Brewer Fanatic

Rivera DFA'd to make room for Wilkerson

patrickgpe

According to Adam McCalvy Wilkerson wouldn't be post season eligible if they put Nelson on the 60 day DL and used that spot to call him up.

http://m.mlb.com/glossary/transactions/postseason-eligibility

Nothing about this indicates to me that DFA'ing Rivera and replacing him with Wilkerson somehow makes Wilkerson postseason eligible. Rivera wasn't even postseason eligible.

With two bullpen games every five days, another effective arm is huge. What would be even more huge is having Wilkerson pan out as a cheap 5th starter candidate for the next 6 years. I'd be interested in why he hasn't gotten a shot until now. His minor league stats are a WHIP below 1.1 and over a K per inning.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
With two bullpen games every five days, another effective arm is huge. What would be even more huge is having Wilkerson pan out as a cheap 5th starter candidate for the next 6 years. I'd be interested in why he hasn't gotten a shot until now. His minor league stats are a WHIP below 1.1 and over a K per inning.

Wilkerson played college ball at Cumberland - an NAIA school. He played all four years there. He had Tommy John right after college - and wasn't drafted. Because of the surgery, he could not pitch for over a year, so he wasn't ready to play pro ball until he was 24. Had to go to independent ball at that point. Red Sox signed him the next year. Just worked up the ladder slow and steady from there, but he really got started late as a pro. He was hit pretty hard last year in AAA - 6.42 ERA at Colorado Springs - after looking pretty good in Boston's system. I think that caused him to fall off a lot of radars.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Just the fact that he made the majors makes that Aaron Hill trade a big win for Milwaukee. Particularly given what Hill ended up doing post trade.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Yes Rivera was eligible, he was on the 40 man all year up to this point.

Yeah my mistake, I was thinking the 25 for some reason.

That still doesn't explain how Wilkerson is eligible just from designating Rivera when Wilkerson was not on the 40.

Yes Rivera was eligible, he was on the 40 man all year up to this point.

Yeah my mistake, I was thinking the 25 for some reason.

That still doesn't explain how Wilkerson is eligible just from designating Rivera when Wilkerson was not on the 40.

He was in the organization prior to September 1st.

Players must be on the 40-man roster, the 60-day disabled list or the bereavement/family medical emergency list as of midnight ET on Aug. 31 to be eligible for their respective clubs' postseason rosters.

Clubs can petition the Commissioner's Office to add any player that was not on the 40-man roster as of Aug. 31 -- provided the player was in the organization on Aug. 31 and is replacing a player who has spent at least 60 days on the 60-day disabled list

Wilkerson for Rivera does not meet either criteria.

Time to give Wilkerson a start maybe? I thought he looked great last night.

I loved his demeanor after retiring the side and striking out two in his MLB debut. Like it was no big deal.

Missed him last night. Can someone give me a little bit of a truncated scouting report. Velo, movement, delivery...

Time to give Wilkerson a start maybe? I thought he looked great last night.

I loved his demeanor after retiring the side and striking out two in his MLB debut. Like it was no big deal.

Missed him last night. Can someone give me a little bit of a truncated scouting report. Velo, movement, delivery...

Almost exclusively threw fastballs and stayed on the outside part of the plate all inning. Believe he mixed in a change and a curve once or twice. Both K's were swinging strikes at fastballs in or near the zone. Fastball consistently sat at 91-92. Think he touched 93 on his last strikeout pitch for the final out.

Archived