Brewer Fanatic

Jeffress to start tonight...

TURBO

Jeremy Jeffress will start Friday against the Marlins.

It's the first major league start for Jeffress in what will obviously be a "bullpen game" for the Brewers. Jeffress has posted a 2.70 ERA and 16/11 K/BB ratio over 16 2/3 innings since rejoining Milwaukee. It will be a "road" start that's played at Miller Park, as the game had to be moved from Miami following Hurricane Irma.

Sep 15 - 10:45 AM

Source: Milwaukee Brewers on Twitter

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Should be interesting. Hopefully he doesn't feel too much pressure on himself.

I think he will pitch 2 innings, 3 max. so I don't think too much pressure. I am sure Wilkerson is slated to pitch 2 or 3 too to try to get to the back of the pen with a lead.

Exactly. I've read people freaking out about this which is totally stupid. He's going to throw 2 innings as he's done quite a bit this year. The difference is it will be innings 1 and 2 instead of 6 and 7.

The Brewers have 17 pitchers on their active roster. Obviously not all are available, Nelson for instance, but if they can get through the first six innings there's no real difference between now and August.

Frankly, I think their ought to be more games that take advantage of the expanded roster than just throwing out the number five in the rotation.

If his turn to hit comes up in the top of the 2nd, I think Jeffress just goes 1 inning.

Frankly to me it makes zero sense. Counsell is way over thinking this. Start Wilkerson who's started all year. Use Jeffress if needed to get out of early jam. Then stick Guerra in there for 2-3 innings.

If his turn to hit comes up in the top of the 2nd, I think Jeffress just goes 1 inning.

Frankly to me it makes zero sense. Counsell is way over thinking this. Start Wilkerson who's started all year. Use Jeffress if needed to get out of early jam. Then stick Guerra in there for 2-3 innings.

I'd have to agree actually. This seems entirely silly. I don't understand the point of bringing up Wilkerson if it isn't to start. He not only has to adjust from going from AA to AAA to the majors in a couple weeks time, but now has to adjust to a bullpen role. If you wanted to do the bullpen game thing, fine. But it is so damn stupid for Jeffress to start it and Wilkerson to come in in relief.

Like most things, we are making a bigger deal about this than needed. If they only plan on pitching a 2-3 innings apiece, why does it even matter who starts the game? It's a bullpen game. We'll win 7-5 tonight.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Well it is pretty obvious to me. [sarcasm]Jungmann is a club house cancer.[/sarcasm]
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I'd have to agree actually. This seems entirely silly. I don't understand the point of bringing up Wilkerson if it isn't to start. He not only has to adjust from going from AA to AAA to the majors in a couple weeks time, but now has to adjust to a bullpen role. If you wanted to do the bullpen game thing, fine. But it is so damn stupid for Jeffress to start it and Wilkerson to come in in relief.

Right, so now we are starting a relief pitcher, making him uncomfortable, and having a starter come in for relief, making him uncomfortable...

Count me in the "this is a stupid idea" crowd.

Just another head scratcher from CC...

Even if it does work, the people who believe that relievers shouldn't be starting games will continue to do so. If Jeffress comes out and throws three great innings it won't matter. The life of being a MLB manager...

Even if it does work, the people who believe that relievers shouldn't be starting games will continue to do so. If Jeffress comes out and throws three great innings it won't matter. The life of being a MLB manager...

The life of a manager? Well, I guess I'd like to know his line of thinking as to why he is doing what he is doing... Just seems like he is trying to be too cute for the tam's own good.

I hope it works, we shall see.

It's definitely more of a culture shock for Wilkerson. Normally he knows days ahead of time exactly when he'll be pitching. Now he will get like 3 batters of lead time.

Where has it been stated that Wilkerson is even pitching in this game? I missed that part.

It's definitely more of a culture shock for Wilkerson. Normally he knows days ahead of time exactly when he'll be pitching. Now he will get like 3 batters of lead time.

Where has it been stated that Wilkerson is even pitching in this game? I missed that part.

If he isn't making this start, exactly what start do you think he's going to make? Him not starting today is a crystal clear indication that he isn't being brought up to start but to pitch in relief. Whether it's today, tomorrow, whenever...it will be in relief. I really shouldn't have had to spell this out for you...should have been very easy to piece together yourself.

If he isn't making this start, exactly what start do you think he's going to make? Him not starting today is a crystal clear indication that he isn't being brought up to start but to pitch in relief. Whether it's today, tomorrow, whenever...it will be in relief. I really shouldn't have had to spell this out for you...should have been very easy to piece together yourself.

Woah. Seems a little strong there. People have been talking about him relieving Jeffress tonight instead of the other way around, pretty sure that's what Brew4U was referring to and that argument only makes sense if it's pre-planned that he's for sure pitching tonight (and not just brought up to be available in general).

Regardless, not sure what the huge concern is here. You're acting like they're messing with his career or something. The alternative was for him to be done for the year, so why not bring him up and have him as an option out of the pen? Maybe one team or another gets a big lead and you give him a few innings in the middle of a game to save the rest of the pen one of these days. Good to have him around.

Archived