3-for-75, 57 Ks

2-2: 1-for-42, 32 Ks

3-2: 3-for-25, 15 Ks

Totals: 9-for-175, 136 Ks

Two strikes=It's over.

Incredible.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived